2021-02-15 02:11:40

Okay, I confess that the title makes this sound like a weird fork, or generally something it isn't. I've just decided to play through manamon 2 again, for the hell of it, and am wondering if anyone wants to help me jumpstart the process. If not, I can do it myself (see below).

Anyway, the aim here is a Magnus Archives theme team. Specifically, the entities. If you do not know about the Magnus Archives and want to, do not read much beyond this point, because
here
be
some
spoilage

The Corruption: Bombusect
Seriously, it's a freaking undead parasitic wasp. What else could you want?
The Web: Squarpha
The Web is known for deceit, trickery and general mischief. Squarpha is likewise. I could've picked Symphonid here (see what I did there with webs?), but 1. Symphonid's old news for me now, having used it multiple times, and 2. I've never actually used Squarpha yet in either game. I've caught it, peeked at it, but that's it.
The Hunt: Frenrir
Wolves hunt. Wolves chase prey. The Hunt is all about hunting and prey and that animal drive to kill. Plus, I've never used Frenrir in Manamon 2, and I want to see how it stands up as an ice type in this game. Can it do better than Submenno, Arctana and Maustadon, and Penguilum for that matter?
The Desolation: Ursinearator
The Desolation is all about pain and anguish. This flame-poison type can burn things down, plus belch out toxic smoke. I'd say it's a decent fit. I considered Dussocket for this spot, but ultimately rejected it.
The Lonely: Marlaunt
I've never used Marlaunt before (again, I know what it does and I've seen it, but never used it yet that I can recall). The Lonely is all about emptiness, being forgotten, and Marlaunt fits here. Also could have used The End for this instead.
The Vast: Pegastorm
The Vast is an entity which concerns itself with open space, falling, the general insignificance of existence. Pegastorm is a flying horse that can call lightning (one aspect of the Vast, BTW), and would generally command the sky. I'm going for a bit of ironic juxtaposition here, since a holy type should ideally be noble and such, but the entities are based on fears.

If any of you have any of these manamon bred well, and are willing to pass me a very low-level baby with good stats, please let me know. Otherwise, as I said, I can just do it myself.

For that matter, if there are other manamon paired with entities you want to suggest, go ahead. My favourite entity of all, The Buried, isn't on this list. I tried to make the team so that it was reasonably balanced, with a couple of large holes (magic is one, earth is another).

Let me know what you think.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-02-15 03:18:24 (edited by titan_of_war 2021-02-15 03:19:33)

Will you be recording it?, and how do you get sinvavid anyways, i only could get cortanchala, is it some transformation item. and sorry for the spelling stuff, i suck at manamon names. lol.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-02-15 03:25:43

@2, the game does have a keystroke to spell names for you... lol.
@1, I do have at least a few of these bred fairly if not very well. I've got some stuff to take care of right this minute, but give me a few hours and I can take a look.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2021-02-15 03:34:22

I'm hoping to get it rolling sometime this week (hopefully starting before Wednesday), so you've got time.
Basically, as far as breeding goes, I'm looking for well-developed or better in every stat that matters. If Squarpha has terrible attack, or Frenrir has bad special attack, I don't care; those stats won't be used. But a Marlaunt with bad speed and only okay attack would just be a waste of time for me; helpful and all, but still a bit of a waste, as I could just catch my own and breed it once I hit Brytanburg. I know this makes me picky as hell, but that's how I am.
And as I said, if I can't get outside help in the end, I can do it on my own; this would just drastically shorten the process.

2021-02-15 03:34:34

I could get you some of these at level 1, namely Bombusect and Squarpha. I thought I had more of them but that's all I can find. Alternatively, I could get you all but Pegastorm if you don't care that they're level 25. That would leave you well and truly overprepared for a bit but that part of the game is a piece of piss anyway. Just means no grinding for a while. tongue
As for Frenrir, I really didn't care for it all that much this time around. I prefer pretty much any of the others. Well, except for Rescumo, and I haven't used Frostond.
I also got some decent mileage out of Squarpha on my water team.
Also, completely unrelated to this, but, if you ever want to make the Byron fight even more of a joke, a team of mons that all have earthquake is just hysterical. My team of choice was Lionatar and ghost Lionatar, Pandourbit, Mightauras, Maustodon and Garganchan.

