2021-03-26 19:22:44

Hi,

So let's shortly tell you what exactly scambaiting is.

Scambaiting is a form of Internet vigilantism primarily used towards advance-fee fraud, IRS impersonation scam, technical support scams, pension scams, and consumer financial fraud.
Scambaiters pose as potential victims to waste the time and resources of scammers, gather information useful to authorities, and publicly expose scammers. They may document scammers' tools and methods, warn potential victims, provide discussion forums, disrupt scammers' devices and systems using remote access trojans and computer viruses, or take down fraudulent webpages.

So what do you exactly think of it? Is this legal, considering that scammers are also doing ilegal shit?

If you think that this topic shouldn't be here, let me know and I'll edit it, or mods feel free to do that yourself.

Email: [email protected]
Discord: StormProductions
Telegram: https://stormproductions.t.me/

2021-03-26 19:35:24

It's kind of a legal gray area. You could get hit with a harassment charge, or a hacking charge, but you might get let off because you were fighting scammers.

2021-03-26 19:53:45 (edited by StormProductions 2021-03-26 19:54:44)

Hi,

Agreed, however I'm using a website for that, which calls the scammer numbers using an American toll-free number, this meaning that they have no way to find out who calls them, considering the fact that I'm giving them fake generated information whenever they ask names, street addresses, credit card info, etc.
Yes, you are always responsible for your own actions so whatever you do, that's on your responsibility and not on them. If you do something illegal you can be held accountable for that. That doesn't mean they'll fuck you over. They're protecting their users from being identified since they don't require personal information from you when you sign up for their website, . You don't even need an email address for their autentication method. But still, proceeding on your own risk still applies. Also, the numbers on their site are confirmed scammers and scammers won't go after people in 99% of the cases because they're doing illegal stuff themselves which is worse than whatever we are doing. They don't reveal user information and always act in favor of the users.

2021-03-26 20:07:16 (edited by MatthewSmithYT 2021-03-26 20:10:39)

Sounds fun, but you'll want to make sure your VM is nice and secure and stealthy before messing around with any scammers, just in case they try and grab anything off of you.

There's a guy called Jim Browning on YouTube if you haven't heard of him. He's made a video about this.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-03-26 20:34:30

@3, that depends. Have you looked at the privacy policy of the company you're using to generate numbers with? They may, if prompted, be more than happy to hand over your information to the authorities.

2021-03-26 20:40:56

"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." It's fine to waste their time if they call you but to send them a virus could get you into trouble.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-03-26 20:47:55

What is also important to note here is that while some scammers are amitures, some are actual criminal gangs who do have high technical capabilities. They may appear dum on the surface, but there's a whooooole network underneath. Be careful

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-03-26 21:18:19

I'm not sure how it would be handled legally, but morally I have no issue with it. If it's what you want to do as a hobby, fine. I don't even care about fucking up their computers and sending them viruses and such things. Just be careful that you're actually truly anonymized because if something bad happens to you, it's your fault for messing with that. There are several well-known Youtubers and Twitch streamers that have been popping up over the years, some of them with large blind followings. I don't personally care for them, but it might be something you're into.

2021-03-26 21:27:11

See, I also do this. I use bobrtc.tel, but I never hack anyone, however I mess with them and it's absolutely amazing.

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-03-26 21:33:21

I waste their time but I don't send viruses. I see nothing wrong with it as they're doing more illegal things, but I don't personally, just to avoid any legal trouble.

2021-03-26 22:17:00 (edited by MatthewSmithYT 2021-03-26 22:18:10)

I'd agree with post 10
As long as you don't send them viruses or anything you're fine.
Although there's plenty of fun little things you can do with them using command prompt, outside of deleting things.
I mean, you can force restart their computers, mess with things just to make it hard for them to operate their systems, things like that with no issue legally I'd think.
However, "They did something worse," may not be the best excuse.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-03-26 22:52:30

i mean, their's youtubers that delete there files, hack there phone lines  and all that.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-03-26 23:05:27 (edited by seb 2021-03-26 23:06:18)

I'm a pretty big fan of Kitboga, and he brought up a pretty valid point regarding that. You messing up their computers and things like that could potentially destroy evidence or interfering if there's someone who's actually monitoring these scammers, hence why he doesn't do it, unlike the other youtubers. Mind you though, I seriously can't stand these scammers and what they are doing is beyond disgusting. It's funny to mess with them, however read a few true stories here and there and you'll be sick to your stomach knowing what they do.

