2021-04-09 19:44:11

This hole mentality of we will cut you off from social security completely if you happen to own a certain amount of money is completely mind boggling to me. Is this a thing in other parts of the world? I know it isn't here in the UK, well, say for fixed income, but that's a hole other thing.

2021-04-09 20:02:52

Isn't this about saving as many lives as we can though? As for your question Haily, I'm not sure about other parts of the world, but I can tell you this much. We don't have a lot of room to do much of anything with what we have. I'm lucky if I'm able to treat myself without screwing myself over for the second half of the month. Plus, if you want to go on a trip, you'd better make sure that you have another person saving with you, because the second even your savings account gets above $2000, consider your monthly check gone. All we can really do is smile, laugh it off, and keep going as best we can until we're able to get a job, or in my case go off to college. It'll happen, I know it will; but I also know it's going to be quite a while before anything happens.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-09 21:14:04

The part of the law that governs the checks and the limit for SSI hasn't been updated since 1989. Take that as you will. The fact that no one has updated it to something more reasonable like $10000 is beyond me.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-09 21:15:30

DanGero, think about this for a second.
These are trying times. I practically guarantee you that if you'd gotten a 2k cheque instead of 1.4k, social security wouldn't have cut you off. I mean, this isn't some random person giving you a random gift. It's essentially the government saying, "Here's some money to help out. And oh by the way, you shouldn't have taken this cheque you had no option to refuse because now we're going to yank your SSI". That's patently ridiculous, and there is no way in hell that would ever, ever fly.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-04-09 21:52:35

I figured as much myself Jayde, but the problem is that sometimes people don't think logically. I've heard stories about the government or a bank screwing people over things they had 0 control over. Granted, I could probably appeal it if things came to that, but I'd have to go through a process to do that, and if I'm being honest, I don't know the first thing on how to go about it.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-09 22:30:48

The $2K is not counted against your income because it's not income, it's government money. But someone like me, if I fuck up, I'm dead. There's a one year period before you can reapply. Since my health coverage is tied to the SSI, if it stops, that stops. I can't get medication that is life sustaining for me. I'd go for a while, but I'd for a year, nah probably wouldn't make it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-09 23:15:56

GCW is right on this count. Stimulus money does not count towards your account's asset limit. Either way, even if your account were to go over, it isn't like they would yoink your benefits the moment it hits $2000.01. Usually there are month plus behind-the-scenes probes to see what's going on, and as long as your account nearly always stays below the threshold you're fine. And no, this is not an incentive to purposely let it pile up, especially considering re-evaluations are common and can come at a moment's notice, but it was actually through one of those re-evaluations that I specifically found out that simulus money does not count as assets.

2021-04-10 00:26:51

Jayde, Manchin seems to have made up his mind on the filibuster though, since he dropped that make it more painful facade with his latest statements. The problem is though progressive democrats are iether too naieve or too nice for their own good.  Bernie Sanders. could have blocked the must pass covid bill until the 15 dollar wage was included, or until the unemployment insurance was put back to what it was or until he got his own things he wanted in the bill. Manchin seems to the be the only one that figured out that he can get his priorities  if he blocks any piece of legislation.
Comparing the two 1918 and 2020 pandemics is a mistake, a big one. We didn't have vaccine tech or other medical technology like we do now back then. We fucked up in an epically spectacular way this time. We could've invested billions to trillions into medical technology or vaccine tech, and we didnt. Trump disbanded the pandemic preparidness team to let his billionaire buddies pocket some more million dollars in  change. What we should do differently after this is I  think develop effective drugs to iradicate any type of organism that would ever have the potential of causing a pandemic, and also make more potent and less toxic variants of drugs, like antibiotics that don't cause perminent deafness or  kidney toxcicity. If we have generic drugs that could cover every class of virus for example, hemeragic fevers, coronaviruses, once a mutated version of a virus came out, it  would b be no panic, pass out the antivirals while we wait a while for a vaccine or maybe you wouldn't need one if antivirals became so effective and you could kill any future pandemic off.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-04-10 00:43:01

Those kinds of drugs might work for a while, but the thing is, antibiotics only work if not used all of the time. Its why hand sanitizer is not the way anymore because its starting to be used too much and bacteria is getting some kind of resistance to that.

