2021-03-28 06:14:29

Hello...
I'm experiencing a strange issue with my system sounds, and it's been going on for a while. I tried to look this up, but I can't find out how to fix it, and the one place I could find was going to make me sign up for a forum account which I have no desire to do just to solve one problem. My issue is that certain system sounds will play, but others won't unless it's something specific. Windows plays sounds when switching folders in file explorer, and it also plays the selection sound when moving between items in a list. It won't play the speech recognition sounds or any other system sound at all unless I click the test sound button in the sounds control panel. It also won't play the critical stop or default beep sounds when they're supposed to unless other programs require it or when adjusting my system sounds volume. Default beep also plays when I push the J key or any other unrecognized key while in browse mode with NVDA, but I'm pretty sure it only works because NVDA tells the system to play that sound. None of these sounds actually play when they're supposed to when interacting with windows explorer. Does anyone have any idea why it's not working right? If I need to, I guess I could reinstall Windows to fix this, and considering all the other oddities my computer has exhibited that probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'd rather not have to do that if I don't have to. On a side note, I heard a forum user say that Windows seems to self destruct after a year or 2 of use, and that really does seem to be true. I take good care of my tech, but no matter what I do I just cannot keep Windows from eventually destroying itself in some of the weirdest ways I have ever seen a computer break itself. Does anyone know of some way I could fix this little system quirk?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-03-28 07:31:01

You can also try opening an administrator command prompt by pressing windows+x then a, and running this command.
schtasks /run /tn \Microsoft\Windows\Multimedia\SystemSoundsService

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2021-03-28 12:09:24

Interesting. I've run into similar problems if I choose the restart button in Windows Update, but sounds usually return upon a normal restart. I just update and restart manually after installing updates now. What are you doing that should be generating a default and critical stop sound?

2021-03-28 12:32:22

I'm experiencing the same bug using the Majorly G soundtheme. It only happens with this theme, on this computer. Talon and the rest of the team seem to be aware of this issue on their page, but no solution has been given. I suppose I could live with having to type a command to restart my audio services every other logon, but I'm probably just gonna reinstall Windows and go straight to LTSC or something like that.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-03-28 14:32:52

@3, thanks a ton for that! I've had multiple computers with this issue, so it's good to finally have a simple if manual fix. And it does work on my end, at least. So that's cool.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2021-03-28 15:04:01

Maybe I'll try writing something to run the command upon every startup.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-03-28 18:10:24

Hey thanks Slender, your command worked!

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-15 09:56:17

So I have one machine that has this problem and another that behaves as expected. Anyone find a permanent solution to this, or do we just run the above command every time?

2021-04-15 10:49:38

How strange. Are there any differences between the two machines, such as one having fast boot on and one off? I always recommend disabling fast boot because of the problems it can cause. Is this happening with every restart or just when updating? If when updating, try restarting manually instead of with the update and restart button after installing updates. Have you made sure that there's no system file corruption going on with SFC?

Oddly, I had a similar issue with the startup sound and only the startup sound. SFC found no issues and I had no idea what was going on. Still don't. After upgrading to a new version, the problem seemed to have fixed itself. So maybe try an in-place upgrade.

2021-04-15 15:47:42

@quanin, Post 9 outlined some tips you could do, but if none of those work, a quick way to launch the command is to create a shortcut to CMD. Put this wherever you like. I tried putting it in shell:startup, but it didn't work. Next, in the target field after the path, type "/k", followed by the command in question. Then, click Advanced, and check to run the shortcut as admin upon launch. Of course you'll have to click Yes upon a UAC prompt if you have that enabled. As I mentioned, I tried putting the shortcut in shell:startup to have it launch automatically, but the shortcut wasn't launching for some reason.
@Draq, The option to disable Fast Boot is literally not even there, or it's greyed out. I never though of an in-place upgrade, I'll give it a shot at some point.

2021-04-15 21:55:33

Strange...

I go to power settings in settings.
I then go to additional power options. You could skip this step by just going to control panel.
From here I go to choose what the power buttons do, and then to change settings that are currently unavailable. The checkbox for fast startup should then appear in the available options.

2021-04-15 23:08:29

Hello,

You could probably go into notepad and make a .bat file with the command in it. Then put this file in the shell:startup folder and it (should) work as expected.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-15 23:10:46 (edited by Minionslayer 2021-04-15 23:11:13)

@MatthewSmithYT, But how would you make it auto-run as admin? I think that was my biggest issue with the method.

2021-04-16 22:43:27

@9: Fast boot is turned off, and yes it only happens after an update. Or, sometimes, after I've installed a program that requires I restart. My machine restarts automatically because I prefer it, but I'm not married to it if a manual restart would pretty much fix my problem. There are no differences between the two machines--both are running latest Windows, both have nearly exactly the same settings. The only difference is the machine that doesn't have this issue was upgraded to 20-H2, whereas the machine that has the issue shipped with 20-H2 installed already. I've run both SFC and the DISM tool, neither resolved my issue. I'd rather not have to reinstall just to fix this one issue, but I mean if I need to, then I can. Doesn't seem worth it, though.

2021-04-16 23:14:46

Yeah. Next time you have to restart due to installing something, try a manual restart. I'm not sure why that's an issue, but that's always been my experience.

2021-04-17 15:00:54

It seems that enabling Fast Boot fixes the issue (probably just because the service failed to load on startup for some reason).

2021-04-17 15:30:42

There's no logic in that, it should be the other way around. Fastboot always fucks everything up because it snapshots the driver state.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-17 17:01:14 (edited by Minionslayer 2021-04-17 17:01:44)

@GrannyCheeseWheel, Some things are illogical... If it snapshotted the drives in a working state, then...

2021-04-18 00:23:50

But then when you do a restart instead of a shutdown, it doesn't pull from that snapshot.

2021-05-21 03:47:34

Think I may have figured out why this issue occurs. The task you're instructed in #2 to restart at the command line is a logon-based task. But when your machine restarts after an update, for whatever reason, Windows doesn't register that you've logged in when you actually do, you know, log in. So because Windows doesn't register that event, the task that looks for that event never fires. I don't know if this is associated at all with the setting to restart all your apps after an update, but that's the only thing I can think of.

How I found this correlation: I have an app on my desktop that functions as a monitoring agent for certain events. So I get notified if, for example, my system shuts down--as it did tonight to install an update--and when it comes back online. One of the events I'm supposed to be notified about is if someone logs into the machine. Well, I logged in, and the notification didn't fire. So essentially, despite all evidence to the contrary, I never logged into this machine.

That being said, if that's what it is, then simply logging out and back in should fix you--no need to restart the task from the command line, or restart your computer a second time. This is, however, just a guess on my part based on 0 actual testing. If anyone wants to be my test subject the next time it breaks, you're welcome to it.

2021-05-21 07:03:54

Very interesting. I wonder if Microsoft knows about this one.

2021-05-21 21:32:54

It hasn't broken in a while oddly enough. I updated Windows recently, so perhaps it fixed it?

2021-05-22 11:20:48

I'm having this issue as well.
If I go to modify the windows sound scheme, the default windows allocated sounds will play, but if I picked a different one for example the file explorer action sound to bring back the windows 7 click, the sound is there and plays when you press test but gets ignored when you press apply.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2021-05-22 17:50:32

@TheBlindSaiyan, Do any of the methods above help to fix the problem?

2021-05-22 17:55:23 (edited by quanin 2021-05-22 17:55:50)

@22: Not unless you're somehow running a newer version than me. I updated a couple hours before I posted @20 and I had to perform the trick again.