2021-03-30 16:07:01

Hey all,
So yeah, I want to virtualize windows on my Mac. I don't really want to run tough things on that OS, only games and gold wave since I don't know how to edit audio on my Mac and I kind of miss old audio games I used to play.
Is there a free program to do this? It'd be nice if there's one, or if I can try bootcamp though I don't really know how does the thing go over there. I heard people say that apple broke the accessibility of bootcamp and that you can't do it anymore so yeah.
Thanks a lot.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2021-03-30 17:58:16

no, bootcamp is still accessible
or vbbox

2021-03-30 18:03:25

the only free program i know vertual machine wise is vertual box. Not sure how accessible it is as haven"t used it myself... or bootcamp. Otherwise, all the other vertual machine programs are payed.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2021-03-30 20:00:59

Hi.
I'm gonna try that bootcamp thing as everyone's recommending me the thing here and there and they say it's kind of like running the OS like it's windows lol.
This is a little off topic, but do you guys know if the anchor podcast editor is accessible or not? I want to run a podcast myself and was planning to edit the thing with gold wave, as I don't know how to edit audio on Mac.
Thanks.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2021-03-30 20:18:50

bootcamp is a hell a lot faster than any vm shit program you'll run any software on, For example, Running windows, Linux, OR any software on vmware feels like you're using bluetooth headphones, And That makes you feel that sertain programs are laggy, Or, A sertain system is, If it's the first time for you to try it, You think that it's slow while it's really not, And yes, I use bootcamp, My last try on using it was at mac OS cataleena and it works fine for me, No accessability issues at all.

2021-03-30 22:21:48

hi.
And on the bootcamp side, if I don't want windows anymore does it let me uninstall the thing? Or should I reformat it all?
I'm going to try bootcamp one of these days, maybe in holiday because at the moment I'm full with the university.
Thanks.

Take care.
Mike.

2021-03-30 22:29:16

yes, You can delete easily, Open boot cam, click on continue and then it asks you if you want to delete windows.

2021-03-31 01:16:45

To clear up some misinformation: boot camp is *not* a virtual machine creation tool. It *actually* will install Windows on your mac. It is *not available* for the Apple M1 macs.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-31 01:44:55

@5... That's not entirely accurate. Issues like these depend on several factors,
What computer do you have, i:e, processor, ram etc,
How much ram do you give to the machine,
The program you are using to vertualise it.
I've never experienced latency with a vmware vertual machine myself, yet.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2021-03-31 01:58:20

You can use VMWare Fusion Player which is free. I haven't used it, as I'm done with Macs. This is primarily due to Apple's serious neglect of VoiceOver and the fact they're more than willing to let very serious accessibility issues and low quality accessibility across the board persist.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-03-31 03:32:51

I am with @10 and I am finding my self using my windows system a lot more by the time I got rid of my Mac

2021-04-01 06:48:01

Bootcamp or VMWare Fusion are probably your best bet. I've not had much luck with VirtualBox.

Alternatively, you can pay for a cloud PC, like Shadow, which is useful for gaming and such among other things. I do all my Windows stuff on that nowadays.

2021-04-01 16:05:42

Hi.
What is a cloud PC? Yeah, I'm gonna try bootcamp then.
About the Touch Bar thing, as you guys might know, we no longer have function keys. Will I be able to press alt f4? And how can I do that?
Thanks.

Take care.
Mike.

2021-04-02 04:43:01

I would recomend using an external keyboard untill you can get stickers above the keys you need the bar.

2021-04-02 05:52:03

If in a VM, Voiceover will still be available so you can hold down the function key, option and double tap f4 on the touch bar. Extremely awqward and strange, but works. If you are on bootcamp though, basically external keyboard only option unless you are really good at memorizing the layout and space. I'm not even sure you can actually put stickers above them and it still works normally. External keyboard is preferable even for a VM, or else you'll be spending 3 to 5 seconds pressing a combination that requires a function key which can get really annoying.

2021-04-02 12:32:00

Didn't know the cloud PC thing exist.

2021-04-02 12:32:24 (edited by Chris 2021-04-02 12:34:30)

Woah, Shadow sounds really cool! Essentially you get access to a Windows 10 computer running on remote servers over the Internet. Is it a virtual or dedicated machine? How accessible are the apps? This could work for you as long as you're willing to pay for a monthly subscription of $12 to access a Windows system. The base configuration sounds quite good for the money.

2021-04-02 12:43:00

@9
No, Like really, Whatever computer you are running on, Even if it runs on core i9, I'm pretty sure the result would be the same, Try vmware on it, And try bootcamp on it, The fact that bootcamp, really installs the system and runs it like a real one, Makes it the winner, I'm maybe wrong though, Although I dout that.

2021-04-02 12:47:51 (edited by Chris 2021-04-02 12:50:39)

BootCamp provides the best experience because you're running Windows natively on the hardware. I'm typing this on a 2013 MacBook Air with 4 GB RAM, 128 GB solid state storage, and an Intel i5-4250U CPU. It runs like a champ! Sadly, you can't do this on the new ARM Macs until and/or if Microsoft ever decides to make Windows on ARM available to the general public.

2021-04-03 17:25:03

@19:  It's actually not that simple. AFAIK Windows on ARM is released to the public, I'm running it in Parallells. However, Apple would have to write a driver for *everything*. They'd need to write a Wifi driver, a sound driver, a keyboard driver, a display driver...
My personal recommendation is paralells Desktop. You need VOCR to set it up, but once you do, you'll be glad you did.

2021-04-03 17:44:11

No. Windows 10 ARM is not public. I'm running it as well, but those are insider preview builds, meant for testing exactly in a virtual environment, not public images of Windows 10 for ARM you can just install on an ARM based device.

2021-04-03 18:14:40

I'm not holding my breath when it comes to Apple releasing ARM drivers for Windows. They're moving macOS to their own proprietary hardware and most likely don't give a shit about other systems. Yes, ARM isn't proprietary per say, but Apple's stuff most certainly is. Maybe third party developers will come up with ways to do this, but the big appeal of Macs is gone as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to run virtual machines all the time and Apple's neglect of VoiceOver in general really puts a sour taste in my mouth and makes me very sad. I find myself thinking about how good macOS and VoiceOver could be if development had continued as strongly as it was in Snow Leopard and Lion. It's been almost a decade since Lion and all VoiceOver on macOS has received are minor touches here and there.

Shadow sounds really interesting, but I wonder how well it works for a blind person? How responsive is the remote connection with audio? How accessible are the apps? As I said, this could be an interesting alternative as long as you're willing to pay a monthly subscription to access a Windows 10 computer.