Hi there, if you wanna find me on twitch, you can do so at Twitch.tv/LeonianUniverse and on YouTube at the same channel name. I stream Hearthstone and other games and love to chat with people, so if you like my content, feel free to subscribe or follow me.

2021-04-10 01:53:27

@58, those drugs would only work for a short amount of time. Have you not heard of evolution? The viruses will adapt and change in subtle ways. (Also, another flaw with that kind of idea is that some of those organisms that cause problems in humans -- well, actually, the majority of them -- are, well, in the food chain for other animals in the food chain. If you terminate those, you'll end up destroying all life on Earth.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-10 02:46:30 (edited by defender 2021-04-10 02:52:53)

@Ghost
Wide spectrum antibiotics/antivirals lead to superbugs and in this case, superviruses when distributed significantly.  Maybe it would be worth it but only if we had a great backup plan for when our rapid evolution project inevitably produced an apex organism, and I'm not super confident that we wouldn't eventually slip into complacency given we have so many other times.  You may be saving lots of people short term, while sacrificing even more long term.

2021-04-10 05:41:19

well that is why you would need to continually tune and adapt the medications and not use them for every little thing like they are used now with antibiotics.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-04-10 06:28:48

Ghost, I'm afraid I disagree with you re: Sanders and whatnot.
See, here's the thing. In order to get Covid relief through, the senate needed every single democrat on board, because every republican was ready to vote no. This means that all it would have taken is anyone - Joe Manchin, Bernie Sanders, Rafael Warnok, anyone at all - to slam their foot down, and then nothing would get done. When we're talking about stuff that doesn't need to pass, like, yesterday, then maybe that's fine. Maybe it leads to actual talks and accommodations and whatnot. But in this case, the relief needed to go out as soon as possible, especially given that unemployment benefits were slated to end at the end of March. This meant that democrats essentially had to pass a slightly watered-down version of the bill they really wanted, because the alternative was that they would end up passing nothing at all.
Progressives are usually willing to sign onto such things even if they're not getting everything they believe is necessary for an effective step forward, because they accept that something is better than nothing. However, centrists seem to live and die by this idea of bipartisanship. What they've lost touch with is the fact that bipartisanship should come from the people, not the senate. If a group in the senate is set to oppose you purely because you're on the other side of the aisle, then as far as I'm concerned, you actually have a moral imperative to shut them out, not struggle to include them. If republicans were truly interested in coming across the aisle and negotiating in good faith, then okay, sure, try and get a couple of republicans to sign onto your legislation, have talks, do whatever you think you need to. But the signalling from the right in America can't be more clear. "We won't support a single democratic agenda, no matter how much the people we support and serve actually want us to do it". And I'm hoping that message gets to those voters loud and clear, provoking them to vote democrat in the next election and erode the size of the republican minority. Hey, maybe we'll get l ucky at some point in the not-too-distant future and we'll have a fifty-seven or fifty-eight vote majority democratic senate, or even better.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-04-10 06:43:24 (edited by Ghost 2021-04-10 06:45:47)

Jayde, issue is that as you said republicans will do everything to block anything and everything the democrats want to do, even if it is stuff like expanded background checks, better minimum wage, which basicly is universally supported, or infrastructure. But democrats didn't do the same when republicans were in power to block some of their most particularly bad bills.The most disgusting thing is republicans basicly know their ideas are deeply unpopular, stuff like cutting medicare/social security or raising the minimum retirement age. So what they do is pass laws to make it basicly illegal to vote and discourage people from voting.Like one I read about to stop blind people from  voting is requiring a printed signature. But at some point in the next decade to two decades, I think most people in the lower or middle class are waking up to how fucked their situation is, like how companies basicly shifted responsibility of retiring onto employees' savings I read a statistic that probably most people in the low to mid income bracket couldn't aford to retire because a lack of an ability to save. This is a direct result of tax avoidance by the wealthiest members in the country, uasing their influence to give themselves even bigger tax handouts, while shifting all the burdin down to people of lower income. At some point there probably will be a violent revolution or something similar if this shit isn't fixed in the normal way through laws and the influence of these people isn't curbed.