2021-02-15 03:49:38

I've considered a sort of natural disaster team. All manamon with Earthquake or Flood, or maybe three of one and three of the other.

Putting them all at level 25 that early is...going to be a bit overkill. Have you used train points on them or anything? If you did, I figure it's quite likely you probably put points into the right stats anyway, but I thought I'd check.
Squarpha and Pegastorm would be the last two to join the team anyway, so if I had a team of 25s that were well set up, and just had to get myself a Unicloud of my own, I could do that.
And as far as Frenrir goes, you'll probably be right. I just want to see how it actually stacks up, and I needed something themed for hunting. Thought an arctic wolf type deal would work out well. lol As I said, I've deliberately not chosen the best of everything; in fact, most of this team looks decidedly mediocre, and that's half the fun.

2021-02-15 04:07:36

Yeah they're trained already. Maxing out the attack stat first and then speed is how I tend to train things. Ursinearator I have split evenly between strength and magic attack, which you might not want depending on how you tend to build it. Also, which ability do you want on Bombusect? I have both, but I usually use the one with parasitic. That and a root point makes parasite bite hit pretty damn hard. And, my Frenrir looks like it's just a straight import from Manamon 1, so the breeding is kinda gross compared to what I usually make in Manamon 2. I'm trying to make another one to replace that. Currently I have remarkable strength and everything else is like reasonable or more great than not. So bleh on that one, I can do better.

2021-02-15 04:45:47

And there we have a better Houndorf. Remarkable in everything but magic attack which is well developed. But it gets no special moves so that could have been underdeveloped and been just as well.

2021-02-15 04:58:20

I'm pretty much ready to go. I don't remember Bombusect's other ability right off the top of my head, but I'm about to go dig it up. Thanks for your help, BTW. And that Houndorf is brilliant. Lucky roll you ended up with.

2021-02-15 05:04:14 (edited by derekedit 2021-02-15 05:09:11)

Bombusect's other ability is critical reaction. Taking a critical hit will raise its strength by 2 stages I think. That's nice and all but I think I'd rather have parasitic. And, yeah I guess it is a lucky roll, but I also started with a random one I had in another save file that was actually better than what I had in my main save file. the one I started from had underdeveloped health and reasonable speed with everything else remarkable. Put a gene emblem on that and it's just a matter of repetition. Eventually it's going to hit something good. I still wish we could choose what gets passed down.
So am I just sending you everything I have at level 25 or do you want whatever I have at level 1? I was sure I had a level 1 Marlaunt and Coaleer but can't find either one at that level

2021-02-15 05:07:31

Believe it or not, I'm actually gonna take Critical Reaction over Parasitic. Critical hits suck, and to get nasty-strong when hit with a critical hit will let Bombusect turn a decently good attack stat into a team-wrecking attack stat. Plus, although its HP is kind of garbage, you can sorta fix that with Requiem Hourglass later, and its defenses are good, so it can actually sorta kinda take hits.
BTW, training Ursinearator the way you did (split between attack and special attack) is exactly how I planned on doing it.

Assuming you're ready and able, I'm opening a room called
magnus
no funky stuff, you know the drill.

2021-02-15 05:29:05

I did give you the Bombusect with critical reaction I hope? tongue

2021-02-15 07:37:25

It was mentioned in post 2, but will you be recording this? I haven't heard you play manamon before, and I think that would be fun to listen to. If you have recorded any previous playthroughs, please send a link so I can have a listen.

