2021-04-13 07:34:48

Hello everyone.
I could just use a little bit of help in terms of getting everything set up properly to record using a midi controller in reaper.
I have it all set up correctly in preferences, so there is no worry about that part.
The place where I am getting stuck is when you make a track, and then you have to select the input type. What I have found says that you need to set the input to midi, but I cannot find where to do this. And then after that, they talk about going to the track input selector and working with a couple of things there, another thing I can't seem to find/understand. Could someone please explain where to find these things because right now I am just extremely confused and everything I am finding online is very visual and not helping me very much.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-13 14:45:57

You don't need to do any of that. Alt I, V, select your instrument, go.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-13 16:07:50

Well evidently there is more to it than that, because I mean, I can get an instrument onto the track and I can hear it when I play it. However, when I go to record it, it doesn't actually record. There is no sound when I go to play it back.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-13 16:26:42 (edited by derekedit 2021-04-13 16:28:18)

I'm asking the obvious, but, is the track armed? If it's not, it won't be recording anything. Also, are you sure you're back at the beginning when you try to play?

2021-04-13 16:43:33

Yes the track is armed, and yes I am at the beginning of the track.

2021-04-13 16:44:37

One thing that would be worth it either way is to set your recording mode to MIDI overdub. The default binding for the newest version of OSERA is Alt+Shift+\ (backslash). Also, why anyone chooses to press Alt+I, V, is anyone's guess, when Ctrl+Insert is a thing.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-13 19:18:00

Because Alt I, V is faster.

If you hear the instrument on the track when you play, you're set for recording. insert virtual instrument on new track is a macro of sorts for doing a few things.. Make a new track. Arm the track. If record monitoring is off, turn it on. Bring up the add FX dialog and set the category to instruments. Rename the track to the name of the instrument when you select OK. Set the input mode to MIDI, all channels, all sources.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-13 20:32:52

@GrannyCheeseWheel, But Ctrl+Insert is a binding to achieve literally the same thing.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-13 21:00:30

Insert is often used as a modifier key for screen reader commands. So either you'd need to change that to something else, or invoke the command to pass the next key through. I'd dare say the former wouldn't occur to most people because how often do you actually use your insert key for anything else? And if you're doing the latter, alt+i, v would have actually been faster.

2021-04-13 22:09:06

Also, can confirm this, that when using NVDA I've had to tap insert key twice while holding down the control key.  I assume that's because it's used as the NVDA modifier.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2021-04-13 23:30:57

yeah you have to tap it twice to bypass NVDA's lock on it. If you're using Jaws, I don't even know if you can without invoking pass through first. In either case, I find it to be quicker to Alt I, V. If that's not your preference, that's fine. I don't get the point of making bones about that particular point of the post, other than to note that it can be done that way.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-14 16:07:18

I just unselected insert as an nvda modifier. I don't ever use it for that purpose. I always just use caps lock. On the topic of getting it to work, I did manage to figure it out. I had to update my reaper and osara, and then I was able to use alt shift backslash to set it to input, and then it worked. With the version I was on, that command didn't work.
Oh and also, I do like the control insert command more. It's faster for me. lol

2021-04-14 16:24:02

Ehh, just making people aware it's a thing. Obviously at the end of the day, insert VSTs however you like.