2021-04-02 21:15:09

hi,
I am searching for the best way to output text to speech on linux using python3,
I have tryed a library called pyttsx3, it does the job but its problom is it pauses the intire programme while its speaking and I dont think it supports anything other than espeak
I need something that could passes speech to orka like the nvda controller client dll for windows, and if its not possible, just a way to speek using speech dispatcher so the user could select the voice that the programme uses

Unpleasant, something unusual, the barrier between dreams and reality has been broken, and the most frightening of dreams have leaked to the realm of reality, is it just another nightmare?
my github!

Thumbs up

2021-04-02 21:52:50

There is no way to interface with Orca. The best you can do is something like this:

import speechd
client = speechd.SSIPClient("")
# Say something
# Optionally interrupt/stop speech
client.cancel()
client.speak(text)
# Shutdown
client.close()
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

Thumbs up

2021-04-02 22:01:24

Building on that, using Python3-speechd seems to be a generalized way of accessing TTS in general on a linux based platform. Its built on top of [speechd], you can find an overview [here] which lists the supported TTS engines, sound output subsystems, languages, and screen readers, which includes orca.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

Thumbs up