2021-04-18 17:55:43

I'm glad he did that, even though it might cost me a warning or a ban, I'm glad he exposed himself. I was thinking that level of assholery was lurking just beyond the surface, and I was correct.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-19 00:19:01

OK... TMI incoming:
I do this naked, in the kitchen, crouched on the floor... The kitchen has tiles, so hair isn't a problem, and I get as low to the ground (with the windows closed) so the hair doesn't have a chance to fly anywhere. The nakedness is so I don't get hair A: all over my clothes, and B: wafting everywhere when I take 'em off.

Other than that, it's all fairly easy so long as you don't want anything too artisanal.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-19 04:28:55

Decency? Who gets to talk about decency after using that tone in that manner first? GCW,  you just proved my point you just demonstrated your intelligence, or a total lack of it in your last two posts. I might also add you were the one to initially bring up my degree.
Jayde, was exactly the point I was trying to make. I clean out any amount of hair that can possibly be collected by hand. My hair is such that it falls into neat clumps that are easy to grab up and put in a shopping bag. Drains are a nonissue when the tiny thin film of hair washes down it. And remember my description of bathrooms. The euro style ones have massive floor drains with grates on them  and people almost always shave in the bathroom where the reamainder of hair gets washed down those floor drains.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-04-19 04:50:45

Ghost, the only point I want to raise here is that I'm not sure if those floor drains have the same sort of P-traps that bathtubs do. If they do, then that's cool...but I'm not certain. After all, you need to be sure that if bad stuff -does get down your drain, it's possible to go and clean it out.

GCW and Ghost, you're both annoying the living Christ out of me right now. The posturing is beneath both of you. I don't care which of you thinks you're smarter/tougher/more rational. Prove it with facts and quit the blustering, please.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-04-19 05:05:15

Wow. To think that this level of flaming arose from a discussion about cutting hair. I definitely think at least one warning is necessary haha. So dumb.
I definitely advise avoiding cutting any hair in a bathtub or sink, as personal experience has taught me that even millimeters long hair clogs a drain over time and it's gross to fix.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2021-04-19 05:50:27

Jayde, I actually  removed the plastic/metal grates on those floor drains a couple times, and they have a concrete bowl underneath so definately easier to clear out. But womens hair does muck them up.  But actually there are houses without a bathtub where you can shower in a curtained off area with nothing but the floor drain. Our family house has a bathroom with that configuration.
As for flaming, I wasn't the person taking up the agressive tone, nor throwing insults I meerly responded to accusations against me, and by matching the  tone used against me.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-04-19 06:09:30

Ghost. Dude. Have you ever heard the expression "two wrongs don't make a right"? Because if you have, you're doing an extremely bad job of putting it into practice.
Look. I get that you don't want to be kicked around or walked on. Trust me, I get it. Arguing facts is fine, and bristling a bit when someone else shows far too much snark is understandable. But all you really did was make things worse. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that you didn't start this hardly matters. As soon as you start throwing around attacks and all the rest, you are no better than the person who upset you. The fact that we've had this discussion before, and yet you refuse to change, tells me that this is a feature, not a glitch. Cut it the hell out, mate.
Remember that none of this is me saying that most or all of the blame rests with you. You have to own your shit, sure, but so do others who were flaming and whatnot.

As for the drain thing, thanks for explaining. I've actually seen the sort of European bathroom you're talking about, albeit only once.

2021-04-19 06:49:30

Moderation:
Ghost and Granny Cheese Wheel, a warning, for similar reasons. You both had the bit in your teeth here, GCW even pretty much admitting the post fell into attack territory. That it did. But the wonderful thing about warnings is that they do in fact expire. So let's cool it.

2021-04-19 08:02:32 (edited by Ghost 2021-04-19 08:02:56)

Jayde, I responded the way I did because I was attacked. My philosophy is you fight fire with  fire I won't be the agressor in a fight, but once that first shot is fired,  I  refuse to take any responsibility for anything that comes after.  In war, the same principle applies.  If someone throws shells across the border, the military  of the receiving country can bomb the places those shells came from, or fire shells in return.
As for euro style bathrooms, I thinks its overall a superior design when it is built of concrete and seramic tile. The washer also goes in the bathroom, so if pumps fail, or or a pipe bursts, the drains take care of that so no mess spreads out into the house.  I think showers in places like gyms or universities if you've seen them have the same principle.  At least they did when I saw them.
As for that whole topic on intelligence, I can present proof, and compelling at that. But this is a pointless discussion and getting into that would drag it on.

