2021-05-11 23:19:40

but report him on what, selling files that are already in his server? I am not agreeing with what he did but there is really nothing we can do that effects anyone

2021-05-11 23:22:43

Report him to the provider he uses.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-05-12 03:04:36

Its back btw, although PM's are no longer logged.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-05-12 03:23:44

That's hardly a fix. Hey we can't stop them from breaching us and collecting your data, so we'll just collect a little less. This is precisely the type of thing I expected. It's a corner cutting measure, and hardly enough time to really reflect on what needs to be done to prevent such an occurrence in the future.

It can also be helpful to log PMs. Even if you dont' make a habit out of snooping through them (which I would recommend you not), it's like probable cause for law enforcement. If someone does something suspicious, you now have probable cause to look through their PMs and see what they're up to.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-05-12 04:54:20 (edited by Ethin 2021-05-12 05:00:09)

@327, no, for selling PII to other users without consent, and thereby violating the GDPR. It would be a violation of the CCPA but this isn't a business.
I don't know but I'm pretty positive that what Patric did does in fact violate privacy law, since he did, I believe, have people from the EU connecting to his server and did not protect their PII appropriately. If I'm not mistaken, if a website or service has users from the EU or from California, the administrators of that service must comply with either or both the GDPR and CCPA, even if they aren't hosted in either location. As I mentioned, the CCPA does not apply in this instance, but the GDPR does. That's not from the TOS but just general law. Specifically, this breach may be violations of articles 5, 6, 7, and, possibly, article 8 of the GDPR if minors are involved.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-05-12 05:30:10

I can confirm that there are indeed people from California and the EU, france, Germany, the Netherlands, etc who were involved in the leak.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-05-12 08:50:55

as well as minors

One of the lead developers of the Final Hour audio game, currently in beta.
https://finalhour.lowerelements.club

2021-05-12 10:02:22

then the guy is pretty much screwed if someone reports him.

2021-05-12 10:38:16

What about Patrick himself being a minor? Might that be a problem?

2021-05-12 12:26:15

May I suggest you guys get someone who is better qualified in reporting them if you really get somewhere. I'm sure they receive reports every single week about something or the other, so you need to make this stand out

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2021-05-12 14:34:01

If he's a minor, it should fall on the parents.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-05-12 17:41:29

All of this for 100 dollares, sigh lol.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-05-13 01:02:54

Yeah something like that wouldn't be worth the money.
And if I'm not mistaken, his dad pays for the VPS so it should fall back on him