2021-03-27 00:25:13

Hi,

Please read this on their website, then tell me what you think:
https://bobrtc.tel/legal
After reading this, my opinion is that this service is pretty safe.

2021-03-27 00:49:47

I just hope that every name on their "bad actor" list is actually a bad actor, not someone put there by someone else with an agenda.

I.e. "I really don't like Joe. I can get him on this scambating list, and..."

2021-03-27 01:28:21

I'm pretty sure I saw a community that had to make a post saying "guys don't add people you don't like, it's rude. Also we'll ban you." So yeah it's probably a problem in those kinds of communities.

2021-03-27 08:20:42

Hi,

Yes, this website doesn't allow adding people that they don't like, their friends or whatever else.
Before they submit a number to public usage, they check whether that number is a scam or not.
And if a person adds a number that is not a scam or that belongs to a scam category that they don't cover, that number is removed from their servers and that person is temporarily, or permanently banned, depending on what kind of number they provided.
I'm now also watching different YouTubers that actually scam people and even send viruses to their units. They're on YouTube and get hundred thousands views, and they have no problem with the law or whatever else.
I still need to do a lot of research and investigation before I can do the same, as I don't want to get in legal trouble. Actually no one wants, you know what I mean.

2021-03-27 09:50:14

bobrtc.tel is absolutely amazing, and if I bring an accessibility issue with them they fix it  very soon.

2021-03-27 09:52:25

lol, this brings back memories and fun times of the last 3 years where i used to calll scammers, including the platform called bobrtc i think the name was, it's bin a long time sence i've done any call and i kinda mis that, maybe i am goign to one of these days.

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2021-03-27 12:33:57

Wasting their time is already helpful. I remember wasting an hour of time to one when I was much younger. I saw a video from kitboga where he managed to waste 10 hours of the guy's time, it was quite funny. I love when he redeems gift cards into his own account and see them freak out.

Also, when you setup the VM they will remote in, there is so much troll potential. Kitboga had a thing where when you search on google, it would search on Bing instead and bring you to the 6th page of results, so scammers have trouble finding stuff on your computer. You can add overlays, you can totally mess with them.

However, I highly recommend to
1. Make sure you have a secure setup, including a VPN, they capture IPs
2. Use a voice changer, they can record everything
3. Any piece of information must be fake and randomly generated.
4. No video chat, if you have a webcam, physically disable it, unplug it or put a sticker on it.
5. Triple check that your VM has no personal info, account name, files on the machine, everything.
6. Make sure the VM has no access to your local network
7. After a scam bait, destroy the VM and recreate one

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2021-03-27 13:06:26

Yes, you need to be careful with this so that nothing can be used against you in the legal field. It must be remembered that each country has its own laws and regulations, you need to study them well enough so that there are no problems, because scammers can do the same.

2021-03-27 13:15:22

saw a few videos about scamming the indian tech support scammers a few times on youtube. while, ok, it might help peapol to avoid the scammers, or whatever, at first I think it is funny, and then I kind of realize this guy basicly feeling high and mighty because he thinks that he did the right thing and so may just do whatever he  pleases, destroying the scammer's computer, using racist word etc. I don't see the diffrent between the guy and the scammer now. I think he is called ScammerRevolts on youtube or something.

2021-03-27 17:37:47

oh yeah that one is a freek.

2021-03-28 06:43:45

PleasantGreen is one of those people who goes after scammers, but he tries to help them. That's a good channel to watch.

2021-03-31 03:29:02

o wow, I did one of those scam bating things using bob rtc and one scammer was  yelling me to get my sh*t out of his, world, so I told him that he is a scammer. I have a vidio about it in my youtube channel, very old vidio though. let me know if youw ant to here how epicly I decided to fight with a direct tv scammer

my new youtube channel. click subscribe if you like my stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzL-l8 … YCkjOm3FIg