2021-01-09 20:24:04

@100 oh okay. sorry, I thought you were one of the authors of lucia.

I just felt yor original post seemed like it might have been written in bad faith and was more inflammatory than constructive. maybe I read too much into it, but perhaps it could have been written a bit more neutrally. I find  your last post much friendlier and constructive.

2021-01-26 17:51:31

Am i being stupid or what?
Can any one please tell me how to update a listener's position with the sound_manager?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-01-26 18:38:38

sound_managername.set_x(x)
sound_managername.set_y(y)
sound_managername.set_z(z)

2021-01-26 22:09:13

I still don't get it...
Should i say pool.play_3d(filename, pool.set_x,pool.set_y,pool.set_z) or is there another way....?
It just doesn't work for me...

best regards

2021-01-26 22:18:13 (edited by Ethin 2021-01-26 22:20:06)

amerikranian is right; you should never reuse an IV/Nonce. There's a particular cryptographic algorithm that builds on top of AES called AES-SIV (and there's a GCM mode based on it called AES-GCM-SIV) that offers some protection if you reuse a nonce/IV, but still, its just not something you do. Its akin to reusing the same encryption key. Sure, the IV is public, but that's no excuse for reusing it. (Hint: if you don't know how to do cryptography properly, do *not* do it at all yourself. Use another library like Cryptography's high-level layer that abstracts all those details away from you. Unless you know what your doing, don't interact with the low-level ciphers themselves, and don't screw around with primitives. If you do that without understanding exactly what your doing, it'll be no one's fault but yours when your encryption gets broken -- and by an amateur cryptanalyst to boot, or someone who's actually malicious out to get you. If you use crypto properly the expert hackers will have quite a time trying to break it, but doing it wrong is just as bad as not using it at all.) I would strongly recommend that the author of this topic go read a book called 'Serious Cryptography'. Its a practical approach to cryptography that goes into great detail about all of this. I'd recommend that very same book to anyone else who is interested. The book is written by one of the authors of the BLAKE2 hash function, and its all factually correct.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-02-04 23:54:19

Hi all,

I've just pushed some major, compatibility breaking sound3d changes. The main things are that play_1d, play_2d, play_3d and play_stationary now return sound_manager_item objects rather than a bogus ID that only complicated things. Second, update_1d, update_2d, update_3d, update_pan, update_volume, and update_pitch have been removed and have instead been replaced with properties on the sound_manager_item object, pitch, volume, x, y, and z. In addition, an update method with the perametor of a vector (x,y,z) can be called if you want to set x, y and Z all at once in one line. Finally, I have added 3 new properties to the sound_manager class itself. hrtf (True or False), max_distance, and facing. Facing is a number, in degrees, which your player is currently facing. max_distance will also control sounds out of earshot automatically not to play, useful for reverbs. This is going to definitely be improved in the future.

With that, Enjoy!

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2021-02-10 17:16:14

ok, This is really, Really, Really broken, Just try doing it in a 3D game with proper turning and good luck getting audio properly updating/working, Mainly for x y z listener position.
set_x, y, z doesn't scene to do anything at all.

2021-02-10 17:20:10

It's not just audio, see posts 96, 100, and 105. I love how the feedback, regardless of its delivery, is being ignored.

2021-02-11 06:58:22

@107, i figured it out yesterday.
You should say for example, player.pool.x=me.x
player.pool.y=me.y
player.pool.z=me.z
Then just play the sounds normaly...

best regards

2021-02-11 16:14:46

ok, It works but something i noticed, This thing doesn't have a first listener for the pool, For example it just plays the sound where you ask it to play it at, But there's no listener place so um, Idk but i am really confused.

