2020-12-16 01:55:43

I wanted to ask a question in the off-topic room and I didn’t know if it would be allowed. Does discussion of routing an android go against any rules on this forum?

2020-12-16 02:20:34

I don't even know anymore, they've got shit so fucking overcomplicated, I don't know.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-16 02:23:02

Far as I know, it doesn't, as google's OS is far more decentralized than Apple's and more over, open source and does not fall under the same scope as jailbreaking, which Apple frowns down upon.  Even that is technically not illegal if memory serves correct, though Apple would like you to think it is so that you don't jailbreak.  Either one may null and  void any warranty on any phone you decide to do either or to.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-12-16 03:17:58 (edited by Quin 2020-12-16 03:18:24)

I don't see why it would be frowned upon, but as @2 said, who knows anymore? Also, it's rooting, not routing smile

2020-12-16 03:26:26

well dictation sucks so yeah

2020-12-16 04:41:56

No, its not against the rules and doesn't violate any license agreements or some such like it does on Apple devices.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-12-22 23:42:46

As a passionate Android user I can say that discussions of rooting sure as hell don't violate any rules. Neither does jailbreaking, really. Apple can reject it all it wants, but the dmca wrote in an exemption that specifically allows jailbreaking, and in most regions it's not illegal. So as long as that doesn't change, we can discuss jailbreaking all we want, who gives a good crap if it hurts Apple's feewings.

2020-12-23 01:37:03 (edited by Ethin 2020-12-23 01:40:13)

@7, yep. And that extends to voice-activated devices, e.g.: the amazon echo and google home. https://www.federalregister.gov/documen … ss-control

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github