2010-08-03 18:45:33

OK. I'm going to ask a question that I think  the answer is no. Does eyesite really matter when being a parent? Here is the thing that brings this question up and I thought I should ask it here. It is talked about some here on this podcast. I hope this brings some good education in discussion. Sorry about the long links.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-08-03 19:22:07

no. it makes no differents! that's mad! that's horoble! it's not right! why did they have to do that? have they been arrested?

2010-08-03 19:29:42

I don't know if they have be arrested yet, but that is a good question.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2010-08-04 00:13:43

Interesting. Thanks actually Cw, I'll use this in my phd thesis on disability, ---- particulary in the 4th chapter which is on social prejudice and disbelief.

To an extent I can understand the concern. My mum and granmar were both blind, (though my mum has some residual vision like me). Therefore various things had to be done differently, ---- for instance, my mum couldn't watch where I went on a play park when i was litle, so walked around behind me, ---- which actually made me a pretty good climber.

KLike anything with disabilities, it takes more effort and work. if, as seems the case in this artical, someone is inteligent and committed enough to make that effort, ---- then that is certainly reasonable, but I could see issues with someone who wasn't, ---- what if for instance a child put it's hand in a fire when it's parents weren't watching it?

This isn't to say things would automatically be impossible, only that where as it wouldn't matter if a good parent was blind, if a bad one was, it would indeed make the situation worse.

There was however in this case litle or no evidence to assume that the couple in question were! bad parents, indeed it sounds like normal parental difficulties were being attributed to disability (something else I'll cover in my phd), so the judgement of the state authority was involved was too harsh.

also though, there is a modern tendency to overblow anything where kids are concerned. One school had to have notes from parents in order for kids to make dazy chains sinse they worried it was against health and safety! ---- child abuse of any sort is really the modern bogey man, which probably made the judgement of this case even more extreme than it already was.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-08-04 04:21:02

I can't say blind people make good parents but the thing is it doesn't automatically mean they're bad parents. There is a difference between saying "blind people make good parents" and "blind parents are as good as parents who aren't blind."

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.