2021-04-26 22:08:59

Hello Folks,

So I very nearly just changed the title of the 3.6 topic and continued on but I figured that might be a bit confusing, hence, new topic!
For those not in the know (does secret handshake), Luna RSS is the 100 percent accessible, 100 percent free RSS feed creator and reader and podcatcher and pod searcher from Nathan Tech. It's a lot of ands, I know, but I'm still not sure how I want to format it!
It reads RSS feeds,
it streams podcasts,
it downloads episodes,
it searches two huge repositories,
it can help you create your own RSS feeds and it does way more too!

For those in the know, (does secret handshake), welcome to the secret handsahke club.
the changelog for 3.7 is, as always, posted at the bottom of this post for those interested, but highlights include bug fixes (of course), chapter support, a recently updated feeds list and many features besides!

You can update in the program, or download from here:
https://nathantech.net/products/software/lunarss.php

3.7.0:
Bug Fix: Fixed importing opml files as they were not being recognised correctly in the file dialog. Added support for xml files in this same dialog.
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where some feeds in foreign languages could crash the loader.
Bug Fix: The status text box now shows what feeds are being updated while they are being updated, rather than what it did before which was to show it in the second or two that they needed to be updated before the program took notice and did it.
Bug Fix: Put in a failsafe check for strange volume settings.
Feature improvement: Luna now handles problem feeds better including correctly shifting them to the error category where necessary.
New Feature: The import from file function is now more expressive about how many it finds and how many it fully imports.
New Feature: Added a recently updated feeds list to the main screen to allow you to see which feeds have been updated and jump quickly to them if you want.
New Feature: the Status dialog you can pull up to view feed status now includes when the feed was last updated by Luna.
New Feature: There is now an additional text box on the importing from file screen to tell you what number the program is on.
New Feature: Added chapter support for downloaded podcast episodes where supported.
New Feature: Added an add multiple links box.
New Feature: Luna can now pull youtube RSS feeds from direct Youtube channel links.

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-04-26 22:51:47 (edited by AlexN94 2021-04-26 23:48:57)

Sadly it still seems to freeze when trying to update my feeds to the new format sad The changelog looks super cool though, so looking forward to getting it to work.

Especially the YouTube feed part, that was new to me, but sounds super useful!

Thank you for making this software!

EDIT:
Reinstalling and deleting everything associated with it seems to have worked. Importing the feeds now big_smile

EDIT2:
Seems to work now, except now all the feeds are categorised as broken save a handful sad But at least I can open the software now, so that's still progress.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2021-04-27 00:09:38

@2 that's probably why it froze. Out of interest how long did you leave it for? It may have simply been being slow as it tried all possible solutions before it gave up on each feed and categorised it as an error smile

Hopefully the view status button will be able to help you figure out why it's erroring them smile

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-04-27 05:55:15 (edited by defender 2021-04-27 05:58:18)

@1
Awesome work, thank you!
I hope that in the next update we can get the ability to refresh all feeds at once, and that the position slider's weirdness can be fixed.
I'm also curious about how well the code is optimized for other repositories.  Like lets say Google or more likely Apple kills the ability for external programs to use their directory, how easy would it be for you to swap in a new service?  I just wonder for longevities sake.

Also, the reasons you give on your support page for not accepting donations are confusing and kind of worrying to me, but I respect you as a person so I'll drop it from now on.

2021-04-30 02:12:44 (edited by Chris 2021-04-30 02:13:10)

This just keeps getting better and better, thank you! I have a small issue. Do you know why some feeds such as The Gateway Pundit and Chrome Unboxed aren't updating? They update the first time I add them, but don't appear to do so subsequently.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-04-30 16:11:50

Curious, does it notify you when new episodes for a feed have been detected? Like does it poll the feeds from time to time or do you need to do that manually?

2021-04-30 19:31:18

I have the same issue. I reinstalled luna completelly, removed the rss data to start with new fresh copy. My podcasts simply don't update. All added from itunes database

check out my instrumental music at http://ondrosik.bandcamp.com

2021-05-01 00:15:23

Hello,

Please use the reporter from within the program to report any feeds you think are not updating.
Remember to include the feed link so it can be tested!

