2021-01-21 15:40:43

Oh, remember that ordeal we went through with Lucky 13 and the modifiers being on? That's still a thing. It took me like 5 minutes to try to figure out why the hell none of my keypresses did anything. Then I remembered that, and it turns out that my scroll lock was on.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-01-21 17:29:40

@24 yeah, issues do keep things organized. just a small note on how I think it could try at detecting the preference. assuming a user is only expected to use one set of controls and not mix and match, then when user uses a control from one set then game displays that set. when player starts using commands from different set then it switches to that. solves problem of what if player likes to switch between keyboard and controller. game menu text would have to be generated dynamically, that shouldn't cause any major overhead, at least not for these sorts of games.

Also there is no reason why you cant have a comprehensive summary of controls in one nice document as well. I think you should do both, include shortcuts along with corresponding menu items and have a nice control summary document as well! smile

I remember for games I played back when I was sighted that a lot of them that supported both keyboard+mouse as well as controller that it would switch between hints it would give based on what you are using. so this sort of pattern is already pretty mainstream

2021-01-21 18:14:59

@25
That's right, if you look in the source code, I've specifically gone out of my way to make sure it didn't work for you. Then I sent a message to the big guy and told him the same, next time he has a board meeting with fate.

@26
Yeah... I've been having a kind of long term debate with myself about that.

The most obvious (and simple thing) to do would be just to ignore scroll lock. But I feel like that's making assumptions about both the developer, and the gamer. If I'm going to do that, then why not the capslock? Since most people who don't use a screen reader don't care whether they're on or not. Number lock? I feel like that could snowball.

@27
I like the idea of showing the menu for the last used controls actually. I shall work on that.

I'll have to give some thought to generating summary documents, since you can set up actions to be different on every level... Unless I gave them names of course.

Anyways, any further discussion should happen on the issue I just created.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-01-21 18:15:37

So everyone, if you update your Earwax installations, you can now configure both action vibrations (in the same place as actions), and reverb (which now works).

Happy story-building.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-01-21 19:10:55

Yeah, I have thoughts... screaming raging thoughts. Someone should scream at the Pyglet devs unless there's a really good reason why it needs to be that way.

I'll check out the new stuff at some point soon.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-01-23 15:03:37

Hey all,
So I've started work on documentation for the story builder.

Let me know if any of it is incomplete or unclear ETC.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-01-24 19:51:52

When I try to install Earwax, I get 2020.10.10. I just installed with

pip3 install earwax

Even when removing cache, it still gives me that version. How do I get the latest?

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2021-01-24 21:47:42

@32
I buggered the versioning a while ago now. You can try pip3 install -U earwax.

That said, if you're not running windows, you might have difficulties.

The latest version (as of a few days back) is 2025.4.0.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-02 09:52:51

Can I add battle with this tool?
I have this message. WARNING:Untitled World:There is no way to access the first_room (#first_room) room.

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2021-02-02 12:29:17

@34
There is no combat system implemented.

I kind of wanted to make something battle-free, since I figured that anyone wanting combat would rather code their own system, so every fight isn't the same.

Also, you're getting that warning because you have no entrances into the first room. The first room is probably the only room in your story though, so it might not be a problem.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-02 14:00:11

Yes, but I'm only opening the freshly created file. So, what I must do after creating new file?
And, please, add the battle system.

2021-02-02 14:23:03

@36
You need to create more rooms, and link them together with exits.

How would you like a combat system to work? I'm not apposed to adding one, I just want it to be fairly interesting, and of course configurable.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-02 14:37:28

Chris, ok.
I'm creating new file with command.
earwax story new
Next, I'm opening this file with command.
earwax story edit
Next, program gives me this error. What I must do?
About the battle system, I like rpg one. Turnbased, with learnable skills or spells, with levels, experience, equipment, mana, etc.

2021-02-02 17:13:35

@38
Does the editor appear? or does it crash?

