2021-04-09 07:55:33

@4. Discord? They do have a discord server, however its over 600k members. If among us hadn't went viral, do you guys think there is more potential for it to be accessible?

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2021-04-09 13:01:29

Honestly I dought that. The more recognised a game get's the better chanse of it getting accessibility, maybie naitivly or via the community

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2021-04-09 13:36:37

everyone says the last of us 2 is accessible. so how many games are there on nintendo alone? every console has more than 100. how many games are there on steam, itch? play store, app store? well, it sure isn't just 1. and TLOU2 if it's just one game. it's a weird accessibility? it's just walking, aiming, aiming, shooting and that. if you can see you can get through it in about 10 hours or a little more i guess while a blind person can get through it in how long? i saw a lets play of 26 parts of 2 hours and some others of 3 hours.

2021-04-09 15:09:17

@27:

That's not how it works. The more popular a game gets the more /everyone/ want things added in and the devs are stretched all over the place.

Let me put it another way. Let's say you got an online game with five admins and two people playing, with a smaller player base the admins can take care of things. Now suppose the game blows up on Reddit/Youtube/etc and suddenly 50 people are playing. Now those five admins are having to deal with every single one of the fifty people wanting something plus whatever they were working on before the game blew up. Now add in high profile people playing it and their fans joining in. Let's say a thousand people now play. Now along comes Johnny McBlindson, wanting to get a hold of one of the devs and be all hey, I want to have this this this this and this done to let my blind friends play, when devs have a million things to do

Also, it's worth pointing out acccessible applies to more than just blind players, FYI.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-04-09 15:28:31

@28: Agreed. If there is that much of a difference for blind players time-wise, the game might be called (barely) playable, but definetely not accessible.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-09 16:20:01

@29, agreed. The fact is that they probably won't have time for us unless that they believe that we're worth their time and money.

I also do agree that we should start trying to ask smaller developers to make their games accessible so that we can play those games and then start trying to ask the mainstream people later. It's worth a shot. Sighted people don't hate us and aren't against us, it's just... Sometimes... Not going to be worth it for them to pay the thousands it's going to take them to make it accessible for how many people?

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-09 16:39:43

Not just that @31 but they have a lot of other groups to consider for accessibility as well as blind players. The attitude here seems to be other disabilities don't matter when it comes to games being accessible. I'm not saying everyone has that mindset but that does seem to come up a lot whenever making a game accessible comes up. You're right that blind players are a tiny, tiny market and also right that shooting for the moon right away isn't a good idea. Devs have every right to focus on the bigger and more profitable markets re: disabled gamers from a purely business perspective.

If you run a company and there's several thousand people who are in wheelchairs or missing a limb but they have let's say $200 disposable income a month, and are happy to spend it on your game, vs 100 blind people who (going by the attitude on this forum) won't pay for anything and try to crack your game, which do you think any dev would focus on first if they are running or involved in running a business?

Another point I want to bring up is this...the giant publishers can afford the losses, the small publishers or indie devs can't

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-04-09 16:42:50

How many blind people will have bought TLOU2? 50,000 at most?
how many sighted people will have bought the game? more than 10000000 i'm sure. so, how much do they earn for the blind and how much for the sighted? so with what i spent on accessibility maybe the blind people who bought the game won't be able to pay all those costs. besides, what do they care if it's accessible for blind people? with all the downloads that Among us has?
the ones it will have for blind people if it becomes accessible it doesn't count anything in the devs money.
besides, someone as a developer focuses on the majority of people, not the minority.
look at my true sound. it started with accessible games and now it's been 5 months since kilta came out and it's not accessible. then they say it will come out soon. but why do i have to play it 5 months later?
i won it in a giveaway in  twitter, but the blind people will have to pay more expensive because of that?
and that's not fair, because I'm not going to buy something and not play it.

2021-04-09 17:07:44

@dan_gero Man you have to pick your battles. With the game blowing up as it has done, they will be too stretched to try to keep up that it's unlikely they'll have time to make it accessible. It's not an impossibility, it's just highly improbable. I get you want to help, but you lack direction. You're like a hyper dog who keps getting yelled at for chewing on stuff, so you chase your tail and chew on that. You wont' be anywhere if you try to force yourself in where you're not needed or wanted. But you can poke and prod and find a places where you are.

Instead of picking this as your hill to die on, you could say hey, I recognize that this might not be the best game, what about some others. TLOU2 happened because all the stars aligned. The people working on the consultancy side of that had prior advocacy experience that made them desirable to work with.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-09 17:18:58

Have you played the last of us part two? it’s a lot more than just walking and shooting. There is stealth, boss battles, Melee combat, puzzles if you don’t skip them, and a few more things I can’t think of off the top of my head. Now, I’m not saying it’s perfect or that we are getting the exact same experience as sighted gamers, but in my opinion for a first main stream effort, it’s pretty good.

2021-04-09 18:11:17

@GCW How do you know where to start? I've done advocacy work before, but in a completely different invironment. I have no experience when it comes to advocating for gamers. Most of the stuff I've done was out in public on the streets or in the Capital Building.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-09 20:05:15

@35 I never said it wasn't good. I just said that the stars aligned to make it all come together. It was a good start, but there's more to be done.

@36 I'm not involved in advocacy, but a logical place to start might be finding indie games that are still early access that might be made accessible, then trying to get your foot in the door with the developers. You will almost certainly want a social media presence as well.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-10 12:04:05

@35: And that's the thing. Accessible for me means getting a similar or at least mostly similar experience as sighted people, and from what I've read here (haven't played TLOU2 myelf), I wouldn't call that game accessible, based on what I just said.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-10 12:56:52

to be honest, why don't we just make one? An amung us game. i don't no how that would work because i mean, were not copying it but i'm sure we could make something simulor.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.