2010-09-02 20:34:43 (edited by aaron 2010-09-02 20:35:30)

hi,
so, direct 3d. it's used for games and such but i thought it'd be best to post in the off-topic room.
so, here's the deal. i have wanted to play sonic invaders again for so long now it's unreal, but it turns out that to get it to work you need direct 3d enabled. so, running the direct x diagnostic tool, it says direct 3d functionality is not available. i've installed drivers, i've even replaced graphics cards (a new nvidia card, i was already using nvidia) and i installed new drivers, yesterday i even ran the latest direct x update and it is still not working after all these months, and i keep coming back to this issue, and i, just, want, to, fix, it! I'm wondering whether to actually replace my nvidia card with an ati card, or, is there another way i can somehow, fix direct 3d once and for all?
edit: it's an nvidia g-force card.

2010-09-02 23:12:22

Which generation GeForce?

If it isn't disabled in the DXDiag box, there was a disable button in mine but I had to use the Jaws cursor to find it, maybe try poking around in the properties under device manager. I don't recall where it is but I know there used to be a slider where you could disable hardware acceleration in order to fix problems, it would eventually result in D3D being entirely unavailable if you set it low enough.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-09-03 16:06:31 (edited by aaron 2010-09-03 16:27:30)

The hardware accelleration is at full. I'm not sure how low to put it, or whether to change it at all. slider at 100%.

2010-09-04 18:02:12

At full is where it should be. No idea what's gone wrong sadly.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-09-05 13:30:29

it's strange, it's been like this for years now though and now it is really starting to annoy me, and i just want it back to normal. i've even gone o far as to reinstall direct x using the full install, and it didn't work.

2010-09-22 01:37:53

You can enable Direct3D from dxdiag by going to the display tab, your hardware acceleration does not affect the enabled or disabled status of Direct3D, it only sets its performance and maximum allowable resource consumption. I think the name of the option on the display tab is something like "Enable 3D graphics acceleration." It's been a long time since I've had to change this setting, so this may not be exactly correct, but it should give you a good idea of what to look for.