2021-04-16 11:22:04

Hello.
Yesterday i managed to setup a working powermac3,1 emulator with tiger10.4.6 in qemu with voiceover and sound working.
My host is catalina 10.15.6 on a mac pro 3,1.
For anyone interested, here's what i did.
Install the homebrew version of qemu: brew install qemu.
Ran the following command:
qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 -device ich9-usb-uhci1,id=newusb -device usb-audio,bus=newusb.0 -cdrom /path/to/tiger/dvd.dmg
And here's where it all went tricky.
Tiger booted in to the language selection screen, but no matter how hard i tried voiceover wouldn't budge.
Obviously cmd+F5 toggled my host voiceover, so qemu monitor was my next try.
Running sendkey meta_l-f5 didn't work, nor sendkey meta_r-f5, sendkey altar-f5, sendkey alt-f5, and any other combination.
I finally decided to go the press tab and space and hope for the best route, and it worked.
Thanks to VOCR i managed to find where certain controls are, and format the disk and install tiger.
Now, the sound. The qemu wiki article on tiger said that the sound stutters a lot.
Its true for the intro video, but right after that when the voiceover guy started talking, it went back to normal and i heard the classic "Mac OS X Tiger includes a screen reader called voiceover" message.
Toggling voiceover in the setup assistant was a miracle, because the quickstart toggles it for you at a certain point and that allowed me to press the skip button in the quickstart and proceed with the setup normally.
If you want a detailed guide/a premed disk image with the installer system, just let me know.

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2021-04-16 17:40:26

Moderation:
Stasp, I went ahead and edited your post to remove the dvd location on macintoshgarden, but for now I kept the rest of your post intact. Reason being I need to find some info on whether Apple has opted to consider Tiger historical preservation the way they've done with some pre-osx operating systems. I.e. it may or may not be legal to run in other means, we'll just have to see. It is also worth noting that Apple had the same license that implied IOS cannot be run on anything other than branded hardware, and they actually lost a case with Correllium over IOS virtualization, with the court stating that running one of those falls under fair use. So this is worth a look.
Additionally, the Tiger disks were published to the internet archive, and a company like Apple owuld have most certainly have noticed that by now with how big the internet archive has been blown in the legal circles, which leads me to believe they have laready basically signed the death warrant on any concern they had for the older operating system.