Also remember to check the status field, which tells you when the next update is, as well as viewing the feed's status from the context or action menu to see if there is an issue and what the last update message was.

HTH

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-05-12 09:59:18 (edited by Dragonlee 2021-05-13 12:08:40)

Cool to see the features I requested added in this version, like adding youtube channels and the recently added feeds list. However, there are quite a few bugs I have to report.

1. This one is not so much a bug, but I want to bring it up. When I installed 3.6 I opted for the portable version. When I wanted to update to 3.7 it seemed it's not possible to upgrade the portable version in place. I appreciate that the program informed me of the new update, but it seems the only way to upgrade the portable version is install the new version side by side, migrate feeds and settings from old version to new, and then delete the old version. Please let me know if there is a better story with upgrading portable, but I'm guessing there isn't.
2. In regards to the last point I also found that either the ompl files it generates are broken or it is unable to read in ompl files correctly, as when I was migrating versions, I first tried to do so by exporting my feeds to an ompl file and then importing it in the new version and it basically didn't work for almost any feeds. I ended up copy pasting folders between the the 3.6 and 3.7 to migrate my feeds. I have a feeling maybe the generated ompl file is malformed, since when I tried importing it in feedly, it failed to import any of the feeds.
3. When hitting enter on a entry in the recently updated feed list, instead of opening a context men for the entry, it opens up the context menu for the currently selected feed in the feed tree view. Instead I would expect it to open the context menu for the entry selected in the RUF list similarly to when hitting enter on an entry in a feed's context menu.
4. If a feed has more than one new entries since last refresh, the recently updated feed list will only add the latest new entry instead of all the new entries.
5. In RUF list, the feed name prefix is the feed's inferred name and does not take into account if the feed was rename

2021-05-12 12:41:37

Hey there,

In particular Dragonlee.
thanks for these reports smile in particular thanks for numbering them as it makes my life easier when crossing them off my to do list.
If i may, would you mind editing your original to include number 5? Just to double make sure I don't miss it smile

Relatedly to people mentioning feeds not updating, I recently subscribed to the NVDA list which I had an email about not updating but don't seem to be having an issue yet, so I was wondering if people would be able to, if you're having update issues, press your applications key or the actions button on a feed not updating and arrow down to view status. Let me know what that says? smile

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-05-13 12:14:15

@dardar I went ahead and merged the two posts into one.
also forgot to say thanks for working on this and responding to feedback smile

2021-05-16 22:45:11

Hi there.

So I just wanted to follow up further on post 9 as related to 3.7.1 which I've been working on:

1. Portable mode updates.
I'm working on this, but it sadly won't make it to 37.1, this is less of a Luna issue and more of an updator issue. I'm trying to think of ways around it right now but coming up a little blank. sorry
2. All fixed!
3. Okay, this I got stuck on. When you hit enter on an item in the recently updates feeds list it should just open that feed. No context menus at all. So confused as that it what it does for me sad
4. This was simply to keep the list from exploding if people have many feeds.
5. Er. Did you mean in the recent list? You wrote rough smile and it should still work even post rename but if not, lem know.

Nathan

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-05-18 01:13:56

Double post but:
Announcing the release of Luna RSS version 3.7.1.
Change log for this version is shown below, nice and short but hopefully people like it:
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug with exporting feeds.
New Feature: If you click on a feed while it is being updated, the program now flags you a warning just to let you know what you are looking at may not be the most recent.
New Feature: You can now hide the window and run Luna in the background.
New feature: Reintroduced the windows notification settings, but bigger and better than before!

The link is the same as in post one, but in case you want it again:
https://nathantech.net/products/software/lunarss.php

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-05-18 05:55:22

Cool cool.  Thanks for the update man.

2021-05-18 20:31:01

It appears the update, or me, may have broken something. Now when I launch the new version it immediately says it's ran into an error, which it wants to email to you. I have clicked yes on the prompt but I don't actually see the contents of that email, so can't share a log. If one exists, tell me and I'll happily share.

2021-05-19 11:42:17

Hi there!

Sorry for the delay.
I have recompiled and uploaded the software (which 9 times out of 10 fixes this kind of error). I'm not, quite truly honest 100 percent on why it's throwing a tantrum, but if someone could redownload and give it a try I'd appreciate it.
It all opens up and works fine on my end, but then so did the previous upload! sad

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-05-19 19:12:48

@12 thanks for the update smile
This time I decided to get the installed version in hopes that future upgrades would be easier. I exported my feeds from my 3.7.0 portable and imported into the 3.7.1 installed. Unfortunately, there are some problems in regards to my points in #9.
2. importing my ompl file, 16 out of 45 feeds error out, whereas they worked fine before. It seems the URLs weren't exported correctly. For some it seems like the URL it is trying to use as the feed URL is the home page URL instead.
3. Now instead of when hitting enter in the recent list it doesnt open the feed in the feed tree view, which is good. But, it seems to always open the feed for the top entry in the recent list, even if I am focused on an entry lower on the list for a different feed.
5. I wrote RUF list, as in R U F (acronym for recently updated feeds). Still the same problem. To give an example, say I imported a feed and inferred name is abc. Then I rename it to xyz. When new entries come in, the entry in recent list is abc: entry name, instead of xyz: entry name.

Also could I ask for it to be possible to export feeds as a list of URLs in addition to exporting as ompl? One URL per line, essentially a mirror version of adding multiple feeds.

2021-05-20 01:36:47

thumbs up to 17, just wanted to post to say duely noted smile

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-05-30 17:49:02

Anyone else having the issue that mutations to the feed list don't persist?
E.g. I delete a couple feeds, close the program, start it again, the deleted feeds are back. I subscribe to a feed, close the program, reopen, the feed is gone.
This is just a tad annoying smile

2021-06-03 21:55:55

Hello folks,

Luna RSS version 3.7.2 is here, with changelog as normal shown at the end of this post.
the link remains ever the same: https://nathantech.net/products/software/lunarss.php

3.7.2:
bug Fix: Fixed a bug that would occur when launching a second instance of Luna while the first was still running.
Bug Fix: When subscribing to a feed on the itunes search it now go backs to your search results once it is done. this likely lends itself to a whole smoother experience.
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug with certain feeds causing a crash on the feedly search.
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where the windows notification setting was not saving.
bug Fix; When you rename a feed it now renames it in the recent list.
Bug Fix: Added some additional code to mitigate a bug with activating the most recent list items.
New Feature: You can now select to autoplay episodes from the settings screen.
New Feature: You can now view feed descriptions in search results.
New Feature: You can now choose to start Luna Maximized.
New Feature: You can now export to a text file.
Typo Fix: Fixed all instances of OPML where they were written incorrectly.

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-06-04 13:01:38

@20, for me, I am using the portible version. the settings menu doesn't work. well it opens, I just can't move around in it. any way to fix this? tried maximizing but no luck.

I love audio games.

2021-06-04 17:07:29

Sounds great smile any clue about the oddity I encountered, where deleting feeds or subscribing to new feeds doesn't persist after exiting the program?

Thanks,

2021-06-04 17:12:07

And yep, confirming that the settings scrreen when broky broke. I only see the "autoplay episodes" checkbox even with ObjNav.

2021-06-04 19:20:07

indeed

I love audio games.

2021-06-10 15:52:24

Hello!

Luna RSS has been updated to 3.7.3, a bug fix release to 3.7.3.
The link, as ever, remains the same: https://nathhantech.net/products/software/lunarss.php

Changelog:
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug that cropped up due to the introduction of the new settings in 3.7.2 which was causing the settings screen to bug out.
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug with loading feeds where category could be lost.
Bug fix: Fixed the recent list activation bug.
Bug Fix: Fixed a bug with renaming feeds where it did not update the recent list nor did it save it properly. Two bug fixes in one!

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!