2021-01-27 21:21:49 (edited by shiftBacktick 2021-10-29 19:44:18)

You lie prone in your S.E.A., an experimental military watercraft that's fully enclosed. Moments before, you were dropped off in the middle of the Pacific. There's no land for days. It's just you and the sounds of the open sea. Your mission is to test its capabilities.

Spoiler warning

This discussion may contain spoilers. Please be respectful of first-time players. Spoilers are hidden by default on the game page and in its manual. Please expand them at your own pace if you get stuck.

How to play

Dive into the chillest watercraft simulator. The ocean is endless. Listen and relax. Surf the waves. Experiment. It's your sea now.

Controls

S.E.A. supports multiple control schemes for keyboard, mouse, and gamepad that are described in-depth on the game page and in its manual. In general, they are very similar to my other games. For best results, try playing a desktop build with a supported gamepad.

Thanks for playing!

This game was originally developed in 15 days for No Video Jam with the theme "waves". This post celebrates its first major update with many optimizations and improvements. I'm excited to finally share this and future updates with you. There will be more to share soon. Dive in and let me know what you think!

2021-01-27 22:46:29

woo, sounds fun, will give a try right away big_smile

2021-01-27 22:48:01

I don't get it lol. it's just abunch of sounds, i don't hear any ocean sounds or enjan sounds.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-01-27 23:29:42

Oh, this is an interesting thing, i haven't even downloaded it yet, but is it free?

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-01-27 23:31:43

so yeah, after playing for  sometimes, I am using the downloadable version by the way, when I reach the ahem
(spoiler)
cave
(end spoiler)
The sounds would crackle badly to the point it's painful and no longer playable. will be nice if there is more background info about the things that you get, though, such as description.

2021-01-27 23:44:09

I tried playing this but the sounds don't seem to correspond to anything. I get the pseudo-not-really-engine sound when moving forward but that's about it, I spent a few minutes turning/etc but found nothing.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2021-01-28 00:02:42

ah also I just realize that audio crackling also happends on your other games, I think it's my pc's?

2021-01-28 00:18:10

@6 same i'm not sure what that's supposed to be or any of the other sounds. lol

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-01-28 00:57:54

One of his games says it does realtime synthesis and needs a CPU of at least 3GHz. I don't know if this one is the same, though I have tried it on itch a while back. If so, that'll be the issue for a lot of people. Mine handles it fine but mine also runs at 3.9GHz boosting to 4.1 when it needs to.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-01-28 01:10:30

Hi.

Yeah, I get the crackleing too but my pc is bad so I can't play this game.

I'm gone for real :)

2021-01-28 02:55:28 (edited by shiftBacktick 2021-01-28 03:01:06)

Hi folks,

Thanks for checking this out! I admit it's a weird one. I expect it to be polarizing and I absolutely love that about this. We have so many great shooters, platformers, and RPGs here to enjoy. Did anyone really ask for an open-world game with no objectives where all you do is drive a boat? big_smile

I apologize to those who are experiencing issues with performance once the soundscapes get rather dense. The audio is indeed synthesized in real-time and requires a bit from the CPU to sound good. This is a known issue with older hardware. There are a few optimizations I can make in a future update similar to what I did during the soundStrider beta. Mainly, I can add render distance and object limit sliders, and the ability to disable reverb post-processing. I will add this to my roadmap for the next release so more of you can enjoy this. Thanks for your understanding.

Please keep up the feedback as I'll be watching this space.

Cheers!

2021-01-28 05:13:32

I, love, love, love love love this game. It's everything I've ever wanted in a simulation. Well, nearly everything.
The sound design is a bit....weird. I get that your going for a purely synthetic soundscape and for that I applaud you. I was just kind of expecting a bit more in terms of mechanical sounds from the boat. And other sounds from the sea. And sea creatures.
The Doppler in this game is stunning. At times when heading towards a ....something I actually have to take my headphones off for just a brief second sometimes because I feel like I'm actually there.
Also, thank you for an open world game where you can pretty much bump and crash into things at high speed with immunity. It really makes a game like this really, really fun.
There's one thing I'm still trying to figure out! The radar. How on earth does this thing work. I hear a series of descending tones that seem to move... back? I don't know! They clearly mean something though, I just haven't figured it out. Can somebody drop a hint?
And now for some
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
For those who have downloaded this and found a lot of nothing, you have to dive a really long while, 3 minutes on turbo.
Once you do though, you'll see just why I love this game so much.
End spoilers.
With that being said, I've neglected my college assignments long enough. smile
Keep it up!

2021-01-28 05:38:47

How do you dive though? I see forward back and left/right controls which I assume means it's first person movement? That's about all I can figure out though.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2021-01-28 06:46:33

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
It's the same keystroke you use to silence screen reader speech. smile
If you want more of a spoiler, it's either of the control keys. The space bar ascends.

