2021-02-11 20:03:33

Hello everyone!

So, out of curiosity, I want to ask the question how you guys were introduced to audiogames (what game you played first, how you found this site, etc.)?

Here's my story:

When I was visiting a friend some years ago, he showed me the four audiogames he used to play regularly at that time. They were Audiodisc, Top Speed 3, Drive and a german audiogame, the title of that game roughly translates to "day becomes night". He showed me these four games, but we mainly played Top Speed 3. That's why this is such a special game for me.

Some time passed, and then I learned (through Top Speed 3's manual) that you could make custom cars and tracks for the game. When searching for this user-created content, I stumbled upon this site and first found the database and then the forum.
For many years, I just observed the discussions and releases without being registered, before creating an account in 2017. However, I didn't actively post on the forums until some time in 2018.

Looking forward to some interesting stories!

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-02-11 20:08:22

I really don't remember. Though I can say that I knew about the website way before I realized it had a forum attached. I used to check up and down for new releases that sounded good. I remember playing a lot of Jim Kitchen's games. I don't recall which was my first, but it was probably either Judgement Day or one of Kitchensinc games.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-11 20:22:45

I linked off from playing If archive text games. Spent years playing through those on my braile note until I finally got a proper laptop from the local disability org. While trying to setup interpretors that worked with Jaws, I found audiogames.net and decided to take a look.

Like another person, I found the games before noticing the forums linked with it. So I mostly just tumbled through the list of games that existed at the time,a nd tried many out. Openned up a whole new world of entertainment for me, and I am now here.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2021-02-11 21:28:45

hi,
for me it was threw my   assistive technology instructor and he  showed  me this website and  my first audiogame was  sonic zoom. then I didn't really check this website  until I started playing muds and have  never looked back since then.

2021-02-11 21:44:29

I started with some Jim kitchen games for dos back in 04/05 during one of those blind training academies yiu live at after finishing grade school, but the sound on their pc was broken so I had to settle for text. When I learned about a free little screen reader in 2011 called nvda and installed it on our home pc, I started investigating blind gaming further and that is where I got started with audio games like Tarzan junior, descent unto madness and entombed. Games were very different then, and more experimental.

2021-02-11 22:30:12 (edited by manamon_player 2021-02-12 13:20:53)

hi
I found here by help of google's search engine
when I was 11 or 12 with help of some people and with they translations I downloaded the games from here without knowing that here also has a forum
after some years and some failed registrations and a lot of works Against the law such as making dramas and responding them and making clones, i'm now here. I can't forget my passed but I can repair myself and go for the future.
I never give up

2021-02-12 04:57:32

For me, ironically it was browser games first.
I had had this idea that games belonged on games systems, and computers and the internet were intended for school/university work only.

I had enough vision to play at least some of the 16 bit era games back on consoles like the snes when I was growing up, but at this point it was 2003, all the games were complex and 3d and it seemed there was nothing else.

Then I ran across an announcement in a braille magazine which mentioned whitestick.co.uk, and the games to play online page.
I looked at some of the offline games, but the idea of an audiogame was one I found just weird, and several I heard descriptions of like beautiful ears just didn't sound anything like the console games I was used to, or indeed the fps and rpg games I so much desired to play.

So, for a couple of years I stuck to playing games like sryth, ashes of angels and legend of the green dragon, which were great as far as they went, (as well as teaching me how to use the internet with Supernova), but didn't go all that far.

Then in 2005, Bryan P on the Sryth forums recommended me shades of doom, which was not only an fps,  sounded much like the types of horror fps I'd wanted to try.

I'd never installed a program before, but I installed shades of doom, and likewise bought the game.
~That was a real revelation for me, the game was adictive, atmospheric, and everything I'd wanted.
So I decided to investigate what other audiogames were available, which lead me to this site, indeed you can still see my first ever intro post in the old introductions topic.

Since a quirk of time tabling also meant that was a time when I had literally nothing else to do, was waiting between the end of my masters and start of my PHd I spent literally all of 2006, trying out all the games I could get my hands on, everything from now defunct none entities like the buggy as hell space colony cleaner, to classics like the bavisoft games, Vipgameszone  and esp pinball, which obviously gave me a good background in games.

