2022-07-19 07:06:22 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2022-07-19 07:17:11)

SLJ wrote:

Hi.
I have some questions about the Samsung Galaxy Watch4:
1. Do you turn Talkback on by tripple tabbing with two fingers when you start the watch for the first time?
2. Can you install apps on the watch, and then use them with Talkback, unlike the previous Samsung watches, where you simply couldn't open apps when the screenreader was turned on?

1. Well, When I got this one I got to choose a language and then a region and then I could connect it through my phone and enable talkback from there. I guess the instructions said you had to press with two fingers continuously for about 6 seconds so you could do the watch setup in English but since that did not work, I did have to use google lookout to read the watch and then just tap randomly into things and then the it restarted, I gave it a minute or two, then my phone found it and then I could configure it within the companion app which is really helpful for much of the editing and managing.
2. Yes, you do install these for wear os only from playstore, if you try to sideload via wireless debugging or use others most of them will crash, though if you bought eloquence for android like I did for example you can set that one up by sideloading and it works flawlessly.

also I discovered not too long ago that you can triple tap with 2 fingers but this is disabled by default unless it was not like that during setup... and when you configure that shortcut you can effectively enable and disable talkback or whatever other accessibility service you would need, but all at once. Voice dictation finally worked well here too.
Only kinda annoying thing I think is that if you plan to reply to whatsapp, and most of your contacts use audio voice notes, unless they really bring the feature back to play a message from the android notification bar or to reply to it using voice, it really limits the functionality and usefulness of the whole thing. The keyboard for unlocking with a pin, and especially for text entry is still cumbersome to use but it is doable now that talkback treats the letters and so on as elements at least using g board.
The rest I really like. It really changes the way you interact with your notifications plus you can filter out all of the information you would want from popping up. Its useful when you have your hands full during a call, or when you want to check that your uber arrives without pulling your phone out, or you quickly want to respond to someone in the middle of something.
Lastly, I have showered and exercised with this thing, swam with it the other day, and it rocks. You can even hear it some when it is underwater! of course not much aside from time but that is because i have not tried the swim tracking features but its a really interesting technological piece none the less.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2022-07-19 07:29:20

Awesome. Thanks for your reply. Interesting that there are still issues with enabling Talkback on the setup screen. You are lucky that you didn't hit the wrong language on the screen. Sounds like a cool watch. It's just a shame that Samsung have chosen not to support the Iphones anymore. But it's still cool to read about how the new watches works.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2022-07-20 00:31:24 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2022-07-20 03:04:15)

SLJ wrote:

Awesome. Thanks for your reply. Interesting that there are still issues with enabling Talkback on the setup screen. You are lucky that you didn't hit the wrong language on the screen. Sounds like a cool watch. It's just a shame that Samsung have chosen not to support the Iphones anymore. But it's still cool to read about how the new watches works.

well apparently in my case i had Spanish (my native one) and English available and since Ii am fluent in either one that was no problem at all. Ah, yeah, one last thing though, when you pair it with your phone there will be a code that appears on both of them you have to confirm that. It starts vibrating and then you have to tap yes or no and normally in most of anything yes is to the right and no is to the left so I tapped on yes and then it connected and then turned talkback on from the companion app on the cellphone. It took a while anyway to start up because the watch was pulling and synchronizing absolutely everything. It was funny later on because since I am learning french it spoke and did all in french and there were some things I definitely could not understand so I had to switch my phone to English to just finish the tutorials and all of this. But yeah I am satisfied with this one. The only things I would really want to do (minor whimsical wishes for a perfect watch lol) would probably be: 1. Ability to control media playback when screen is locked or underwater, 2. To be able to separate the accessibility sound volume or channel from the media channel, as right now when my watch pairs to headphones or a bigger loudspeaker talkback comes out through that. My phone does allow me to send the sound of just one app to a paired device and the rest locally which is a really nice thing to have. Maybe there is an app for that or whatever hack on the watch.
And yeah, its always going to be business and competence between these two... in fact, between apple and almost everyone else for that matter.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…