2021-04-10 20:51:27

As I've been on a desire for some Ars Magica, or something, I figured I'd do something semi-productive and start a Tabletop RPG thread as I haven't seen one about in a while.
Anyone got any favorite ones? Been able to even play lately? Talk about it here.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2021-04-10 22:12:14 (edited by zenothrax 2021-04-10 22:13:40)

I haven't found anyone interested in playing, but Starfinder is definitely a favorite of mine, as is 13th age.
Also have to shout out MajiMonsters, which is basically fantasy Pokemon.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2021-04-10 22:30:07

Heh. Majimonsters sounds interesting. Though, I know how that is looking for groups for games. I'm kind of surprised you haven't been able to find one for Starfinder.

I have a website now.

2021-04-11 21:53:10

Groups are pretty hard to come by for me, since I mainly prefer text chat (IRC) or similar for RPG's, but the IRC channels I used back in the day no longer exist.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2021-04-12 01:59:52

I used to disparage tabletop RPGs and DND and stuff like that. I used to make fun of all the dice-rolling, and would sneer at people "wasting" hours of their lives. And LARPers? God, that was even worse.
Then, quite frankly, I stopped being so full of myself. It happened because I got to actually witness people playing DND, and realized that even watching it was sort of fun. This was back in 2007 or so, when housemates I was living with at the time got together a group that would convene every week or two in our living room for a few hours. The dice-rolling, while necessary and a little fourth-wall-breaking if I thought about it a lot, was pretty natural, given that there was also game chatter happening. I soon realized that while I didn't ever see myself getting fully into it in the way some folks do, I could probably enjoy the prospect. I'm an RPG nerd at the best of times, after all. Why do you think one of my dearest audiogame ambitions is to play and/or build RPGs?
Anyway, with all that said, I've still never gotten into a game of any sort, and I don't know much, but have always been interested in learning and in seeing where that might take me. It's just never been a high priority thing, that's all.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-04-12 02:02:49

ooo Starfinder please!
I have played Pathfinder I and II
They are great with good friends.
It is very easy to make a character sheet.
Just type it out in notepad.

2021-04-12 08:12:47

I'm currently playing and DM-ing several games of 5e on a discord server. We also have a game of Cyberpunk RED going too.
We play only in text format, but recently I convinced my brother and 2 cousins to try Call of Cthulhu 7th edition. I'm having a blast as the keeper.

2021-04-12 16:03:00

I haven't tried it too many times, and the few times I have it's been D&D 5E. Was good fun though, although I feel like the charactr creation takes too long for my liking.

Anyone who's able to recommend some brailled RPG dice sets though? I've wanted to get me some for a few years now. I know both 64 Oz. Games and the Dots RPG Project have made some, although the latter has a weirdly shaped D4 compared to regular RPG dice, so I'm not too interested in that. The former looks like a decent option though, but $50 for one set is a tad much, but such is accessibility, lol.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2021-04-12 17:00:48

I can't imagine playing something like Dungeons and Dragons via pure text. That has to go on the weirdest things I've read list. Part of what makes the game so appealing is the bond you share by communicating and talking to each other. Take it away, and you have a random dude sending you messages:
DM: You're in a room.
George: Umm, okay?
DM: Sorry, busy typing
It just... breaks the whole point of playing together and actually having a party.

2021-04-12 17:15:17

I played DND 5E and some DSA with others via TeamSpeak, but because of my difficulty to overcome my social anxiety I stopped after a few months. I never used braille Dice, we did the dice-rolling online. I could imagine that a twenty-sided braille die would be quite large and difficult to even roll it, but I dont know since I do not have one.

Greetings,
Ciri, the Witcher
(If you want to get in touch with me, contact me via twitter (ciri1240)

2021-04-12 17:23:27

I actually have enjoyed the Dots RPG  project's dice. The nice thing is that they provide 3D printer files, so if you have access to one of those, it could be potentially cheaper to go that route.  Also, Dots has lightning dice sets if you  don't like the D20. I realize that doesn't help your issues with the d4, but d20s can get hard to read in braille. Also Jayde, Why  can I see you being the person who called A tabletop session "The sadness?" LOL!!! And yeah, larpers are their own  beast entirely. Still, I hope if you do get around to it, you  find a group  you enjoy playing with.

I have a website now.

2021-04-12 17:59:34

amerikranian wrote:

I can't imagine playing something like Dungeons and Dragons via pure text. That has to go on the weirdest things I've read list. Part of what makes the game so appealing is the bond you share by communicating and talking to each other. Take it away, and you have a random dude sending you messages:
DM: You're in a room.
George: Umm, okay?
DM: Sorry, busy typing
It just... breaks the whole point of playing together and actually having a party.

