2021-04-02 14:27:54

Hi!
I recently installed a programme that only used SAPI5 voices, but when I went into the Microsoft Text to Speech Control Panel thingy, it only let me select Microsoft voices, or so I thought. Then I came across [this article] which says you have to navigate to the one in Windows/syswow64, which worked.
However, I remember reading a while bac that it was possible to use the Cortana voices with SAPI5, but it required tinkering with the registry. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks! smile

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2021-04-02 14:50:04

The easiest way is to get SAPI Unifier and running it to combine all your voices.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-02 15:18:28

If you mean THE real Cortana voice that is used today in Windows 10 then unfortunately you can't, but you can use the old, compact version of the voice, commonly referred to as Microsoft Eva, by running a certain registry file which probably gets the voice unhidden. I don't actually have a link for that at the moment but you can find plenty of such tricks at the Internet but the only thing I'd say is use them at your own risk and only if you know what you're doing (you may first want to open the .reg file in Notepad to make sure the values it tampers with are safe), but anyway I believe you'll have to take the voice to the syswow64 directory at the end too.

2021-04-02 15:44:50

I'm not sure how the Cortana voices work anyway. There's clearly two voices or variants it switches between, so I'm not sure if the more realistic one is just a TTS voice in and of itself, or just pre-recorded voice clips. If it was a TTS, then I can't see why they would have to create another one (Microsoft Eva as the US one).

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.