2021-02-03 13:14:01

remember with the audio files, i'm sure you should keep them in mp3/wav formats...

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-02-03 14:51:46

@50
Make sure caps lock, scroll lock, and probably number lock are all off.

@49
OK, I've just pushed a possible fix for that. Try updating Earwax and trying again.

@48
Same as above, although I don't think they're related.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-03 14:54:20

Chris, but why rest of selectors are browserlike view?

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2021-02-03 14:58:36 (edited by pates 2021-02-03 15:18:28)

Ok, Can you add builder menu, like this from sbyw? I don't know all of the shortcuts sad
I have next ideas.
1. Sounds inside the game. Object sounds for stepping on the object, static object sound etc.
2. Info if player or builder passes the room.
3. Using objects outside the inventory, using static objects, for example this can simulate simple npc's

2021-02-03 16:17:20

I can translate earwax, if you want.

2021-02-03 16:41:52

@53
Because I reasoned that when you're adding sounds into a story, you've probably already got the path from Reaper's media explorer for example.

The Earwax configuration menu is a dynamically created menu, so it doesn't know what sort of path you're selecting, only that you're selecting a path, so it gives you a menu to select it from.

@54
Yes, I'll add that now, and post back here when it's done.

As an FYI though, you can press shift and slash (question mark on english keyboards) to get a help men. That lists the shortcuts in a round-about fashion.

#1 and #3 on your wish list are already there: focus an object and press shift a.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by #2.

@55
That's a really kind and generous offer, thank you. My problem is, I'm not entirely sure how that would work. I mean the text strings are just hard coded as it stands, and I've no clue how to implement i18n in practise.

I'll definitely bear you in mind though, if I ever do decide to go international.

For now, if you look in the messages menu (m while you're on the room name or description), there's all the story messages your player will ever see, so you can change them to be in whatever language you like. That's at least a way for you to localise your own story.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-03 16:53:01

Chris, In my idea 2 i mean something like. I'm pressing the enter on the room exit, the earwax speak something like the gate opens, this text will be custom of course.
If you will have idea how to add translations, just send me a pm on ag forum.

2021-02-04 10:07:42

@57
OK, you can already do that. So find the exit you want to change, and set the message with the M key, or the sound with the S key.

As an aside, you can configure actions on *most* things. To do that, focus the object, and press Shift + A.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-04 10:33:10

OK, there's a new version of Earwax. There's a bunch of improvements, and I can't remember what most of them are.

Spoiler alert: A combat system is not one of them.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-04 16:45:44

Great, but you will, later add the combat? tongue

2021-02-04 17:39:39

@60
No.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-04 17:53:36

@pates, what you may not realize is the amount of work required to pull off what you want, not to mention the sheer specificity of your request. You want a turn-based combat system. What if I want a realtime feeling to my game? Would Chris have to add that in? How bout somebody who wants their combat to work like Simon? Perhaps he will later add something that allows you to add your custom Python code (that is, if he hasn't done it yet, I haven't messed much with this), but it would be up to you to make your skills and levels and experience and attacks and what have you. There's a reason why there isn't a perfect formula out there for pulling stuff like this off -- mainly because whatever people want is most certainly tailored to their game. Sable is an exception, one which will lose its appeal precisely do to the lack of ability to customize core game features.

2021-02-04 19:09:54

I know, but turnbased is only solution in textbased games. We can't add realtime battles in tools like earwax.

2021-02-04 23:32:51

@62
Haha, thanks.

You can build your story into Python then add extra functionality, or you could code in the extra story elements you wanted, and roll your own version of story builder.

Obviously story builder isn't perfect, but I've got far more important things to be doing outside of coding; spending actual time with my wife where I'm not going "programming is fuuuuuunnnnn!!" being chief among them LOL.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-05 00:40:20

Post 63, that is extremely incorrect.  Very few mechanics are influenced by game genres, and combat is not one of them.

2021-02-05 13:52:30

Yeah, yes. Engine is good, I like it. Sighted people can use it?

2021-02-05 15:32:55

@66
Anyone can use it. Whether or not they'll want to is subjective.

It's built on top of Pyglet though mind, so all the stuff for graphics is there, and Earwax could be extended to work with them, by someone with the inclination and know-how. That person is not me though.

All of that said, audio games aren't the exclusive province of blind players, so yes, any game you make with Earwax doesn't come with a free blind test.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-05 18:28:01

Yeah.@66, how do you expect some one who is not able to see, to work with graphics?
Yeah i get that it's programming and all, and you just code the graphics to work with the game you're working on...
But how is that all going to look?
It might not be too atractive to a sighted person.
And i'd say no for a combatting system in this story builder.
The reason why i say so, is due to the fact that there are a shit tun of combat systems out there.
From the basic ones, well one i am thinking of is where the character has health, the enemy has health, you press an attack button and a random number will tell what happens, to the hard ones where you actually walk around on the map and slay your enemies face to face.
I know you mensioned turn based combat, but how hard could that be to implement when you've got the python code of your story infront of you?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-02-06 09:45:53

@68
I'm glad you agree. I quite like the idea of the story being just that, a story builder. People can make their own damn combat systems.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-06 14:15:43

If anyone knows how to implement the combat system, yes smile

2021-02-12 13:50:11

ok this is unfortunate. I wanted a combat system so badly, but i understand the hardness of this. Good luck to you, and i hope this will be made successfully. i also hope  I can see a combat system in the far future, rofl
also, allow me to go offtopic a little. It is school days. We don't have online classes and i have to go to the school and stay there for 5 days, wich prevents me from learning or practising programming. So can you recommend me a good, accessible and free platform, website or android app that teaches me python from the basics to the top and allows me to practise and relearn what i learned easyly and well, I will be thankful. I will repeet this chrisnorman, I apretiate youir hardwork, good luck to you

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2021-02-12 14:30:23

Ok, some ideas from me tongue.
1. New item type. Disposable. This will destroy the item if this will be throwned or used.
2. Ambience for all rooms.
3. Sound for esc key.
4. Walking around the rooms by using arrow keys.
5. Custom shortcuts.
6. Item descriptions.
7. Change log for the earwax story.
8. Readme and change log options for games created with earwax story.

2021-02-13 22:24:59

I can't create an exit from room to room.

2021-02-15 16:09:46 (edited by chrisnorman7 2021-02-15 16:11:39)

@73
I'm in danger of starting to ignore all of your bug reports and suggestions, because they have no information for me to work on.

This is like ringing the police and saying "Someone robbed me", then putting the phone down and expecting them to solve the crime.

In addition, you demand - rather than ask for - radical changes, with very little explanation of what you want out of a feature, then get pissed when I don't instantly jump to implementing your request.

Seriously, even if you were a little bit polite about the raft of things you wanted done, that might make me a little more predisposed towards doing some of it.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-15 17:08:07

OK, I found the bug with exits, it's fixed now. Update Earwax, and you should be good to go.

-----
I have code on GitHub