Sander and Richard asked me to start writing news in 2007, and in 2008, when I proposed cleaning up the db (which at that point was about three years out of date), they gave me permission to do so, and the rest as they say, is history.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-02-12 06:21:18

This post will be about how my journey of games started, and how was I introduced to audio games, and what all games I played till now. It's 545 words :yikes:
I started my journey from Grand Theft Auto when I was a kid. 7 or 8. I saw my neighbors playing a game in which I heard the car sounds, I was interested in car sounds, so I asked them to play, and they allow me as well. Then, I went for Need For Speed, then for Taken 2, and 3.
This is how my audio games journey started
Me and a friend of mine were having a lot of fun, that was in 2016. We were talking a lot one day, then from nowhere he asked me that do you play audio games? I asked what are they, how are they different from anything else, then he told me, they have only audio, no graphics. Then I got one from him, that was A Blind Legend, my first audio game ever. I was liking sooo much, that even in the midst of my classes, I couldn't control myself:). I remember its story, and can't forget for long.
Next one was Kitchen Sink, I used to play that pizza delivery thing, and Trucker. I don't remember others of them.
Then,  I played Top Speed 3 for sometime. Wish they created things like, bumping in people, throwing them by car and etc.
Then he gave me Manamon. That was interesting as well. For one year, I just played demo and demo and nothing else. So after a long time of waiting, somebody gave me some kind of tool, and I registered. I did not knew much about game cracks, but I did that anyway. After completing some of the part, then I realized oh shit that is a crack. I finally got one key, and completed it 3 4 times. Though I spoiled it by watching playthroughs sad
Next VGStorm RPG was Paladin of the Sky. So long maps, an interesting style, I also liked that dragon scroll concept.
Next was an interesting complicated simulator Eurufly. It took a while for me to learn how to take off and land and etc. Guess they did a lot of work on atlas and navigation & well, the entire game.
Next was A Hero's Call. That was fun too, I liked the navigation system, and the story line.
After that, it was Shadow Rine. I liked that concept of Rudallfia, Lake, Volcano, and Forest, I also liked the battling style.
Manamon2. When it was released, I registered on the forum. Though I was not a frequent poster, but I post 1 or 2 messages here everyday. When I started playing it, that story was a lot better than the previous version.
The Killer: naa, deleted in one day after realizing what's happening with it.
Breed Memorial: I was checking the New Releases Room, and I got to know about a breed simulation game. It is my first game which is different from others.
RSGames: Pretty interesting games like Farcle, Uno, Ship Battle, 1000 Miles. I can be found by the name of Himanshu, though I am not active these days.
Playroom: Name is Glacial, but not active these days.

2021-02-12 10:35:28

@7 Yeah, I wish I could try the VIPGAmesZone stuff one day, but sadly they're unavailable.
@8 Yeah, it's a real shame they stopped developing Top Speed. It had so much potential and I might even have played around with the code a little, but I can't code. I wonder if someone could do something with that code?

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-02-12 12:00:34

My sister got our first computer and one day, installed some games on it, even though she was never and isn't a gamer. I guess she got them from someone else who either was blind or was working with blind ids learning how to use a computer. Anyway, at first we had things like Pigeon Panic and drive. I was only six years old but Pigeon Panic was easy enough to figure out, if the thing is in the center, hit the space bar and it makes a happy noise, if you don't it makes a sad noise and eventually the guy tells you that your game is over xd.
I mostly stopped playing games after that, but started again after my Sister stumbled on things like Top speed2 (3 didn't exist at the time), duck hunt, and two german games called Der Tag wird zur Nacht and Mückenjagd. Shortly after that I got my own pc and somehow ended up getting the l works games. Those games happened to have a shortcut link set up to access their website, as many other games did during that time. So from there I was able to download all the other l works games, including the demos for judgement day and Super Liam.
Funny story, when I got the Super Liam demo, I knew there was more content in the full version that I couldn't access, and that at the end of the demo version, you'd get this announcement telling you you had to buy the full game. So I was like "if the game can't tell me that it's over, it must continue!" So I deleted the demo sound file, hoping that if I did, the game would continue on because it had nothing to play. Needless to say it didn't work.
Anyway, from the l works page, I somehow reached the bsc games page, no idea how. I think there was a link to it at one time. There I found all their games like Troopanum, Pipe, etc. And this was the first time where I seriously wanted to find ways to get full versions of games, because most of their games were tryals. It was this time where audio game devs tried really hard to make a living off of selling games to blind people. Hahahahahaha, pretty funny in hindsight.
So from the bsc site, I think there was a link on it somewhere that brought me to audiogames.net. I saw the database for the first time, but originally thought that you couldn't download any of the games because 1000AD was the first entry, and I didn't know what browser games were at the time. But eventually I got how it worked, and proceeded to try every single game from the db. My poor windows xp computer from 2004 or so ended up with over 100 desktop items and a start menu so full of icons it covered half the screen. I could only play offline games back then, because for some random reason I couldn't sign up to any browser games no matter what I tried. It just... didn't let me. And I didn't have enough patience to figure out how muds worked. When I got my second computer in 2010, I was able to register for browser games, play muds, and sign up to Klango and, yes, this forum. God my first posts were horrible. In fact, they were the reason we can't thumb down posts anymore! yayayayayayayayayayayayay!
The rest tells itself. Since I was now part of the forum and could play online games, I moved with the trends most of the time. The bk games, Swamp, RTR, the japanese stuff, crazy party, eurofly... You get the idea.
Now looking back at 12 years of gaming history. Sometimes I wish I'd never started playing the bloody things, especially when looking at my social development. But hey, a bit too late to change the past now I guess.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2021-02-12 12:05:56