The fact that you are playing in text does not mean you can't interact with your fellow players outside of the game. Sure, it goes slower and it's not live, but some people just don't have time for RL sessions. So they join forums or discords and play there. The GM describes situations like they would RL. The forum medium actually allows them to think more on what they want to say and how they want to phrase it. People can still interact in game and in out of character threads.
With over 5 years of play by post experience behind me I can say, it takes some getting used to and it can get really slow, but if you can't get a group together offline (and believe me it took over 5 years to get a party that lasted more than 2 sessions) or you are just to afraid to be in character in front of others, it's a really good option.

2021-04-12 23:40:39

Yeah, play by post can be fun. I don't prefer that method because I'm scatter brained enough, and having an actual session reminds me that I need to do things.

I have a website now.

2021-04-13 00:06:37

@Jaseoffire: Yeah, a friend of mine did print the D6 and D12 for me and I really like both of them, particularly the D12. I might just have to try to get them to attempt a few more, but I seem to remember there being a problem with those.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2021-04-13 10:35:06

Personally, the only systems that I’ve ever really played with were either regular D and D 5E, or more recently blades in the dark. Strangely enough I’ve only on rare occasions actually experienced either of those 2 systems in the shoes of an actual player, and instead more often get talked in to taking the role of the GM. Given the fact that I normally can only really run campaigns with a friend of mine who has some, shall we say rather… interesting, tendences when it comes to TRPG’s in general, my experience with table top games has been rather a mixed bag of experiences.

Hit up my YouTube Channel at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC9wWO … R85ILY1VQ/
Their you'll find some gaming videos, and what ever els my confused mess of a brain decides to upload. Hope you enjoy it and Stay safe, folks.

2021-04-13 16:25:21

Interestingly, @15, that seems to happen a lot more regularly than you would think. I wonder if it is possible to make a TTRPG that's just as fun to GM. Like, don't get me wrong, being a GM is fun, but getting people to want to do it is... difficult sometimes.

I have a website now.

2021-04-13 17:07:18

To be clear, I don’t usually mind filling the role of the GM on most cases. I personally really enjoy building a world, and then seeing how the player effects it and influences in game events, it’s just that it sometimes gets frustrating when my singular player decides to take the campaign into a rather… problematic direction. Just the other week I had a situation were the player intentionally allowed himself to be ripped apart by a monster, for no rime or reason, just cause, well why not really, and this happened within the first, we’ll call it, 10 minutes of the start of the campaign.

Hit up my YouTube Channel at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC9wWO … R85ILY1VQ/
Their you'll find some gaming videos, and what ever els my confused mess of a brain decides to upload. Hope you enjoy it and Stay safe, folks.

2021-04-13 20:11:35

Fair enough.

I have a website now.

2021-04-14 01:45:16

I haven't done in-person RPGs in ages. I keep meaning to look into Tunnels & Trolls though, since I think you can get the rules and some games as PDF files, it has solo adventures too, and it uses only six-sided dice. I should look into this Dots RPG thing though, sounds interesting.

2021-04-14 23:45:58

Dots RPG dice are nice. Some blemishes can occur from the 3D printing process, but with care, they can be minimized.
Here's the link if anyone is interested.
https://www.dotsrpg.org/
The website is worth exploring.

I have a website now.

2021-04-15 02:02:49

Does anyone have the accquisition inc books in a format that 's accessible? Also has anyone ever played shadowrun? it sounds fun

2021-04-15 02:36:30

Honestly, I think it's because people have an expectation a Dm or GM will be creating a massively impressive campaign for the other players to enjoy, and feel like they can't live up to that type of hype.

If it's one's first time DMing, one can always just rely on the modules of the TTRPG has some to work with, and add your own twists to the default campaign. After a few times of being the GM, you might feel more comfortable in making an original campaign, or completely changing an already created one to tell a vastly different story. Some people have made fun stories just by taking a few already made modules, and just changing the story and some NPC's to twist the tale and surprise players who might be used to the defaults.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2021-04-15 18:50:49

michaelhoffman1976 wrote:

Does anyone have the accquisition inc books in a format that 's accessible? Also has anyone ever played shadowrun? it sounds fun

An accessible version of the book can be bought on D&D Beyond.
About Shadowrun: I wanted to try it for a long time, unfortunately I couldn't find players for it. But it sounds really-really cool to me.

2021-04-15 23:00:11

you should know that shadowrun is one of the hardest systems to GM or play in that I have ever known.
My sited friends run from it in fear and some of my blind friends do so as well.
It is simply way too complicated, mathematical and convoluted to easily run.
Have fun guys!

2021-04-16 04:40:41

I mean, it has tight competition with Mage and Ars magica. The latter I've seen more people theorizing about how to run it then actually running it...

I have a website now.