2021-04-19 08:46:03

God that escalation was hilarious. I went searching through post history, morbidly curious about what GCW and Ghost actually got warned for, and I gotta admit, when I saw it was on this topic I was like, how the fuck?
But congrats you two, you made it happen!  Drinks all around!

@chrisnorman7
This makes sense and yet is no less amusing to think about.  What if you left your door unlocked and a friend barged in?  Bwahahahaha.

2021-04-19 10:47:59

Just... just a seck. Did you just compare responding to someone in argument with firing deadly weapons back and forth in the middle of an open field?

2021-04-19 14:50:07

All I'll say about it is this:
First, those warnings were richly merited on both sides, IMO.
Second, argument and debate are conflict, not combat. Huge, huge difference. People who treat any sort of debate, disagreement or impugning of their intelligence or their words as immediate cause for escalation make bad friends, bad partners, bad business associates and generally just bad people in general. I mean, it's good not to be a doormat, but if the only way one can respond to hostility is with equal hostility, I feel like maybe you kinda missed the point.

2021-04-19 15:32:46

SO looking back at the post history, because my short term memory really does suck, I wouldn't have thought I escalated matters, but I guess I did, at least to some extent. Though I can't say I think it warranted Ghost's response. Here's the default pattern of behavior he uses. He makes an argument, usually a thin one at best, then sticks to it, gets mad when people argue with him over it, resorts to egotistical behavior including pride fullness and arrogance, and generally becomes hostile. He has attempted, on multiple occasions, to assert his intellectual prowess over his opponent by citing some, "advanced degree", without even bothering to mention what field it's in. Does this remind anyone of anything? Ahem... lawyer!

Now, read post 22, and read it well. If someone on the streets used that tone with me, we'd be fighting. But aside from that, just look at the level of arrogance it shows. If this guy thinks he's beyond all of us, then why come here at all? And I'm not the only one that has a problem with him.

As to my culpability, my biggest problem is holding grudges. I hold grudges longer than I hold the memories of what the person did to even make me hold a grudge against them. I don't even always hold grudges against people for things they've done to me. I still am pissed at my step grandma because after my grandpa died, she signed all of the land to her son, when it was meant to be divided between my dad, his brother and her son.

My dad never treated her any differently, we (me and my brother, my cousins and whatnot) never treated them any different. But I guess she didn't feel like we were truly part of the family because she wasn't our mother. Well, my dad and uncle were promised that land from their childhood by both their grandpa and their father, and they got fuck all.

So yeah I hold a grudge against Ghost for being a generally unpleasant nuisance on the forum. Should I, probably not, but there we are. The only reason more people don't have a problem with him is that he's not the right kind of nuisance.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-19 16:04:41

Yeah, Defender in post 35 pretty much sums up my experience reading this. And the signiture is the cherry on top of that reaction. LOL!!! Still though, that was the last topic I expected to get a flame duel going. Love that term, by the way. Thanks Jack for making that sound far more epic than it deserved... But yeah, as soon as I saw Ghost's first comment about the tub, and GCW's reply...I was like, here we go...

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2021-04-19 16:24:53

Christ, kiddos.

Well, I did it, and it worked well. Thinned out the hair with some scissors, went at it with the clippers. Leaned over a trashcan, which caught the worst of the mess. Then a friend went at the spots I missed, which only took a minute or two. Now my pandemic hair is gone, which is a huge relief. And now that I know what I missed, I'll do better next time.

Thanks to those of you who contributed productively. I just don't get the point of getting into a dickswinging contest about this, even if you *are* in the right. Folks, it's just hair. Chill.

2021-04-20 08:06:12

Jayde, being hostile in response  to hostilities  is  the only way. The alternative is to be a passifist monk and watch people shit and piss on you, and walk  all over you. Speaking peoples' language, and responding in kind promotes respect and fear, or both, which is good..
Gcw, your lack of education shows on every post you make on me. You claim  I claim having an advanced degree, and not say what it is, or where it is from.  Also,  you were the one actinng egotistical and errogant, and being a dick on this thread.  On the thread, if you spent about 20 seconds to do a search, you would know that I posted a script I had prepared while doing the degree to try to find study participants which has that info in it. Other than that, sorry guys, I'm not posting my deploma/transcript online under any circumstances.  And GCW, good point, why do I even bother replying to  you, conversing  with someone who  lacks a basic intelligence and research skills is killing off my brain cells.

