2021-04-08 19:16:40 (edited by rstrunk 2021-04-08 20:10:59)

I'm going to start with the house keeping up at the top to head off some of the questions/comments I suspect will come from this post, and then I'll dive into what I have going currently and would appreciate collaborating on.
1. Starmourn is a science fiction mud from Iron Realms. It's great fun, but you should also know that it's roleplay required. It is possible to advance in the game by getting credits from doing in-game activities, but it is also possible to get credits and advancement from real world money. I know the community is divided on whether this is ok, but the idea of pay to play is beyond the scope of this post. If you are tempted to offer your thoughts on "pay to play" muds, don't. That's not what this post is about. Cool? Cool.
2. I have coded significant systems to make the game more playable for myself, but I have built them on the back of borrowed code, such as the Yu-Gi-Oh mushclient pack, because I didn't want to go to the trouble of learning base from scratch. Additionally, while I have designed a few sounds for my setup, most have been borrowed from sources like Miriani and Swamp. I know the forum has definite thoughts and rules around both stolen code and stolen sounds, which is why I have kept all of my work to myself. Do not write me here or privately asking for my setup as it currently stands. I will not break the rules or further rip off developers and artists just for people who want something to play with. please save us both the trouble.
With that out of the way:
I am at a point with the systems I have built where my pack could be beneficial for people wishing to try Starmourn, and I'm confident the pack would be helpful for people who have struggled with some of the more graphically-based systems. For example, scooping gas in the traditional method requires you to steer your ship on a graphical map and aim for the colored spaces. I have built a system that represents these colored spaces in sound.
I have also hooked into GMCP such that it is possible to walk into a room and have a targeted list of all the NPC's present. It makes hunting a ton easier because, when you enter a room, the next target to fight is already selected for you.
There is much I still want to do, such as aliasing more class skills, building systems to track your health and afflictions for PVP, creating a safe list of NPC's that you don't fight, etc., but the system is already pretty robust.
Now the parts where I could use help, listed in order of priority, for those who are still interested:
1. I do not know how to distribute the code beyond providing a dropbox link, which means I don't know how to patch code. Additionally, I don't know how to distribute specific triggers and aliases while keeping some to myself. As an example, I have created an alias which links the artifacts I own to my ship, but those artifacts are specific to me. If anyone else tries to use that alias, it will not work for them. I still want to keep the alias for myself, however.
2. I do not know if the libraries I'm currently using are the best or easiest ones out there. I have always been fascinated by the Alteraeon exit sound functionality, for example, but so far I have not been able to replicate it using the YuGiOh sound methods. Resources or thoughts there would be greatly appreciated.
3. Once all that is done, the setup would need sounds. I have no desire to steal anyone's work and distribute as my own, so I have no desire to release the pack with stolen sounds from various sources.
Ultimately, I think Starmourn is a fantastic mud--easily the best I have ever played, and I want to open that experience up to others who enjoy roleplay, a great community, fascinating game systems, and a place that marries all three together into some sort of great mud throuple. If I keep waiting until I have the knowledge to publicize my systems, however, I won't do it anytime soon.
Thoughts/suggestions/resources/offers of help welcome, and thank you.

2021-04-09 21:30:18

If you try to post it on Github, people will be able to colaberate with you on code and the like. I personally would love to play Starmourn with this system, as Starmourn isa great mud, but having a setup like you've discribed will definitely help me play better and do what I can in the game that I was not able to do before.
Anyone else interested can also post here as well. Sure, its pay to play, but who cares! its a great mud.

Hi there, if you wanna find me on twitch, you can do so at Twitch.tv/LeonianUniverse and on YouTube at the same channel name. I stream Hearthstone and other games and love to chat with people, so if you like my content, feel free to subscribe or follow me.

2021-04-09 21:41:41

yeah, starmourn definitely needs a soundpack and scripts.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2021-04-10 05:07:51

@stirlock I have some of them done. But I need help to get to the distribution part of things. Can you help with any of the above?

@shinobi wouldn't that just open it up to people pulling down the parts of the code that aren't original? I'm assuming that if I put it there, it's available for anyone to clone.

2021-04-10 06:25:21 (edited by Orin 2021-04-10 06:26:48)

Curious if you made a map system? I am trying to level up to 10 where the first story-based ship combat awaits, but not sure how doable that is without any scripting. I've been doing it slowly as a result. To be clear I question that story mission.

2021-04-10 13:16:09

Exit sound functionality, as in "when you close connection / leave the game, a sound will play"? Thats pretty easy, MUSHclient provides a callback that triggers whenever the connection to the MUD is closed which you can then use to play a sound if you so wish.
Keeping aliases for yourself can be done in several ways which all have their pros and cons. You can put them into a dedicated plugin and load it at startup without saving the plugin into the mcl file, which has the cons that you 1. need to load it at every start of the client and 2. do not have a nice graphical interface to modify your aliases/triggers etc. Or you could add them to the MCL directly and move everything else to a plugin and prevent your way of distributing your soundpack from taking all the aliases/triggers within the mcl file into consideration. But that way you'll lose GUI support for all aliases/triggers that are not private. And thats not all that is possible to do.
As a closing note, the yugioh-soundpack is largely adapted to the yugioh-MUD itself. Its fine that you came so far with the current codebase, but its very possible that you'll hit a restriction at some point or encounter a bug which might create you some headaches. I've also created a mushclient-soundpack-launcher which is nice and clean, a fully functional mushclient including audio support and everything else, but not the yugioh-related support of e.g. multiple trigger languages and such, i'd probably be better to use that one and go from there instead of adapting something which contains code that might conflict with some of your ideas at some point.
you can get the launcher from here

2021-04-10 16:24:01

For distribution, you could use keybase. You get 250 gigs for free and a filesystem on your PC that uploads then offloads it from your drive. You can go to keybase.pub/<username> and see all the stuff in your public folder. You make a zip, go there, click on it, then applications key, E to copy the address. That'll never change even when you update provided you keep the filename the same.

I'd offer to help with sounds, but I really don't see using all above board sounds getting me very far and giving you the experience you want. And, you seem to be ahead of me in coding as well.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-10 19:10:01 (edited by rstrunk 2021-04-10 19:17:12)

@Orin, What portion are you wondering about re the map? Are you wanting a map for ship combat or for moving around on the ground? As it stands, I have support for space combat, but you should note that, my scripts or not, the learning curve is a little steep. Message me on there or send a tell if you have questions. Note, however, that out of character communication, whether by message or tell, should start with // to denote that it's OOC. Otherwise I'll just assume you're crazy.
My character's name is Jile

@hijacker, Thanks so much for the link. Would you be up for having a quick chat about some of the specifics? Thanks.
The exit sound functionality is a neat setup where, when you walk into a room, each of the directions you can leave through are represented by sounds in sequence. So if you can go east, west, or north, you'll hear a beep in your right ear, a beep in your left ear, and then a different tone in the center. It's a way to navigate more quickly without having to listen to the room's text. I've attempted to replicate it with the sound stack, but I haven't had much luck yet.

@GrannyCheeseWheel, thanks for the recommendation. I'll give that a look.
I'm with you on the sounds. The reason I privately use the ones I do are because they're just that good, but I recognize that distributing them as part of my pack is different than what is, essentially, me taking apart my own Ikea furniture and repurposing it into something else. There is a part of me that's tempted to just record a bunch of dummy files and people can mod the pack however they want.

2021-04-11 00:50:18

@8, sure, just contact me privately via email or PM through this forum.