2021-04-03 14:06:48

Hi.
I have a samsung note 20 ultra, and am experiencing 2 really annoying issues.
The first being when I leave the phone for some time, this weird thing pops up and says touch protection, drag handle to unlock.
The second thing is when I'm on a phone call, I have to hold the numbers instead of just pressing them.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2021-04-03 15:23:29

I know this is in no way what you asked, but it's worth knowing anyways: In my (admittedly limited experience), the further you get from pure Google (by which I mean the Pixel line I guess), the more weird issues will pop up.

This is because vendors can roll their own versions of Android, which can bugger up the accessibility at times.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-03 16:37:27

I have a resolution
buy an Iphone.
They don't have any issues.
if not, just deal with issues.

meow meow.

2021-04-03 16:52:26

That's an incredibly stupid thing to say, and I prefer iPhone over Android. iPhones don't have issues? Hmm, let's see...

• Voiceover cursor jumping issues

• external audio routing issues

• numeric keyboard inadvertently not showing up in certain aps

• software updates can sometimes cause your battery to drain super fast until another update fixes it

• Sometimes, locking the screen will cause notifications to speak, even when the option is off

• Sometimes, Siri takes a ridiculously long time to do anything, even things like report the time or your battery level

There are more, but need I go on?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-03 17:12:40

meh this patrick k guy is just a troller probably.

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-04-03 19:05:20 (edited by TheBlindSaiyan 2021-04-03 19:08:02)

Lol at 3 and 4 I didn't even bother replying to said post as it was ridiculous to the extreme.
Besides, I paid over 1200 GBP for the phone and do not intend to get rid of it soon.
Also someone give him a spelling lesson, because I've never wisited a website before.

2021-04-03 19:08:15 (edited by Minionslayer 2021-04-03 19:10:31)

Sometimes, I wish this forum had a downvote button, and you could choose to view posts by either popularity or in chronological order.
To attempt to address the questions directly:
1. Disable Accidental touch protection in Settings. Not owning a Samsung handset myself, I don't know where to do this, however your best bet is to just do a search in Settings.
2. What screen reader are you using? Make sure that its touch typing mode (equivalent name) is enabled.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-03 19:15:47

@7 OK then???
To answer your question I'm using CSR, and touch protection was already off.

2021-04-03 19:35:17 (edited by Minionslayer 2021-04-03 19:35:23)

@TheBlindSaiyan, Waht?! Then I'm flawed. If it's off, then obviously it shouldn't do that. I guess you could try restarting...
About your phone keypad, I'd assume it must just be how Samsung designed their software, so there's not a lot you can do about that, say for installing a custom rom I guess.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-03 19:36:28

I'm not troller.

meow meow.

2021-04-03 19:46:30

@PatrykK, Really?? Cause you don't help yourself.

2021-04-03 20:58:46

You have nothing valuable to contribute to like 99.6% of all conversations. You give at best, flawed info, and at worst, misinformation. What does that make you if not a troller.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-03 21:10:33

@ three, that made me laugh. Thanks. ROFL
Seriously, though. What point is that? Not everyone has the money to afford an iPhone.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-04-04 00:57:56

It's a good idea to install a custom rom, but the big drawback is that you can't do this in an accessible fashion, and the app I knew of, "kingroot" won't even work anymore so I guess the only way to do it is via a paid request, unless someone knows of a way?

2021-04-04 01:12:31

I wouldn't bother with romming for such relatively minor drawbacks. I have no idea why people keep recommending this as if it was a one click solution that you just do. Depending on the phone, roms can often introduce other issues.
I can only talk about your second problem in regards to typing. The problem is that the touch typing setting, or rapid key input as Samsung calls it works only with Voice assistant. It used to work with Talkback as well, but from what I have been told Samsung broke that in more modern Android updates. Is your phone on Android 11? If so, that's really strange, but if not, when and if you do get it that might resolve this as Voice assistant will no longer exist.
Also, maybe getting another dialer app will resolve this, but as I haven't really done this I can't tell you which ones are accessible. People used to recommend true dialer back a few years ago, so if this issue does bother you that also might be worth checking out.

2021-04-04 01:51:47

you might want to try using the google diler

2021-04-04 02:32:07

@15 fair enough, I only agreed with the idea as I've heard Samsung sometimes put major bloteware on their phones, so thought it might be some unnecessary UI crap messing with things.
I have downloaded the google dialler, it's called telephone or something like that, and it works when dialling numbers, but it's still the same on an actual call, so if I'm dealing with an automated service it sometimes says I'm to slow because I have to hold the buttons down.
I guess there's nothing I can do regarding this though, but all the same good shout @16! smile
I have another issue that I've just discovered.
When I go to watch a movie it pops up saying this app is using fullscreen, and I'm to swipe inward to get the navigation keys back.
I can't get rid of this, can anyone help?

2021-04-04 12:32:19

Hi

Firstly, if you want to custom rom, do it because of samsung's bloat.
However, I have found that One-UI's been slowly removing the bloat.
Also, the dialing issue is also there in OxygenOS on OnePlus.
For the drag handle thing, I'd suggest resetting the phone. It can sometimes help.

Founder and Managing director of Vidyadrishti.
Check us out on twitter at https://twitter.com/vidya_drishti
Check us out on instagram at https://instagram.com/vd.vidyadrishti
Check my YouTube channel out at https://youtube.com/c/techwithphoenix

2021-04-04 14:14:25

That's really odd about the dialler issue, perhaps it may be related to CSR?
Thanks for your advice @18, do you know how to fix the full screen thing?