Well, first I spent the first 7 of my life playing normal games with my brother, Chicken Cart, NFS Underground/ot persuit, and my uncle had a PS2 which we mostly played Dragon Ball, Boodookai tankaishi etc. Then, when I joined the BlindWelfare, I was introduced to Duck Blaster, then Top Speed 2. At the time I had no idea what it was called aside from, "Blind man game". Eitherways, I was in love with TS, and when I got my first Laptop in 2013, 14, I played that all the time. Then, in 2017, Adel told me about audiogames, and introduced me to VGStorm and STW. But, I was afraid of viruses, and I never
played audiogames for months. It was until I skyped Sam Tupy and asked him, if audiogames had viruses, and he said in most cases no, and his game did not have viruses. Eitherways, I started my first manamon adventure on 17TH November, 2017, which was what? A hundred years after World War 1? Funny. Eitherways, I went into the hospital to do surgery the next day, and I came back a few dys later. I was effectively blind for a few weeks, and well, I loved it. Manamon was the greatest thing at the time, and I legit didn't pay attension to anything, but manamon. And I credit manamon for really helping to improve my hearing, because well, from then until now, I never played audiogames with headphones. Eitherways, that's why I'm so critical of Manamon and why I fancy it over Manamon 2. Its special in that sense.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-02-12 12:25:25

I was introduced to audio games 30 years ago whilst undertaking a course. "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" was written for Dos but I didn't get very far with it. Then, towards the end of that year, a former friend introduced me to games on his Eureka A4 notetaker. Out of the games I played on that machine, "Aliens" was my favourite. I tried a few games on my Voicenote mPower in 2005, but I didn't really enjoy them much as I'm not really into text adventures. 2 of my favourite genres are arcade and space invaders titles. I purchased my first Windows machine in 2007, and shortly afterwards, became aware of the www.whitestick.co.uk site. Like Dark, I had never installed a program before. The first game I tried on that machine was Jim Kitchen's "Battleship", followed by "Spank Her", his version of "Simon" and Aristides Mytaras's "Sonic Invaders". I literally played that game for hours. Then, in 2008, I started purchasing games, my first being "Pacman Talks", shortly followed by both Troopanum titles, "Alien Outback", both of the "Pipe" games, all the Pinball titles, "Super Liam" and "Judgment Day". "Super Deekout", "Bopit ultimate" and "Light Cars" were also 3 games I enjoyed playing at that time. In 2011, I made the move from Windows to Mac and felt lost as there were hardly any Mac titles available. However, I had my first iPhone at that time and was enjoying games for IOS. The first game I played on the Mac was "Change Reaction", when it was released, shortly followed by "Silver Dollar", and then RS Games a few months later. Like a previous poster, I am hardly active on there these days. I also played on the Playroom using Safari, but haven't played over there for around 7 years now. In 2017, I purchased a Windows 10 machine, which I mainly use for gaming, as the Mac is now my preferred platform, but I discovered some games I had missed out on, such as "World of War", "Marina Break", "Screaming Strike" and a lot of Oriel Gomez's Windows titles. I am appreciative that some developers are making their games cross-platform, and even though they don't all appeal to me, I really enjoy the Mac versions of such games as "Beatstar", "Onslaught", "Crime Hunter", "Dark Defender" and "The Great Toy Robbery". I am especially looking forward to the mac version of "Blind Drive", and, hopefully, "Endless Runner". I look at things this way: I have the best of both: I enjoy Windows games on my Windows machine and Mac games on my Mac.

