2021-04-12 20:28:13

So given that DS 4 windows is being uncooperative on my new computer, my previous hack for using my ps4 controller on PC is proving to be inconsistent. anyone have a favourite gamepad tht works with everything? I know xbox controllers are an option, but what is everyone else using? DS 4 windows, for the record, is working with Killer Instinct and Sequence storm, but not working with games like Shadow Line or Planet Saga demos. I'm wondering if it's the games themselves, or if it's ds 4 windows, see my other topic. I fixed this on my old computer, but have no idea how I did it..

Discord: clemchowder633

2021-04-12 21:12:59

I use an Xbox 1 controller. DS4 does work. I used it to run my PS4 controller for a good while.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-12 21:24:49

Yes, it worked for me too. But on this newer computer, I haven't yet gotten it to work properly. Games only work when I use direct input, shadow line being the prime example. DS 4 windows for some reason is not outputing as xinput. This is testable. Go into Shadow Line and switch the input method between xinput and direct input. Direct input works, but only with the left analogue stick. Xinput doesn't work at all.

2021-04-12 22:28:26

I like ps controlers more actually, but I use an xbox controler on windows, due to this reason. I don't want to use an external buggy software to use my controler. I don't know why ximput isn't working for you, it works for me whenever I use DS4windows. I would suggest you getting an xbox controler.

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2021-04-12 22:53:24 (edited by assault_freak 2021-04-12 22:53:42)

Can you download Shadow Line and test it? Like I said, it works with both Sequence storm and Killer Instinct, so I'm not quite sure where the issue is. I also vastly prefer ps4 controllers.

2021-04-12 23:04:39

sure, could you link me to it?

2021-04-12 23:18:09

http://mm-galabo.com/sr/dl_srfv/srfv_dl.php

2021-04-12 23:33:39

it works for me.
your using this one right: https://github.com/Jays2Kings/DS4Window … indows.zip
it was last updated around 2015, 2016, but works good.

2021-04-13 01:10:25

I used both that one, and a newer one I found. Both perform the same results. I can't use it with xinput. Direct input works, but the dpad doesn't work.

2021-04-13 04:14:39

I am using an SN30 Pro+ gamepad made by 8bitdo. It's basically a Super Nintendo inspired Bluetooth controller, but with added analog sticks and two trigger buttons. Form factor wise, it's more along the line of a PS4 controller. You can use it wired via USB (it comes with a USB type C cable for charging and using it wired), or Bluetooth.
One of the things I like about it is that it can work on many different platforms. It can be used on the Nintendo Switch, macOS, Android via DirectInput, and on Windows via X-Inputt. As a bonus, if you have any of 8bitdo's Bluetooth Retro Receivers for the original NES, SNES, NES and SNES Classic Edition, and Sega Genesis/MegaDrive (which are Bluetooth dongles that are designed to plug into the controller ports of the aforementioned consoles), you can use this controller on there, along with other wireless controllers too. It does this by turning the controller on using various button combinations.
For example, pressing Start+Y turns it on in Switch mode. In this mode, it emulates a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, complete with motion controls and rumble. It's unfortunately standard rumble, not that fancy shmancy HD rumble.
Pressing Start+X will turn it on in X-Input mode. This emulates an XBox controller.
Another great thing about this controller is that you can customize it using an application called the 8bitdo Ultimate Software. It's available for Windows and Mac. You can customize every aspect of the controller, from button mapping, sensitivity of the sticks, triggers, and rumble motors, and even create macros. Unfortunately the software itself is inaccessible to screen readers.

In terms of battery life, 8bitdo claims around 16-20 hours of playtime on a single charge, and 1 to 4 hours charge time, if using the included battery pack. Optionally, you can use 2 AA batteries.In regards to pricing, you're looking at about $49.99 USD according to Amazon.

2021-04-13 11:47:23

damn, I might check that one out. I have always been a nintendo guy, so this is neete.

2021-04-13 13:50:23

It's a really great controller. 8bitdo mainly focuses on bluetooth controllers inspired by classic Nintendo controllers. They're a great controller brand if you're looking for a great D-Pad. I use mine as my daily driver for my PC and my phone (they sell a smartphone clip that attaches to the controller separately).
If you want to wait a little longer, 8bitdo has a new controller up for pre-order, simply called the 8bitdo Pro 2.
That one has two extra back buttons, a physical switch so you can switch between S Mode (Switch), A Mode (Mac/Apple Mode), D Mode (DirectInput), and X Mode (XInput).
It also has a button in between the analog sticks so you can switch between three different custom configuration profiles that you can customize within the 8bitdo Ultimate Software.
Otherwise, it's the same as the SN30 Pro+, price and everything.

2021-04-13 13:57:32

I'l see if I can find them in one store in Norway.

2021-04-13 14:01:06

doesn't seem to be in norway sadly.

2021-04-13 16:57:35

I may have to look into that. I loved the snes controller.

