2021-04-15 04:13:06

Hello everyone.
I just watched a video that was giving a bunch of explanations about different features and modes in the upcoming MLB the show game, and it just got me thinking. I wish there was still at least a semi-accessible mlb game being produced. The one that comes to mind is MLB 2K, which stopped making games after 2K13. Those games were kind of accessible. You could hear when pitches were coming, and as long as you were a little patient with it, you could figure out pitching pretty easily. Truthfully the only thing you ever had to worry about if you had no sight playing that game was when a fly ball was hit and you were put to the task of fielding it. Always a hellish moment I dare say. Thinking about those games made me wish they were still around, because MLB the show just doesn't have that play-ability. Unless they made some kind of change for some reason, the pitch makes no sound when coming in, which means that there is no way to bat. I don't know about pitching so I can't really speak to that, but I mean, if you can't bat then what's the point.
Now yes, if I really wanted to play MLB, I could go back to 2K13 or 12 or 11, since I have all three games. However, It just kind of sucks that in order to have that experience, I have to play a game that is 8 years old. No current rosters, no chance to play online. Nothing. I don't know if anyone else shares these same thoughts, but I figured that I would put them out there in case there was someone that did.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-15 07:20:54

Gonna try to maybe make a rtts in mlb the show 21 with a pitcher and either sim or if possible play the games. Wish I had the older mlb the show games, but meh, I don't have a ps3.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2021-04-15 08:32:09

I will be curious to see what if anything happens in future. I'm hoping the newer controller may give some haptic feedback on pitches being thrown. I had heard some rumblings the studio was interested in expanding accessibility, but I highly doubt we'll see that this year. My hope is by 2023 we'll have a much more accessible baseball experience.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2021-04-15 15:55:59

I hope that is the case, because it would be nice to have that experience again with up to date teams and all of that stuff. Guess I will just have to continue relying on the old games still.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-15 16:04:26

Just a heads up but there were as of 2019/2020 updated rosters for the MLB 2K games, but you need to look around for them. Pitching in RTTS is my jam. If MLB 21 is out for PC, there's a trainer for MLB 21 and it comes out on PC, and it has an option to max all my RTTS stats I'm using that. Hopefully the guys at Cheathappens will make one, if not I can always request it for offline and RTTS play. It has a stupidly good franchise mode too, MLB The Show usually does, so hoping I can OCR things with MLB the Show. It'll beat MLB 08 really in PCSX2

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-04-15 17:02:12

I'll be getting it on gamepass for sure at first. I only have a PS5 for next-gen though so I will eventually want to buy it for no oad times but Ineed to know how tell it OCRs.
@JaceK, are you totally blind? I have a riend who advised me that Guess Pitch is what we should use but I'm curious if I should be doing something different. Of course if you have usable vision you can use the other modes.
Keep in mind this is the first time I'm checking out an MLB game though so perhaps I only somewhat know what I'm talking about.

2021-04-15 17:14:59

@Orrin:

Not totally, I'd need a projector to make sense of my monitor though, and I'm on about projecting it on a wall when sat at a desk levels of make this giant.

I never really like guess pitch honestly since if you guess wrong it screws you over. I'd say if you're doing RTTS, then set up the options how you want.

First off. User sliders. You want the top three all the user timing all the way to the right. If you want to jack up your contact/power then that's on you, but you will want the timing one maxed out to give you a bigger timing window to swing with.

Then, I put fielding on simulated or whatever the option is called, so it skips the fielding, and if I'm playing as a catcher, I skip calling pitches, and set baserunning to only ocur if I'm the lead runner or I set that to simulated, and RTTS difficulty on Rookie. That, in my experience, only ever gives you easy to hit pitches. One fo my RTTS chars cracked 100 home runs in a year for Boston in MLB 16 as a 2B/DH. I was trying for first base and missed, ended up DHing, worked out fine.

Far as simming vs playing games, you'll want to play every start as a pitcher. I could get away with in MLB 14/16/18 simming 7 games, playing 7, and then going through and doing my skill points very very carefully, as a hitter. As a pitcher, I'd do my skill points after every start.

As far as starting an RTTS, I'd say base it off an existing player so you can get the height/weight/etc sorted out and just need to do the name/nickname stuff, and for pitchers,  I like to just hold down the button and let it go and get random pitches. Forkball/sinker/slider pitcher? Why not. I'd argue also make a starter, you only play every few days but you face most of the batters and get skill points every pitch you throw and batter you face.

And nobody told me if this is coming out for PC, I'm getting mixed responses on Google. Some say yes. Some say no, Xbox only, others say it's coming on Sony's own storefront

Also on Linux natively

2021-04-15 21:38:49

Gonna get this on gp as well @JaceK thanks for the tips. I was gonna pick up 17/18 on ps4, but since this is coming to Xbox I might as well try it out.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2021-04-18 13:25:40

It's not bad.
There really aren't any accessibility enhancements in 21, but the haptic feedback on ps5 could really add some level of accessibility if they leverage it more.
I'm hoping for some enhancements in 22.