2021-02-12 12:52:54

Hi,
My story is kind of a weird one, actually.
For the longest time I hated, absolutely hated the idea of needing headphones to play games. Consider I grew up around sighted people who were always playing games on their DS's, or their nintendo wii's or whatever else, always with the, often quite unique, music blaring perfectly loud and clear. I wanted more than anything to be like them, to share my gaming experiences and be able to talk with them about them like they always did to me. I was told in, I think it must have been the summer of 2014, about what could only have been audio defence, though it's name was never stated at the time, by a human from my county council who used to always come into my primary school and help me learn braille and things. I just remember hearing about this new zombie shooter that was in beta, getting all excited, then finding out that you needed headphones to play. That, was enough to turn me off completely, a fact I still regret to this day considering what happened to all of the somethin else games.
Fast forward to the middle of 2015, I was introduced to the blindfold games by a fellow student at my school, I had started at NCW by this point. I still had a hatred of playing games with headphones, but I was at least willing to give the concept a try now, this was after I'd failed repeatedly to get into various mainstream games. I remember playing blindfold racer, being generally turned off by it's annoying voiceover, lack of actual car sounds and general dullness. After that I didn't really bother to investigate further, I figured that all audiogames must be like this.
Fast forward again to around September / October 2015, I was told about this site by another small human at my school, potterspotter13 on here. I remember looking at it, I was really curious at this point. I don't remember much, but I do remember seeing a lot of stuff about the passing of Jim Kitchen, and when I looked briefly through the database, I never bothered to look at the forum much, literally all of the games I saw were for PC, which instantly meant they were a no go for me, the only computer I had at this point was a laptop for school use, which was also a non admin system, because of course. Also we were restricted from accessing, like, anything on it's internal HDD, we were still using HDD's in 2015, don't ask, meaning we were almost entirely restricted to using network folders for storage only, which, well, laaaaaaaaaag. So again, I decided audiogames just weren't for me.
Several things happened after this.
First, I received my first laptop, an 11 inch, early 2015 macbook air with a dual core, hyperthreaded, thank god, 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5-5250U, 4 GB ram, and a 128 GB SSD. I didn't actually understand most of this at the time, but I knew that this was a far cry from my old school machine. For the record, that laptop is still rocking! 1 of it's internal speakers broke somehow, still don't know how that happened, and the escape key died when some idiot thought it would be a good idea to spray disinfectant all over the keyboard, but aside from that, the machine runs just as well as it did when it was new, minus the battery, I really need to get that replaced. It's running ubuntu mate now, I don't use it as my primary any more, but it served me faithfully all the way until Christmas 2018 when I got this HP.
Second, somewhere in the middle of 2016, I was introduced to a blind swordsman by another friend of mine, tobias101 / zeus on here. I was listening to him play it on skype and remember being really interested, but y mac was running OS 10 as it was at this point, and I knew not the first thing about disk partitioning, bootcamping was certainly too complicated a process for my 12 year old brain. It wouldn't be until a few months later that I would manage to figure out VMWare fusion and get a windows 7 VM up and running.
Later, much later, in roughly late October / early November 2016, following at least 1 failed mac OS update, a complete reinstall of the OS, etc etc, me and Tobias discovered Chris Wright's youtube channel, or blindgamer95 as he was known then. At that point we were mostly interested in his TTS skits, which we thoroughly enjoyed at the time. This was also around the time we discovered team talk and started hanging around on, mostly, the US server, we spoke to so many different people then, most of which I haven't heard from since. In January 2017 however, we decided to do a lot more poking around. This was how we went on to discover a hole bunch of audiogames. My setup was less than optimal at that point, I was restricted to, mainly, shitty windows XP VM's, anything else just lagged too much for me, and of course VM's will always have issues with audio latency anyway. Tobias had a desktop however, and that was how I started playing so many different games, just borrowing his machine for small stretches of time. Those first few months were, extremely different, and thinking back on it, they were probably some of the happiest times of my life, this was following a quite serious bout of depression I'd been experiencing for the last couple years following my introduction into boarding school.
I don't remember exactly when this happened, but at some point during this period of audiogame experimentation I discovered BK3 It was completely unlike anything I'd ever played before, and after Tobias bought the translation dictionary, he shared it with me, we were naughty children, + I didn't actually get a bank account until June that year.
Later, a good few months later, we discovered redspot and TK. Originally we were obht less than infused, neither of us much liked the idea of playing against other humans online, not much caring for the competitive nature of such things However, a little bit later, Tobias did start playing Redspot, and I, tried, to follow suit.
Remember I mentioned my hatred of playing games with headphones at the beginning of this little essay? Yeah, that was still going strong, I would literally only use headphones if I absolutely had to. For the most part I used a bluetooth speaker, which, I'm pretty sure was actually mono, though in games like BK 3 I didn't actually need stereo for the most part anyway. Redspot though? Yeah, very different story. Also I kept being kicked off by the speedhack detection, and this was back when it used that horrible shrill sound. I was not impressed, and stayed far, far away from it for a long time after that. I had a similar experience with TK, just without the obnoxious sound, it'd already been replaced with a dialog at this point, though the sound it originally used wasn't actually half bad.
Then August 2017 happened. I'd heard a lot about BK3 chaos addition at this point, though I'd never actually been able to find it or get into it. This time, however, I set out to finally get the bloody thing working, and eventually I managed it, eventually finding it on some Japanese audiogame's wiki I'd stumbled across half accidentally and used google translate to translate. This would have been shortly before, or possibly after, I registered to this forum on August 12th. You can still find all of my original posts in the BK3 topic, at the time I literally just registered to ask BK 3 related questions, I never intended to interact with the wider community, not, to my mind at least, having much of a reason to. That kind of fell on it's face and died in September when I rediscovered TK and redspot, but that, + everything that happened there after, is pretty much history at this point.