2021-02-15 08:30:47

I've mentioned this before, elsewhere, but will say it again here since yes, the question was asked.
I haven't got a clue how to record. I'd need someone to walk me through what's needed and how to set it up, as I'm a complete newbie at such things. I don't have any external sound cards and have no idea how to make videos or whatnot. Also, to be perfectly honest, there's the question of required effort vs. overall penetration. If it's going to take a bunch of money and a whole lot of time, and only like 7-10 people are going to watch it - especially given that this is not going to become my career or anything - is it worth it? So I'm not saying hard no, but I'm not at all convinced it's worthwhile.

Also, Derekedit, yes, you did give me the correct Bombusect. Is there a specific reason why you had a bunch of mons at level 25 specifically? I truly don't mind, I'm merely curious.

2021-02-15 09:24:56

I understand. but then how are we supposed to no what's happening?. will you be updating us. i'm pritty sure that's like the only way, i'm not sure. a recording for be much bettor imo. i'm pritty sure all you would need is a good mike. it least, that's all i needed, i just used vurtual recorder. and it recorded the game sounds. but i have no idea. i'm sure obs would be bettor though so.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-02-15 09:30:34

Yayde, write me a pm if you wwant some small mons smile

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2021-02-15 11:44:57

That is a very interesting idea. Just a bit sad that the story is not changeable for this playthrough to get some more Magnus madness into the game. smile

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2021-02-15 13:01:42

Level 25 is as high as they can be and still be usable before the second stadium. That's pretty much it really. So my Mortrex, which is level 26, ignores me until I beat the second stadium. I did it like that so I didn't have to deal with trading it every time I used it on a run.

2021-02-15 13:51:36

A streamed thing of this would be awesome

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2021-02-15 14:27:17

What about, well, correcting the story?
I assume you abandoned it.
If you prefer, you can do a brand new file.
If you are an NVDA user, here's how to do it:
First, download and instal the speech history addon.
In manamon obtions, select screen reader mode.
Now, you're ready to start a new game.
When you reach a cutscene, first try pressing z to copy the text.
The z key doesn't always work. In this case, use shift+f11 and shift+f12 to focus on the text that must be copied and press f12 to copy it.
Paste it, correct mistakes as required and press enter in manamon window to continue.
When you encounter a hyper form or a manamon you're forced to fight with, you may press n to hear its description and f12 to copy it afterwards.
When you encounter a question with choices, assuming the question is different than "How do you wish to respond?", use shift+f11 to set focus on the question, f12 to copy it, paste it, return to manamon window, select the desired answer, copy it with z or f12, paste it ofcourse and finally press enter in manamon window to move on.
If the question is "How do you wish to respond?", always copy only the answer you wish to select.
When you go to a place where you know something important will happen, use f12 immediately after entering it to copy its name.
When inputting is required, like at the beginning of the game or in Mamia, input the required information in both manamon window and the text editor.
For the fun of it, you may copy every encountered Eshconite and Oghminion's speech.
I advise that after completing each cutscene you save the file and then the game.
If you prefer to do it that way, that's your choice.

2021-02-15 15:16:32

No, I haven't abandoned it. The truth is that I didn't do much of anything over the last little while, and I'm getting back into all the stuff I left dangling in the wind.

2021-02-15 20:31:16

Alright then, just let me know when you finish this stuff.
I've remastered my version of the file so that it now provides place names and thus is less chaotic.
I've also added descriptions of monsters when fighting against an inportant person like oghma, stadium leader, Eshcon, Byron, Andromeda, Master tamers and Mercilla.
I also added the Sirenea against maustadont battle log so that it's clear why the hero was fighting against Mercilla.

2021-02-16 09:50:16

@jayde if you want to record your game I suggest you use OBS Studio, it's a free and open source program, and I have made several guides on it over at the articles room, you don't need to read all of them but the basic setup one should get you going.

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2021-02-16 21:11:59

I'm curious, how do people decide what stats to train mons with? Do you generally try to wait and see what sort of attacks they end up with or what they already have and then train based off that?

2021-02-16 21:38:32

That's pretty much exactly what most of us do. Figure out the role the manamon is supposed to have, based on its moves, then play to your strengths.

Thanks for the tips re: the articles room. I'm gonna have a peek in there and see what I find out.