2021-04-18 13:42:41

The thing I was disappointed with, was at least on Brandon's stream when doing an exhibition match it doesn't show you the intro or anything like that, although I'm wondering if that's because maybe the broadcast options can be changed. Apparently people have said they've seen vids with the full presentation working.

2021-04-18 18:19:47

One thing I would just love to see from the show is just a tiny sound to know when the ball is being pitched. It doesn't have to be anything crazy. Just a little something would do it. That one little change alone would make the game so much more playable right then and there. Will it happen though? No... no no probably not.

2021-04-19 00:19:04 (edited by singing butterfly 2021-04-19 00:20:31)

@11 And that's bitterly ironic since I remember MLB 08 The Show had that little sound you're talking about if I remember correctly. I absolutely adored that game for PS2 back in the day. Has anyone tried R.B .I. 21 yet? I watched a video and thought I heard a pitch noise in there, but might be insane. That's on Steam for anyone that wants to give it a whirl. If I ever get my new glasses and a new computer since this one is nine years old this month I might try it myself depending. On a related note, hope they do Madden 22 on Steam too and that Karen Stevens is right in there doing her thing.

Who we are is God's gift to us. Who we become is our gift to God.

2021-04-19 01:14:12

the MLB 2K games had it too. I really wish those games were still being made. They could be a bit clunky and weird in some aspects, but even so.

2021-04-19 05:29:38

super mega baseball 3 has it I believe.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2021-04-19 06:10:48

RBI 21 does not have it.
smb3 does.
and we may get some stuff next year. Hopefully.

2021-04-20 19:29:08

Got the game and been really enjoying rtts as a pitcher, but I have a lot of questions.
1. Where do I upgrade my stats_
2. Any way to change my players name? Rocking with mr. Joe Random currently.
3. How do I select or learn new pitches? I can only use the fastball at the moment it seams.
4. Using classic pitching mode, after pressing a/x on a pitch, holding it for a bit makes the controller vibrate. What does holding x in that situation do?
5. How do you know if your aiming the pitch outside of the strike zone? Do I just have to guess?

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2021-04-20 19:33:03

The only one I can offer help with is classic pitching, holding it down is the power, IIRC. As for aiming yes it's guesswork until you get the feel of how far a pitch goes and how far it is away from where you think it'll go. Pitcher is one of my fave RTTS positions. As for additional pitches, I believe* that's under the stat increase screeen that I'm not sure where it is, nose around the main RTTS screen where you play next appearence and so forth

Also on Linux natively

2021-04-20 22:32:34

So, to get this straight, the position of pitcher is the only thing you can play in RTTS mode, or rather, the only thing you can play in the hole game?
Come on, be serious.

greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2021-04-20 22:40:25 (edited by JaceK 2021-04-20 22:42:14)

No, but pitcher is easiest to get to grips with. I posted some tips up there, and I can say back in the PS3 days I had quite a few hitters going and had a successful shortstop on MLBTS 16-18. Pitcher is however the easiest since you're not batting or baserunning and you're not expected to be amazingly good with the bat, vs being a hitter who, well, can't hit and gets screwed over by the game's AI coding in RTTS with how it's set up

EDIT: Alright, franchise mode looks doable actually with OCR as well, since, if I recall right, you can sim the games or set the games to be played computer vs computer, I think...?

Also on Linux natively

2021-04-20 23:40:34

Well, super mega baseball doesn't seam to have any announcers if I see that right, so also a major bummer because you don't seam to know if you scored a base or just went out.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2021-04-20 23:56:56

In SMB there are sounds for when  a run comes across the plate. The umpire will also call out when a ball is caught.

2021-04-21 04:33:21 (edited by singing butterfly 2021-04-21 04:34:25)

I remember on 08 TS when you aimed out of the strike zone it vibrated more or less depending how far out of the zone you were aiming. Of course, I did that purposely to fool the opposing batter, and I loved how you could set the one slider to make them swing at just about anything under the sun. I like the idea of that timing slider one of you mentioned though.

Who we are is God's gift to us. Who we become is our gift to God.

2021-04-21 07:10:35

The show has a couple of different pitching modes. There is one where you use a meter, one where the strength of your pitches is determined by how long you hold down the cross button, and one where pressing the cross button just throws the pitch.
I do hope for some narrated menus as this would really make things like RTS and even Diamond Dynasty more reasonable.
Brandon says he's going to compile some notes and send them off to Sony, so I'm optimistic that we may see something next year. What that something will be? I don't know.

2021-04-21 09:09:28

Hell, even just adding a woosh sound when the pitcher throws a pitch would make this a loooooooot more playable. What mlb game last had that anyway? 11 on ps3?

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2021-04-21 09:45:15

I had heard a rumor that pitches were easier to hear if you changed the batting camera, but I haven't tested this, and I feel like this may not make a difference at all.