2021-04-13 23:02:50

It's a really great controller, and one of 8bitdo's finest.
Here are a few tips for both Pro+ and Pro 2, because I'll admit, there's more to it that's not really that obvious when you first start using it. While there is a PDF version of the manual on 8bitdo's support page, I'm not sure if it's accessible or not, but here are some tips for both controllers regardless.

Turning the controller on + usage tips

To turn the controller on, you just simply press and hold START for 1 second, and to turn it off, you press and hold START for three seconds. By default when you first take the controller out of the box, it's set to Nintendo Switch mode. If you want to turn it on in either X-Input mode, DirectInput mode for Android, macOS mode, or back to Switch mode, you'd turn it on with the following button combinations:

• START+Y: Nintendo Switch mode. In this mode, it emulates a Switch Pro controller, complete with motion controls and rumble, but lacks NFC functionality for Amiibos. It also can't wake up the Switch.

• START+X: X-Input mode: Emulates an XBox controller.

• START+A: Mac mode. Interestingly from what I've heard, the Mac sees it as a DualShock 4 controller.

• START+B: Android mode.

The next time you power on the controller, it'll remember what mode you last had it in. For example, if you last used Switch mode before powering it off, it'll be in Switch mode the next time you power it on.
The Pro 2 doesn't use those button combinations, instead there is a physical switch on the back of the controller with four positions; S for Switch, A for Apple, D for DirectInput, and X for X-Input.
Both controllers will emit a short vibration when they're connected via Bluetooth. When they're not in use for about 15 minutes or so, they'll power themselves off to save battery power.

Turbo mode

The controllers do have a Turbo function. To activate it, there's a Star button under the D-Pad. While you have the Star button held, press the button you would like to activate turbo on, then let go of the Star button. Essentially, when Turbo is activated for a button, it's like you're rapidly pressing the button over and over again. To turn Turbo off for the button, you'd do the same steps that you did to activate Turbo mode on that button.

2021-04-13 23:17:48

I wil see if I can buy this on amazon, this will replace my xbox for sure, one question. This takes insperation from the snes, but does it have four fase buttons? the snes only has to.

2021-04-13 23:24:27

The SNES definitely had four face buttons. A, B, X, and Y, as well as two shoulder buttons (L, and R).

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-13 23:40:09

hah, then I'm just stupid
I have a different question, what's the differense between the editions of the SN30 Pro+ gamepad?
there's a sn, and some others.

2021-04-13 23:49:02

The original nes controller had two face buttons and no shoulder buttons. The snes had four face buttons and two shoulder buttons..

2021-04-14 02:31:11 (edited by FamilyMario 2021-04-14 02:32:32)

@Gamulation the differences between the various editions of the SN30 Pro+ are as follows:

• The G Classic Edition takes inspiration from the color scheme of the original Game Boy from 1989. The main differences are in the buttons and the D-Pad. The four face buttons A, B, X, and Y are all convex, similar to the European and Japanese SNES and Super Famicom controllers, and to an extent the original Game Boy. The D-Pad on the G Classic Edition has a line pattern, where as the other variants have an arrow pattern on their D-Pads similar to the original SNES controller. This results in a smoother texture for the D-Pad.

• The SN Edition is modeled after the North American SNES design, complete with the concave X and Y buttons from said controller design.

• There is a new Grey edition for the SN30 Pro series of controllers. It takes its inspiration from the design of the PS1 controller, complete with colored button labels (instead of symbols like the original PS1 controller had, the buttons are instead labeled with the traditional A, B, X, and Y labels).

2021-04-14 10:56:33

thanks, will probobly get one soon.

2021-04-15 15:35:02 (edited by TheRealAmethyst 2021-04-15 15:35:26)

@FamilyMario I boght the controler, I went for the sn30 pro+ sn edition. Can I use the software? Object navigation or OCR?

2021-04-15 17:10:47

@Gamulation I haven't used the software with a screen reader since I first tried it out of curiosity. The last time I did with object nav, I haven't had much in the way of luck.
While NVDA's OCR can navigate with it, most of the slider controls (which are used to adjust stick, trigger, and rumble sensitivity) are not detected.
So, if you want to use it, unless you have some usable vision, the Ultimate Software is a no go.
There is a mobile app for the Ultimate Software, but that's only for the newer Pro 2 at this time. Because of the fact I don't have a Pro 2, I can't test it.
8bitdo does have a Firmware Upgrade tool as well, but I haven't tested that with a screen reader much either.

2021-04-28 22:58:51 (edited by assault_freak 2021-04-28 23:51:22)

I just got the sn30 pro g classic edition, and I'm having a hard time telling which mode it's running in. I'm guessing xinput is working, but Shadow Line still isn't working here... but I love the feel of the controller and once I do get it to work it'll be absolutely brilliant to play with. Because I'm forgetting... the x button is the one where triangle would be on a playstation controller correct? I want to make sure I did boot it up in xinput mode. I'm guessing I'm supposed to hold start and x when I plug it in, judging from the instructions above?