About the combat system: You don't want much, do you? tongue

I feel like your outline is quite ambitious, and is probably beyond the purview of what Earwax should offer natively. Absolutely no reason why someone couldn't and shouldn't create a Sable-like tool, but that person ain't going to be me for a good while yet.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-02 18:27:35

K, this is the error.
INFO:earwax.cmd.subcommands.story.edit_story:Attempting to load worl file maw.yaml.                                     
INFO:Untitled World:Created logger.                                                                                     
WARNING:Untitled World:There is no way to access the first_room (#first_room) room.                                     
INFO:Untitled World:Creating <class 'earwax.story.edit_level.EditLevel'>.                                               
UserWarning: Using SDL2 binaries from pysdl2-dll 2.0.14                                                                 
Traceback (most recent call last):                                                                                     
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\runpy.py", line 197, in _run_module_as_main                                       
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,                                                                         
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code                                                 
    exec(code, run_globals)                                                                                             
  File "A:\Program Files\Python39\Scripts\earwax.exe\__main__.py", line 7, in <module>                                 
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\site-packages\earwax\cmd\main.py", line 233, in cmd_main                         
    return args.func(args)                                                                                             
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\site-packages\earwax\cmd\subcommands\story.py", line 300, in edit_story           
    return play_story(args, edit=True)                                                                                 
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\site-packages\earwax\cmd\subcommands\story.py", line 279, in play_story           
    game.run(window, initial_level=ctx.get_main_menu())                                                                 
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\site-packages\earwax\game.py", line 670, in run                                   
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\site-packages\earwax\game.py", line 670, in run                                   
    game.run(window, initial_level=ctx.get_main_menu())                                                                 
    self.finalise_run()                                                                                                 
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\site-packages\earwax\game.py", line 612, in finalise_run                         
    self.dispatch_event('before_run')                                                                                   
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\site-packages\pyglet\event.py", line 408, in dispatch_event                       
    if handler(*args):                                                                                                 
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\site-packages\earwax\story\context.py", line 115, in before_run                   
    self.game.audio_context.panner_strategy = PannerStrategy[                                                           
  File "a:\program files\python39\lib\enum.py", line 355, in __getitem__                                                    return cls._member_map_[name]                                                                                       
KeyError: 'best'

2021-02-02 18:27:55

Chris, I don't think about sablelike tool, but, ok. Please, add simple system. Mana, levels, abilities armory, or lvl. The lvl's are really, really good and if you can't or won't add full rpg combat, add simple exp level battle system with str and def stats, and of course hp big_smile.

2021-02-02 18:49:02

@40
Ah yes, well... that's because I did a recent update and removed the panning strategy your story expects.

Find the line in your YAML file, and just delete it. That should set it back to default.

@41
I will do, if (and only if) I can think up a really good way to do it, that gives everyone a little of what they want. Otherwise I'm simply adding a system that 1 out of 10 people will actually use. Earwax is getting to be a pretty big project, and I'm struggling to maintain the systems I've already got, without adding something that'll only be used by a very small subset of users.

To be clear: you're not asking for something simple. If this was "make sounds that'll play every so often", I'd think about it (am already thinking about it). You're asking me to implement NPC's, implement stats, implement death, implement classes, implement skills, or spells, or whatever. Implement a system that isn't boring. Implement points, or something to make the combat worthwhile.

You get the idea.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-02 20:17:58

Wchich line?
And yes, I know, this isn't easy, but if you can, please add combat system. Simple, or better, just combat system. K?

2021-02-03 10:11:51

Hi, I have next, small idea.
Can you add image displaying? I know, for blind users this isn't useful, but for sighted, this can give us more users.

2021-02-03 12:07:51

@43
Find the line that says:

panner_strategy: best

Change that line to:

panner_strategy: HRTF

You've actually uncovered a few other interesting bugs in the process, so I'm going to fix them now and get out a fix in the next couple of hours or so.

RE your combat system. Just no for now, sorry.

@44
I'd love to include visuals, but I'm totally blind, so A: will never use them, and B: Can't see to even know if the code I'm writing works. Also, that's yet another system to manage, on my own.

I hate to be "that guy", but if you want images or anything else, and I don't have the inclination to implement it, the best way to ensure it makes its way into the engine is to code it yourself and submit a pull request.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-03 12:18:46

K, I can wait for combat. But, will you add coins and merchants?
And, I can translate earwax story to Polish, if you want.

2021-02-03 12:27:06

@43
OK, Earwax version 2026.2.1 should fix some story bugs. In particular setting the wrong panning strategy. Sorry for my oversite.

@46
Again, that's a pretty big thing. You want NPC's implementing, and items which can be bought instead of simply picked up. The answer is no, at least in the short to medium term. Sorry.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-03 12:35:31

Ok, so.
Why I can't select main menu music with normal browse like this from setting the scroll and activate sounds?

2021-02-03 12:36:27

Next thing.
If I want to select press enter sound the program don't respects my enter or esc clicks.

2021-02-03 12:46:19

I can't use arrows in earwax story! Only home and end keys works, but enter don't activate the options!