2021-02-12 13:53:40

@Conner, so that's what the thumbs up 0 was about.

_____

2021-02-12 14:07:02

Nope. Check your last post. *cackle*.

2021-02-12 14:32:16 (edited by George_Gaylord 2021-02-12 14:32:59)

Uh? Uh? You truly are a work of pure satanic evil and dastardly mischief

_____

2021-02-12 15:53:18

well my schoolmate showed me first game, it was survive the wild.
My first game was scrolling battles.
Then, my friend gave me one website, it was called agarchive.net, hmm i went and downloaded some games.
after that, i discovered audiogames.net, then this forum.
I was reading discussions, and also checking new releases. On 2018 i finally registered here.

Yours kindly

2021-02-12 15:58:51

My first audio game was the demo of the first manamon, I honestly don't remember how i got it, then someone at my school gave me bk3, so I played that one all the way threw. I stumbled on this sight a while later, while looking for a multiplayer audio game such as mine craft or fortnight which were popular with sighted people at the time. I didn't look at the forums much until now.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Psalm 23 4

2021-02-12 16:30:55

Wow! I didn't actually think the topic would get that much attention. Interesting stories so far!

In my original post, I forgot to tell you how my story with audiogames continued. So you can see this as my audiogaes story part 2.
But before I get to that:
@10: Wow, that thing with Super Liam made my day.

So, after I first discovered the site, I browsed through the database. Most of the games were for Windows, so I knew I couldn't play them since I only had a PC, with a very openly visible screen. And I didn't want my parents to see me playing audiogames because I tought they'd surely shout at me for "wasting my time with games". So, when I got my first laptop some time later, I was very excited to play some of the games in the database. The first one was Star Trek: Final Conflict. I never figured it out, but it was fun. And then I continued to other games.
Fast forward one or two years and I was already playing online games like Redspot and ... STW. Oh man, when I reflect on my behavior there, I am asshamed of myself. To say it in a straightforward way, I was an immature asshole back then (but I was around 15 back then, so that should explain it).

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-02-12 16:51:06 (edited by Magnus 2021-02-12 16:51:27)

@JulianTheAudiogamer, I never lie, I am a big super big liar. big_smile.
Edit: This sign looks cool.

2021-02-12 21:50:01

@21: Thanks. I came up with it myself.