2021-01-28 07:03:46

@12

Thank you so much for your kind words. I will say that I have a roadmap for upcoming releases, and that aquatic creatures are a major part of it. This includes dolphins, gulls, and whales. Ideally weather and time of day effects as well. This will add to the variety of the sounds you hear while boating around. They will sound just as synthesized as everything else. Ideally I'd like to create an entity system so each individual creature has its own unique behavior.

To answer your question about a spoiler, for now you may want to check this reply I made to friend asking the same thing. Hope this helps!

2021-01-28 08:57:31

I just love this game to like a sound straddle! It is very awesome one problem I have this my computer is very old and it is a bit lag lag lagging lag lag lag,! By the way it’s really really awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome!

2021-01-28 09:25:33

I just got a question:
But first the feedback.
I love this game, please do keep it up.
I don't think there was ever an audio game where you could choose to boat around above and under water.
But my question is: how do i know whitch direction i am facing?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-01-28 20:54:30

@17:

There are two ways to check your direction. First you can escape to the game menu and go to the Status screen. There you'll find your direction listed under Heading (for example: "East (zero degrees)"). You may also hear some audio cues while you turn. They are positioned in stereo, with North being a high pitch and South being a low pitch.

This raises an interesting concern that I'd like to explore in a future update: hotkeys. For example, pressing Alt+H could announce your current heading to a screen reader with an aria-live region. I'll add these to my roadmap. Thanks!

2021-01-28 21:55:45

hello and, your game looks promising, fat, i'm using the windows 8, so i think this is not surprising, your game does not run, it is played on the sand, this app can not run on your computer.

2021-01-28 22:33:53

hello friend, I liked this game, I haven't seen a game that casual in a while.

I must make some reservations.

it would be nice to add a mode where you swim in the sea without the boat, exploring the soundscapes.

two

there’s no ocean sound, it would be nice to add one.

a way to explore the sea in first person, without needing a boat.

I loved the game and keep up the great work

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2021-01-30 00:22:18

Oh man the sound when you hit a wall or the floor on turbo, you almost feel bad for it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-01-30 06:29:53

Funny such a relaxing game is named after an exam which causes so much stress to folks in my country lol. Will give it a shot in the morning, keep it up chap.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-01-30 15:45:41

There are still things I don't understand, like what's the difference between the two scans. I would have thought the lower one would be for behind you and the higher would be for in front. Also I don't know why the controls are mislabeled on the page, in case it's deliberate
potential
s
p
o
i
l
e
r

The left stick doesn't turn you. The best I can figure is it's akin to strafing if on foot, or side to side movement. The right stick will turn you though. This is confirmed not only by the directional indicators, but your facing direction in the status menu.

I found it odd that directions were expressed in mathematical terms rather than compass directions. I'm probably not using the correct terminology, so in an attempt to clear things up, basically it's showing north as 90 degrees rather than 0 degrees like you'd see on a compass or heading indicator of an aircraft.

I do love the physics though. How your vehicle has momentum and you can't just reverse and start going right away. If you have a controller, it respects analog input rather than treating it as digital. So when you press lightly, you will hear the sound of the engine. It will be low if not turbo and high on turbo, but either way, the more you press, the faster the burbles become. Same for turning and movement.

When you hit a wall or the floor, you bounce off of it until you just end up losing all your velocity. When you pass by something, you get that doppler effect, but it also works when you pull away from something or climb / dive higher / lower than it. Also, the use of occlusion to denote things that are behind you is - well, I don't want to say brilliant, because it's 2021 and we've had this tech forever, but - at any rate, I'm glad it's being used that way.

I love how you can come to the surface and jump the vehicle out of the water. It sounds so good, and the splash when it hits is satisfying. Can we also talk about the way the sound becomes muffled when you dive and clear when you rise to the surface? That's a hard thing to get right, nevermind the fact that it's synthesized. As a sound designer, I've spent time trying to get that effect just right, and it involves filtering and automation. Sometimes blending two different sounds together, one for the surface layer, and another for the underwater layer.

Also, if you just want to fire it up and chill, it's good for that. Whether you're on the surface or down deep, you'll find interesting harmonies that will make you relax.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-01-30 18:51:43 (edited by shiftBacktick 2021-01-31 02:13:17)

@23:

I apologize about the confusion about the controls listed on the game page and manual. That is indeed a longstanding error because I get left and right confused. I'll get that fixed right away.

I hadn't put much thought into the compass headings. After minimal research I've learned that you're correct and I'd like to adjust that in the next release. Thanks for pointing this out! I'm sure these things happen all the time when pedestrians like me try to make games about things they don't use or understand. big_smile

This weekend I'm working on adding those performance settings, so I'll incorporate both fixes in that update.

Overall I'm very pleased with how much you love the sound design and physics. I spent a lot of time trying to get the little interactions right. Always things to improve. Thanks so much for the nice feedback!

2021-01-30 23:13:32

S.E.A ftw