2021-04-02 15:49:50

I just have to point out that everyone is coming up with incredibly contrived ways in which this can happen; if one of those applies, they should be just telling us what this is, the rest is wild speculation, and I also call shenanigans.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-04-02 16:27:50

my school also uses a static IP all the time.

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-04-02 17:32:08

@26, not saying that you’re wrong necessarily, but it’s technically possible that they don’t actually understand a lot of this stuff. I know I didn’t until I was, what, 14 at least?

2021-04-02 17:57:35

I'm not referring to post 1, I'm referring to all the people trying to make excuses/justifications about it when presumably post 1 knows how this happened.  If post 1 doesn't, then post 1 is wrong and it didn't happen this way--the chances are something like 1 in 4 billion otherwise.

I'm sure that seeing that you're banned jumps to an IP ban in your head first because that's what everyone "knows" the internet does, never mind that it's not usually what the internet does.  So I do get that part of this.  But (1) everyone is trying to find some way to make the impossible claim possible and (2) since everyone has done that, all @1 has to do is borrow one of the ideas from this thread to continue explaining themselves.  So if they come back either we get the real story or we get some fiction borrowing from this thread and no one can tell which.

But that's not my primary point.  My primary point is that while we're supposed to assume innocence, in this case it's like saying "no, officer, I wasn't waving the lightning rod when I was struck by lightning, I promise".  Half the explanations here are "this can be done but only on purpose" anyway, which implies that someone did it on purpose, which implies that what--someone called them up and said "can I please have your IP"?

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-04-02 18:09:17

Hey, good on ya, Haily. I thought of that after I made my post, but I was getting ready for bed at the time. Needless to say, we don't know the source of OP's IP address. So, where are they accessing the forum from?

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2021-04-02 19:05:00

I mean, there is one way we can figure all this out. Couldn’t the admin‘s trace the IP and find out where it’s located?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-02 19:12:36

You think they haven't done so? I don't know about everyone on the staff, but Dgleks and especially Jack have a good understanding on how this stuff works. Hell, a geolocate is a google search away using the terms, "geolocate IP address" and typing the addy in the box on the page that pops up. Other avenues are using a service that has an API and writing a small app that will call the API and return the info.

Why is there so much interest in this? The guy is making a bogus claim. You can give benefit of the doubt only to the point where the story starts to fall apart. Well it hasn't just started, it's laying crumpled on the ground.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-02 19:14:35

I don’t think they did that because they never said that they did. They only said the IP addresses were the same.

TWITCH

2021-04-02 19:19:04

yeah, the same, meaning coming from the same institution. If they're coming from the same institution, then they'll return the same info. The chance this guy is telling the truth is astronomical. Still, I support a thorough investigation. I just don't think what makes you think you know more than the staff does about this.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-02 19:21:33

I don't know more than the staff does, that's why I'm asking questions in the first place.

TWITCH

2021-04-02 20:04:33

Wait a moment, remember when Urh aka Urior go on bloodstorm boasting about how he evades his bans on here? Look in the here's why I'm inclined to believe Rory and others topic I made for context

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-04-02 20:06:05

@35, the point GCW is tryign to make is that people who have studdied networking in great detail like myself, Dgleks, Jack, Camlorn and others have already told you that faking an IP address is not possible. It just isn't. The only way for someone to have the same IP address as someone else is by both people being in the same location or using the same VPN, assuming that VPN is just something like a digital ocean box. But you can't fake an IP. Period. It just isn't possible. Generating contrived ways something like this could supposedly be accomplished doesn't do anything.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-02 20:31:26

OK, but we're not talking about faking an IP anymore. We're talking about whether or not the IP is part of a school district.

TWITCH

2021-04-02 22:06:31

That's still pretty unlikely.
At best, that person who came from the same school is a kid playing around and he had fun fun fun till the admins took the account away. IN which case it's accidental guilt by asociation, i.e. if the dude is legitimate in claiming that he had been IP banned due to two people being under the same node, then there isn't much we can do about that. But that is an extremely unlikely scenario - even if it was, we still couldn't unban Donaldsj because he would just continue the shenanigans. So in the best case scenario, we're terribly sorry but there isn't much we can do. Thing is it's not likely.
1. Why did he register on the forum mostly only to sell his tts voice he later found out was not possible?
2. He then is completely oblivious to scams.
3. Comes to us to ask for an onslaught of donations to get his overnight sensation of a website going.
4. Only seems to create topics, watch the reactions, and never reply?
5. Then his character foil, Donaldsj, registers and starts one post-increasing party after another. Ttslover0987814 is noticeably missing in action while this is happening.
6. Donaldsj gets banned.
7. Conveniently, a day after he gets banned, our old pal Ttslover0987814 is back to report that he had no idea how that happened. And we can rule out hte possibility that he was hacked, because his username didn't change - it was a separate account altogether.
8. Says he hates using a VPN: then how did he know where to look for one and find one literally a day after this happened? There's only one possible explanation. Besides, if he hates using a vpn, why even bother in the first place if even just to get on the forum? Even someone who is that desperate probably has some sort of recourse in that kind of environment beides vpn-ing their way into a forum.
See how this being genuine is an unlikely edge case if there ever was one.

2021-04-02 22:22:53

Fair enough Jack. I see your point.

TWITCH

2021-04-02 23:00:20

So, I emagine the investigation is in full force for ban evasion? Cause again, the IP is banned, not the account. And that raises a strange concept, why complain? That would draw too much attention. There's still a lot that doesn't make sense here.

I have a website now.

2021-04-02 23:01:35

Wow, it's like Game of Thrones, with idiots. tongue

2021-04-02 23:49:48

Hey! We prefer to be called differently common sensed.  LOL!!!

I have a website now.

2021-04-03 00:49:04

Um, why would someone even be at a blind school now? Isn't it spring break for most people in the USA?

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-04-03 01:12:10

Not necessarily, depends on when each one has their spring break.

2021-04-03 06:00:09

@44 mine ended a week ago. But everyones is diffrent so...

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-04-03 16:23:45

eh, you can be smart as hell and still have no damn common sense. I knew a guy like that. Usually the ones who are of average intelligence do have a higher grasp of what's referred to as common sense.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-03 18:50:58

Couldn't it be argued that people who realized they were wrong and are willing to admit it are pretty intelligent too? I was wrong, but I managed to figure it out. Some people mess up but are either to prideful to admit it or too prideful to even realize it.

TWITCH

2021-04-03 23:34:59

Yeah. I know people like that.

End racism
End division
Become united