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-02-14 19:16:25

Oh can't believe I missed this topic!
These are some good stories.
Here is my story:
Let's see. Well, prior to finding audio games, I was into the mainstream video games, back when they were simpler. And perhaps more fun, or maybe it's just because I've outgrown them. Well, maybe "outgrown" is not the right word, because I still go through phases when I just want to play a game and un-stress. And I still have a heart for games, but not as intense was when I was a kid.
You know, there is something about enjoying games in general when you're a kid versus enjoying them when you are an adult. I think we all know that. Games you would find fun and entertaining as a kid, may not be so much as an adult, except for maybe for nostalgic purposes.
anyway, I digress.
My first video game system was a Nintendo 64. I remember it, almost as if it were yesterday, but in fact was 20 years ago. It was my birthday, and I was so excited when I opened the box containing my new console. I'm actually still young, but nostalgia really hits me hard sometimes. I was 5.
Funny story, that N64 console sat there for the longest time because I couldn't figure out, for the life of me, how to make progress through the menus! lol Turns out, all I had to do was press A on the controller. It was the first Pokemon Stadium game that I played as my first electronic game ever.
I had that console for many years, and in fact, I think I still have it around somewhere. I bought over 20 games for that thing. Then, I transitioned over to newer consoles as they came out. I got everything from the Game Cube, original Play Station, Game boy color, Gameboy advance, PS2, and so on, all the way to, most recently, the PS4. But honestly, I think I bought the PS4 more for curiosity's sake than anything else. Interestingly, I never got around to purchasing anything from the Xbox line. Not because I don't like it, but just because I've always just gravitated toward Nintendo and Sony.
Anyway, my video game history can go on for many pages, but suffice it to say, I had great memories, playing video games with sighted friends, and spending long nights, trying to figure out this puzzle and that with just sound.
In parallel, at some point, pretty sure it was when I was maybe 13 or so, I was beginning to learn how to use a computer. In that journey, I remember I stumbled across a fun little audio table tenis game. To this day I can't remember how I found it. But I didn't think of it much at the time as I was just trying a bunch of things to learn about computers.
I would say that my real first audio game was when I was 14. I went to a summer program at my state's school for the blind,, and the housing units where the students stayed had shared computers. I think you guys know where this is going. Yes, each student could only spend so much time on 2 computers. On one of them, they had Grizzly Gulch installed.
At first, I would sit nearby, observing other kids play the game. I was very intrigued to say the least. Keep in mind that at this point, I didn't know really anything about audio games. I noticed a pattern, most of the people playing it were completely blind, as opposed to low vision students.
So, I decided I wanted a turn. I sat in front of the computer, and one of the students taught me how to play!
I was hooked!
One of the guys I met playing Grizzly Gulch came to be a really good friend, and we still keep in contact to this day. But needless to say, that was my first game. I liked the sounds, the interactive play in being able to shoot at NPCs and objects, and the fact that this was all audio. In hindsight, that wasn't really a complex game by any means. But curiosity of the unknown, coupled with the concept that such things as audio games existed for us was very exciting to me.
I remember being disappointed that I couldn't spend more time at that shared computer. I think I even got in trouble a time or two for over-staying my welcome in the computer room. lol
I returned home that summer, excited to learn of other games with the audio-only concept. Someone at the school told me about SoundRTS. So I played and loved it. Then, finally, that's when I discovered it.
I googled "games with only audio" or something like that. When I found the audiogames.net website, you can imagine how excited I was! I saw there were over 70 titles at that time, or maybe more. I tried every single one of them on my semi-decent Windows Vista computer. I know. No one liked Windows Vista, but that's what I had so sue me. lol
I narrowed the list down to a few dozen or so, and I spent many an hour playing those particular games.

Audio games and video games were a big part of my life. Not in the way one would traditionally think, but more because it brought me to know some cool people and to motivate me to learn about the stuff I know now.
I feel like it was an era that contributed to my imagination, to my curiosity, and to my desire to learn. Some may think it's an exaggeration, and it's ok.
The reason I call it an era is because like many good things, it's slipping away ever so slowly. What is slipping away you may ask? Well, perhaps the community, or the games themselves, or my sense of desire to pick up a game and spend hours of fun on it.
I blame nothing and no one, but I'm in a position where I am starting a family, I am in my professional high, and subjecting myself to nostalgia is sometimes a bit too sad.
I can honestly say, as I have done before, that games are embedded in my memory as being fun and very enjoyable. And who knows, maybe I can introduce them to my family at some point, especially my future kids smile!

2021-02-14 22:07:50

I was at school in 5th or 6th grade at Saint Lucy's a Cathlic school for the blind. To get to my math class I walked through an adjoining room which was the computer room.  My principal told me to come over to a computer where there was a guy from Bavisoft there. I think it might have been Jeff but I'm not sure. I know that Bavisoft was located near my school and my house so it's very possable it was him. He showed me Grizzly Gulch and I got to play it instead of going to math. I had to make up my work later but it was worth it. I even convinced my school to let me take the game home and instal it. I did eventually buy a coppy of my own but I like to think I had it before it came out but I'm not sure. My aunt also rought me Shades of Doom, Lone Wolf, and Pacman Talks for my birthday one year. Then I found the form in middle school or high school can't remember when my friend told me about it.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77