2021-02-15 18:36:31

You repaired this bug good!, but I can't really give you more info about this one. Only. I clicked create exit, screenreader don't spoke anything, exit don't appeared.
About the ideas, Ok, I will create issues for ideas. First is ready.

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2021-02-15 18:48:47

OK, what would have been good though, is this:

I have a problem when building exits.

I go to the room I want to build the exit from, and I press c. After selecting "Exit" from the menu that pops up, nothing happens.

When I check the command prompt, I get this text:

... Whatever the text is.

That would have told me a lot more: When something goes wrong, there is more often than not a traceback. In this case there wasn't, but there still would have been text in the console, because there would have been SDL warnings. You could have given me those, and that would have at least shown me that you'd bothered to check before posting.

It's all about providing me with enough information to track down the problem. Saying "I can't create an exit" brings up so many questions it's unreal: Can you create rooms? Can you go to different rooms in order to create the exits? Do you get errors printed to your console? Is anything spoken at all? What version of Earwax are you running? What version of Windows? Can you navigate the story menu OK?

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-15 19:09:36

So, where I can put ideas?

2021-02-15 19:10:38

Ok, I will post with this example smile

2021-02-16 13:37:10

I have a question. What we can do with objects at this time, only drop, pick up, and use?

2021-02-16 13:44:20

@78
Submitting ideas as GitHub issues is fine. You were fine. I didn't see the subject of the email I got, so it was my fault, you did the right thing.

@80
Yes, that's about the size of it. I have plans to make it so you can only go through certain exits with certain objects, thus allowing you to make small Frotz-style quests, but I've had lots of other stuff going on in real life, and more important goals in Earwax I need to work on for my own projects.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-16 14:20:24

Chris, you, want, add, keys? Great\!

2021-02-18 13:49:27

@82
With, all, of, the, commas, I, don't, know, what, you're, on, about.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-18 19:47:21

Haha, I mean, you will add keys for doors for example, this is good.

2021-02-19 09:16:20

@84
I doubt it. Doors already have all the hotkeys they need... Enter moves through an exit, there is no way to open and close them, although come to think of it, that is a good idea which I *might* implement.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-19 09:51:06

Hi.
I have read this topic with huge interest.
I don't have much experience with Python, and I haven't tried the virtual invirement yet. I'm afraid to mess things up, but sounds like that's the point of a virtual invirement, that if you do mess things up, then it doesn't matter. So, for this reason, I should just give it a try to see if I can get it up and running.
I have a few questions about Earwax:
1. When playing a world, how do you navigate? Is it like a website, or is it menu based?
2. Can I create a world in other languages than English as long as it's written in characters which Python supports?
3. Can a compiled world be played on other platforms than Windows?
I'm quite excited for this project.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-02-19 13:09:19

@86
Glad you're interested. The story builder was something I put together initially in a weekend, thinking it would be a little bit of fun, but I've actually grown to really like it, and it's grown to be quite a lot bigger than I first imagined.

Yes, you can absolutely make games in whatever language you like, as as long as you set all the messages (shift m I think) to their non-English equivalents, it should be indistinguishable. You can set menu labels and everything.

As for navigation, it's a case of using the up and down arrows to move through categories, then left and right arrows to choose items in the selected categories. Enter activates exits and objects.

If you've been following, you probably know this already, but it's worth reiterating: It is very basic. There is *no* combat, and I've not done anything with exits yet (although I plan to make them somewhat discriminatory). The idea is to eventually have it so you can set up very basic quests, where you can pick objects up, and take them to other objects.

All suggestions welcome of course, although I'm not promising I'll implement them.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-19 13:10:34

@86
Also, sorry, forgot to say: Earwax - and there for the story builder and any built stories - will *probably* work on Linux. It mostly depends on what platforms Synthizer works with, and that now includes Linux I believe.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-19 14:08:47

Chris, you saw my ideas on github?

2021-02-19 15:16:11

Awesome. Thanks a lot for your answers. I'll check it out as soon as I get more time.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-02-19 22:41:02

@90
You're welcome.

@89
Yes, I have. Not really looked into them too much yet though. My laptop is on its last legs, so I've been laptop hunting, plus had an overnight shift last night, so that basically wrote off yesterday and today. I will probably look into it next week, no promises though.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-20 11:49:36

hey people! Can you please, if you can, answer my @71 questions? Thanks a lot, and sorry for going off topic

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2021-02-21 22:59:44

@92
No, precisely because it's off topic.

There's Forum search, or (more importantly) Google for this.

HTH.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-22 09:32:22

Chris, Can you put a change log for earwax story?