2021-02-11 17:24:26

@110
by default listener place is 0, 0, 0. OK? that's the default listener position. you can change it when ever you wan't. but if  you don't set it it iwll bee 0,0,0. hope your confusion is cleared

if you like this post, please thum it up!
if you like to see my projects, feel free to check out my github
if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru
discord: bhanu#7882

2021-02-16 00:48:07

@108, the feedback is definitely not being ignored. However, at this current moment, I am not focusing on the menu or encryption code. I am focusing on getting a decent fish sound pool/manager working with Synthizer. You are free not to use the encryption or menu codes while they aren't up to par with your standards, as that is why the source exists in the way that it does.

Now, as for 109 and 110, yes, you have to update the pool's listener position. You do not play a sound with the listener position in the sound play function. I have no idea why BGT's sound pool did this like this anyway, as there really is no point in having multiple listeners at the same time for a single sound pool. So what you do is something like.
manager.x=me.x
manager.y=me.y
snd=manager.play_2d("sound name.ext",sound.x,sound.y,False)

then, to update the sound,

snd.x=sound.new_x
snd.y=sound.new_y

etc etc. Hope this clears it up.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!

2021-02-16 00:49:03

Also, while I'm thinking about it as an addendum to 108, do you think I should remove the data functions? Because yes, they do teach you to practice rather insecure methods.

2021-03-13 15:37:07

@masonasons
Since I'm not vary good at sound positioning methods, Could you please add a way/tell me a way to let a sound_manager item have ranged x y z? For example like an object that starts from 3 x and ends at 6 x, And starts from 0 y and ends at 4 y, Etc? That would be super useful.

2021-03-20 00:41:11

@114, I plan to add this to the sound_manager class at some point, but I've yet to figure this out myself. smile Sorry to not be of any help.

2021-03-20 13:06:24

@114
What I've done in the past, and it's by no means the best way, is when you're not inside the sound, you have the sound play from the centre of the box. Then, when you enter where the sound is, just make it a normal unpanned sound (using DirectSource in Synthizer parlance). Then you can change it back when you leave the box.

HTH.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-03-20 21:35:24

@116 that was my thought as well.

2021-04-21 08:14:41

For anyone who is interested in progress using the sound3d class, you may want to pull the latest changes to the code.
It should be working as well as I can get it to work right now, removing the chopping when many sounds are playing out of earshot, volume step should be somewhat functional, and I also added a set_sound_storage function to load all sounds from a set path, such as "sounds".

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2021-04-21 09:09:43

thanx for that, i will deffinately pull.

best regards

2021-04-25 15:20:51

Hello,
I'm having a small issue with sound manager. I'm using it for my menu class, but it's not playing any sounds at all. I checked the path to the sound file to make sure it is correct, and it is. However, sound manager produces silence. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2021-04-25 16:02:55 (edited by mohamed 2021-04-25 16:04:22)

Yes, You are doing something wrong, You are asking us what's the problem with you're code without showing it, Were not demons... WE can't see it magicly, Ya know?

2021-04-25 18:57:49

Sound3d imported into both assets:
This is just importing. I've included playing below.
From assets/globals.py:
p = sound3d.sound_manager()
From asses/simple_menu.py:
        self.pool = sound3d.sound_manager()

Then for playing, I just used something like this.
    def playclick(self):
        if not self.clicksound == "":
            self.pool.play_stationary(self.clicksound)
I already made sure that the sounds are going to the correct path, when I initiate the menu.
    ui = simple_menu(wrapping = False,repeat_edge = False,updown = True,leftright = True,homeend = True,clicksound="sounds/UI/move.ogg",entersound="sounds/UI/select.ogg",edgesound = "sounds/UI/edge.ogg")

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-04-25 19:04:37 (edited by mazen 2021-04-25 19:04:51)

Synthizer doesn't support ogg

2021-04-25 20:00:07

and in your pool you should have the boolian that states wether the sound should loop or not, and synthizer doesn't support ogg.

best regards

2021-04-25 20:00:14

Ah, I see. That was my problem. I was using OGG files. Noted. Thanks.

-----
YouTube
GitHub