2021-04-04 14:47:53

hi,
I am having small probloms with the accessibility of audacity on linux, its useable but could have some inpruvements
the tracks are not labled when you import them into the programme, in windows when you use up and down arrow keys your screen reader will tel you <trackname> selected or not selected, and you could press enter to toggle it, that is not possible on linux, I will have to press tab than if the screen reader does not say anything I spam down arrow, if I get the \a tone than I know I am on the tracks list but I cannot know which one I am fokessed on so the way I go around it is that I spam down or up arrows until I get the \a tone, that way I know I am on the top or the bottum track than I count from there, sometimes I use shift+s to solo the track so I can play it and know what it is, this is not cool
and some other small probloms like cannot use first letter navigation on effects menu which is not cool too, because if I have a lot of effects it'll take a pritty long time to reach one
where can I report these accessibility probloms so whoever could fix them sees it,
asking because I know audacity's devs cair about accessibility

2021-04-04 20:54:02

First place would probably to file an issue ticket on Audacity's [github]. Next points of interest could be more screen reader oriented, like the [audacity Access Enhancement NVDA Addon], or [JAWS-Script-for-Audacity], although the NVDA addon looks more recently maintained.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2021-04-04 21:07:31

@magurp244, This is for Linux??

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-04 23:19:57

@3
Yes. There's installing and updating instructions for Audacity on Linux [here].

2021-04-05 00:06:01

@magurp244, Oh I apologise, I should have made this clearer. I meant, referring to your mention of Windows screen readers in post 2.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-05 01:39:06 (edited by magurp244 2021-04-05 02:05:11)

@5
Uh... Now that you mention it talking about windows screen reader addons for linux does seem like a derp thing to post, lol. Accessibility in linux would probably fall under Audacity's implementation of something like speechd. There's a link [here] on Audacity for blind users, Orca is listed as one of the options and it seems there are some known issues with Orca:

As of GNOME 2.16, Orca is a part of the GNOME platform, so is already provided by default on a number of operating system distributions, including Open Solaris, Fedora and Ubuntu. It does not work with the KDE environment. Orca works moderately well with Audacity, including reading most of the toolbar controls, but does not read TimeText controls (spinbox digits). Orca does not indicate track focus or selectedness.

So another place to take this up could also be logging the issue on Orca's [github], or [gitlab] more likely.

2021-04-06 06:29:22 (edited by Ethin 2021-04-06 06:29:33)

Orca's github is a mirror. Note issues on their gitlab, only.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github