2021-01-02 00:53:09

For those who don't know, the Fighting fantasy project is a really awesome sight offering gamebooks, that is choice based adventures to play.
These are a bit more statistical and possible to get through or die than the choice of games style, and mostly of the old school D&D fantasy type.
More info Here on the db page

Well, we have a new release, A princess of Zamarra.
This is a short, light hearted, though not exactly commic adventure where you play an orc mercinary, required to take part in a decidedly dastardly plan involving the princess of the books' title.

it's not exactly purely for laughs, but it's still definitely a ripping good adventure, with lots of magic and dwarves and no good orcs, and of course a somewhat damsely princess!

Also, it's just 500 sections, and though not a cakewalk, quite possible to complete (I finished it myself), albeit it has some pretty tough combats in if you take the wrong paths.

Play it Here on the ffproject site, along with a hole bunch of gamebooks, mostly fantasy, but some sf (both funny and scary), some horror, and even some steampunk and historical fiction too.

I'll print the intro text below so people get an idea.

And in the mean time, Enjoy!

A Princess Of Zamarra
by Kieran Coghlan

Background
Zamarra is a chaotic land. Since the scattering of the grand army of Ostragoth the Grim three years ago, his former followers have been forced to make their way in life as best they can. You, like many orcs who fought for Ostragoth, have found your calling as a sellsword to the highest bidder. Sometimes you have been hired to protect caravans or to raid them, to serve wizards or to slay them. Sometimes you have fought alongside your fellow orcs in these endeavours and sometimes against them. It is all the same to you so long as it pays well and gives you an excuse for some bloodshed.

You are camped in the Iron Hills, recovering after a recent battle with some dwarfs when you spy a gryphawk winging its way towards you. The bird drops a rolled-up parchment at your feet then departs with a loud screech. Unfurling the scroll, you see it is an invitation written in Orcish. It addresses you by name, stating that your abilities are well known to the wizard Morgrek. Morgrek has a task of utmost secrecy for you and several other notorious orcs. The invitation asks that you come to a cave in the Lesser Ilkhans in four days’ time where Morgrek will tell you more of what he wishes from you. You scrunch the parchment into a ball and smile. You have heard of this Morgrek though last you knew he was a servant of good so why he wishes to avail of some orcish brutality is a mystery to you. Still, he would not be the first good wizard to turn over a new leaf and the invitation spoke of great rewards if you were to accept. Eager to put your sword arm to devastating effect once more, you gather your things and head out of the hills, heading west to the distant mountains.

Your journey is largely uneventful, bar a tangle with a hill giant and a run-in with an out-of-luck human adventurer. You manage to supplement your provisions by hunting various creatures, devouring them raw and feeling their warm blood slide down your throat. On the fourth day of your journey, you come to the foothills of the imposing mountains, their peaks bathed in the amber light of the setting sun. It does not take you long to find the cave described in the invitation, a great gouge in the mountainside. A rope dangles from an overhanging rock above the tunnel entrance, with an inscription carved in Orcish next to it: ‘Ring the bell.’ Shrugging, you pull on the rope and a clanging noise reverberates from somewhere far down the tunnel. When the echoes have faded, you hear the tread of footsteps coming out of the darkness towards you.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-01-02 01:40:46

wow I didn't even think FFproject was still a thing!

devin

2021-01-02 07:07:00 (edited by Dark 2021-01-02 07:10:55)

Oh yeah, they had a release February of 2020. It takes them a while to code new gamebooks, so you don't get new releases too often, but the quality tends to be pretty good when they do appear.

Princess of Zamarra isn't quite as silly fun as Coglan's King Melchian, or as grim as Kiran Coglan's other title hunger of the wolf, but it's still good fun.

Just remember to add bookmarks and save often with this one, since there are some pretty tough combats if you don't take the right route in some places, albeit there do seem to be several multiple paths to get through.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-01-02 14:08:50

Hell yeah, I'm gonna play that! I love their game books. Thanks Dark

I choose to be happy

2021-01-02 20:53:10

Amusingly enough, there's a short route through the story, or the long route. Basically, heading back to the caravan gets you to the kingdom stuff faster, but the long route gets you more items, knowledge and other bits to find other alternative ways through the kingdom section.

LIke, i can't see myself tkaing anything but the knowledge of proper manors from the beginning, since I don't know how to bypass the Abbot visit. If you dont' have that, you can't talk your way out of seeing him. And uh, if you know one special feature of the monks in this game, that's an instant game over.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2021-01-03 00:34:12

@Vazbol, I am not sure how many alternatives are in the game, since yeah, I chose etiquette too, though also you do need to get friendly with a certain person to have things work out in your favour, since this is one game where combat is usually the wrong choice, although that sort of does go with how the story is if you think about it big_smile.

It's also one  where saving is necessary at points, or at least speeds things up, since while not as impossible as something like hellfire or some of the rwgb games, this one is probably on the harder end, though when you look at it on the site I don't think it's been assigned a difficulty.

2021-01-04 11:39:03

I don't know why, but my favorite gamebook on this site is still Hellfire. It's so rewarding when you finally do everything right, and the time puzzle towards the end is great, because I've never seen something like that in a gamebook.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2021-01-04 17:45:52

I could never figure out Hellfire. I get really, really, really close and then end up dead because oops, some magic item is missing and I didn't remember to grab it when it was mentioned on the offhand in the room description. This does remind me to go and try the game again, though.