2021-04-20 09:00:09

hello everyone, I'll talk about a few things in this post.
to the main topic, no, I've never cut my hair, but i would advise not doing it in the tub, though I don't really think its as much of a problem as people say.
my advise is to sit in a fairly empty room and do it, without a fan or anything, and then it will be easier to clean it up.
now, to the goast GCW flame war, if you can call it that.
first of all, I don't remember who brought this up, but degrees really aren't relevant here.
the talk here is whether hair belongs in the tub, not who is the more intelligent one.
and please don't think if the other person starts being unreasonable, they and only they are the problem, because it doesn't work like that.
now, to goast.
look, I've read the topic and agree with you feeling offended, I would too if I were spoken too like that.
and no, I'm not going to participate in a argument about whether GCW's points are right, because I've never seen this behavior he's talking about, so I can't judge fairly.
and I'm not really interested in talking about that, either.
any way, goast, I agree with you being offended, but I disagree that you have to either attack back or let the other attack you all he wants.
now, let me give you an example.
look at Jayde. he started as a mod whom no one liked, and I agree with the people after seeing how he acted there, but the point is, he got very unpopular for understandable reasons.
but what happened afterword?
he became admin, and most of the people realised that he wasn't how they thought he would be, and wasn't going to rule with an iron fist.
however, a few people, AKA simpter and deathstar didn't.
they kept attacking Jayde, and were very unreasonable.
but did you see what jayde did?
he didn't just start raging and ban them on the spot, even though most of the forum wouldn't have minded.
he just tried to talk to them, and when they made it clear they wouldn't listen, he stopped.
the point I'm trying to make is this. I don't know if this is how he thought, but 3 things could have happened.
1, they would come to their senses and would stop attacking,
2, they would keep attacking, but most of the others would stop taking them seriously. which is what happened. also, if they are doing it for attention, if you stop talking to them, they'll stop.
or 3, they'll agree to disagree, and won't keep attacking you.
so, what I'm trying to say is, GCW would do one of those things if you kept quiet.
GCW, same for you and goast.
if you 2 have something to tell each other, please don't flame, and if one of you think the other is beyond reason, leave them be.
instead, you are invalidating your points by flaming.
so, please stop.
got to agree with defender or who ever it was that said they were shocked the warning happened here, lol me too.
and if this turns into a flame war because of this post, I'm really sorry.

2021-04-20 11:34:15

@35
Luckily, our front door is one of those that locks automatically, and the only people I live with are my wife and cat, both of whom are kind of used to me doing odd things in the first place haha.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-20 11:37:26

@41
I'm sorry, I don't usually get involved in this sort of stuff, but that post makes you sound more like somebody who should be feared, rather than somebody who is approachable or friendly. If you're OK with that, and it sounds from your post like you value fear and respect over genuine emotional intimacy, then I wish you luck with that, there's probably a gang boss needing a lieutenant somewhere that could use someone with your apparent lack of empathy and social skills.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-20 14:57:45

That's what bullies do. They have to mock everyone around them, tell them they're shit etc. just to make themselves feel better.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-20 15:18:31

Just when I thought this topic couldn't get more ridiculous, post 41 raised the stakes a bit more.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2021-04-20 16:58:23 (edited by defender 2021-04-20 17:45:47)

LOL.  Socially inept guy obsessed with Academic intelligence and being quote unquote right with a desperate need to be listened too no matter what meets rageholic with small man syndrome who sees every disagreement as a nail in need of a hammer and has nothing better to do but pretend he's fighting a worthy battle.  It's a love story made in hell.

2021-04-20 17:10:17 (edited by Ethin 2021-04-20 17:12:49)

@41, I really don't know where you got that mentality, but that's fucked up like you wouldn't believe. Like seriously, dude, go learn proper social skills and human communication, because that's not how the world works, and not how a debate does, either. But hey, if you enjoy completely invalidating your entire argumentative platform, that's fine by me.
47, Yep. That descriptor -- academic intelligence obsessed know-it-all with  a desperate need to be heard no matter what -- describes Ghost to a tee.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-20 17:13:58

Seems like a case of I have to have the last word. haha

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-04-20 17:16:04

Heh. Yeah, I like a bit of fear to keep a polite society as much as the next person, but  immediately jumping to it the moment things get a little disagreeable may not be wise. It's important to also not escalate things, and at least in something like a forum conversation, it's even easier to walk away without causing harm, or to de-escalate a tense situation. In a forum conversation, it is possible to plan out your thoughts.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"