2021-04-11 03:28:25 (edited by Stormy 2021-04-11 03:29:40)

Has anyone ever heard of this idea before? For those who don't have time to/don't feel like reading the link, the basic idea is that for an online community only 1% (or more realistically somewhere less than 10%) of all members are actually contributing actively to the community as far as discussions and content. I can't find the article I wanted to link to as well, but someone took this idea further and wrote about some of the consequences of this. Thoughts? At the time of this, the forum has 246,782 registered accounts. Even filtering out all of the bots and accounts that haven't visited in a long period of time, the number of users that contribute to topics is very tiny in comparison. Any thoughts about other communities you visit?

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2021-04-11 03:48:40

Yes, that's probably true. Even assuming 20k unique accounts, 200 or less people are active on this forum these days.

2021-04-11 03:49:47

I've heard of this, and funnily enough, it is a small part of the reason I resigned when I did. Because where the rule itself is true - a small percentage contributes meaningfully to the community - the inverse is also true, meaning that a larger number of folks do nothing but drag things down. I am absolutely not naming names here, as that's ranging far afield from the purpose of this thread and would be rather tacky besides...but yeah. I got tired of running uphill on skis, basically. Maybe one day I will rediscover my desire to do that, but for now, it has deserted me.
I remain here because our 1%, or however large it actually is, really gets me thinking and keeps me engaged, and truly does have this place's best interests in mind.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-04-11 10:00:03 (edited by ignatriay 2021-04-11 10:04:51)

This is certainly true, however, as jayde said, it does go both ways. It is also fair to note however that if one looks carefully, this is also true for real life not just for, say, forums etc. And as far as this applying to real life... the one percent is really fucking us over. Back to the topic of this happening in this forum though,
The one percent is notisable in people who are most active and either contribute, or drag down, this comunity, depending on what side you want to look at this from. That's not saying other people don't contribute to this forum, its just that the one percent maybee are slitely more active than most, and post more frequently.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley