2020-12-06 20:15:58

Gi's ware is the hidden weapon for level 2.3?

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-12-06 20:43:58

Here are some suggestions. First of all, light attack, medium attack, heavy attack and block. That's all the buttons you really need for melee. You could make throws by simultaneously hitting light and heavy, you can stun an enemy by blocking at just the right time ( similar to a flawless block in MK ). And you could have so many combos with just those.

The rage meter, OK, so rather than one misstep killing it, here is my suggestion. First, I really really don't like the way it is now where you're getting pounded on and you just have to punch reeeeeeal reeeeal slow. That doesn't make sense to me. So here's what I think. After four successive strikes at any speed, the meter will start to fill. Landing more strikes fills the meter more, being struck reduces it. Jumping reduces it by say 30% but won't nullify it necessarily. Blocking strikes will neither cause it to fill nor to drain. Pulling off a counter attack ( by first blocking at just the right time, then taking advantage of their stunned state to launch strikes ) should fill it by 30%. Also, landing a successful throw should increase it as well.

When the meter fills and you're in rage mode, it drains like an hourglass but faster. Launching successful throws, combos, not getting hit and landing counter attacks are all ways to stay in rage mode. Being hit too many times in a short amount of time will drain it very rapidly. Also, using guns in rage mode should make them wildly inaccurate and cause the meter to drain faster. If you launch a throw but it is tekked, you lose some rage, but if you are thrown, it reduces by half.

As for stats, I think any successful combo should yield an increase, even if it's a very very small one. They'll add up over time. In rage mode, successful combos, throws, and counter attacks could multiply the stat gain by a certain amount.

If a player can manage to stay in rage mode for all of the enemies in a level, it's not balanced right. Rage mode should be relative short if you don't work to keep it up, and even then, that should only slow the drain. Unless someone's really damn good, they won't be able to over turn it and start building back up.
I see your kickstarter got smashed within like two days. That's really cool and I'm glad to see that, because this game definitely deserves to be made. I just want to see the melee system match the rest of the dopeness that this game is, and I think that will happen.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-06 23:16:32

SO how do i get the new weapon on 2.3, i don't mean to be rude asking this 2 times but i've bin on this thing for a day lol.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-12-06 23:24:02

@127. I'm not in favour of a light edium heavy system because that kind of complexity is seen mostly in fighting games. Beat em ups really only need one button, maybe two at best... but again, that's just imo. No need for anything other than a basic block, either. Hybrids that try and combine complexity of fighting games and beat em ups are usually more style than substance... and I like your suggestionabout the rage meter, other than te fact that jumping will decrease it. That's franklyunnecessary... and I lso think that a really good player, in point of fact, will be able to keep rage mode activated for the duration of a whole area if they're skilled enough and if the rage system is properly done.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-12-06 23:32:46

Also, ust backed the project. Nice to see the goal's already been met and surpassed!

2020-12-06 23:43:44

Agreed with 129... a three attack system isn't strictly necessary IMO. Maybe two at best, depends what you guys wanna go for. Light and heavy? Also means you can have better control over a combo system.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2020-12-07 00:09:20

You can still do a lot with two buttons. Or even one. It's down to getting creative with it. Like with the space bar, track how long it has been held, that build heavier attacks, a tap is a light attack. A double tap and hold is a jab straight then a kick or something like that as a combo.

I would like to see a block option though. Not only that, but smarter enemies that try other things rather than just standing there and pummeling you or getting pummeled themselves. Make them cagy, hit a few times, then jump over you and turn around and hit some more. If they go for a block option, make it facing dependent, i.e. you can't block a dude on the right by facing left. Holding the block should diminish in effectiveness the more you do it. It's good to catch your breath, but not a way to just stand there and take endless punches. If an attack gets through, your guard is broken and you need to release the block key and press it again.

A way to go for an anti-air would be nice too. Make them fall and be stunned for a short while. I also thought of some close quarters combat stuff, but I don't think that's right for this game, as much as I like slitting throats and choking people out.

There could also be a dash, though more of a short sprint with a cool down by double tapping a direction. Launching an attack while dashing would make it more powerful. Conversely, if you are dashing, and you run straight into an attack, it should hit you harder. The only potential problem I see with that is people who want to be extra careful with their platforming accidentally triggering it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-07 00:27:43

To be honest I am more a fan of the 3 button attack system. I have the feeling that creating combos or different attacks with directional inputs might be better with a multy button system. Sure, you could use one button with different hold times or tapping it multiple times, but I really like the 3 button system together with possible directional inputs for more attack variation.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-12-07 00:28:29

And mabey an upper cut type of thing, mabey control up arrow? or something.

― Frederic Chopin.

2020-12-07 00:32:49

Well, you don't want to source keys from all over the keyboard for things you can use your attack buttons for, but yes, some variant of one of your attack buttons plus up would work. I would also loooooove to see controller / gamepad support as well... here's hoping. Not just that, but with proper rumbles as well when you get hit hard, block a heavy attack or land a damaging blow.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-07 00:33:34

All there really needs is to be one combo. Press space up to four times, and each one is a different attack. The last one, whatever the number of blows is, is always a heavy attack that has blowback or knockdown. Or the attack button in conjunction with the arrow keys. The key is to not overcomplicate it. Final fight had two attacks. A standard combo and a jumping attack. there was also one special move that would clear the screen but also drain a little of your health. That litterally was it... and that formula is still used today. The challenge was with enemies that had different attack patterns and trying to anticipate for all the different moving pieces with a very simple set up of your own. But the right amount of complexity can be good too. But it's quality over quantity, for sure.
As for close combat stuff... I mean, this is close quarters combat. But there would never be a choking mechanic unless it was a stealth section. You can't choke out one guy when there are five others trying to get on your back. lol I do like the idea with slitting throats though, or some sort of well timed instakill. But knives don't even exist in the concept demo.

2020-12-07 00:46:38

If anyone can, I'd recommend trying either Battle Circuit, or Warriors of Fate, from the Capcom Beat Em Up bundle, as these two demonstrate the combo system we're on about, including the mashing the air thing, but once you start hitting, each hit is then timed, it's not four rapid hits at any time, there's a little delay between each one that the game forces, I don't really know how to describe it. So even if you mash, the game will still delay it. It's not about timing the button press, but it's the game that does the timing for you. Also, these two have stereo sound. The fourth hit always acts as a knockback. Although, back then, I don't think there was a rage meter, so if the melee system does get some sort of revamp, I'm wondering how rage will, eventually, be factored in. Cheesewheel idea is also fairly interesting but if you're trying to get to different positions and things, I don't know if you want too many keys especially with an arrow keys for movement setup. YOu can't exactly use up arrow to jump then j k j k j for a combo or whatever.

2020-12-07 01:07:15

Well yes, yu can. Air combos are a thing, just not in beat em ups.My point in stating that things should be simple to start is that this game's combat system needs to get the basics right before experimenting with al the extras that cheeseWheel is talking about. And the reason for the delay timing in those games is, remember, because theyare actual attacks, and each attack takes time to execute because visually, animations take frames. The problem is how to give that kind of similar response purely with audio, without animations. How to time two jabs, a hook, and a spinning kick, for example. And most blind people have never performed that combination in real life let alone do it regularly as part of training so aren't aware of how fast it would realistically be. It's easier just to ave one generic atack, like this game or adventure at C:, that just comes out as fast as you can mash the attack button.

2020-12-07 04:19:33

I feel like having interesting little sub bosses to break up long levels with lots of enemy waves would help things feel less monotonous after you've played the game a bit.

2020-12-07 04:19:35

lol still trying to figure out the best way to do 1.3

2020-12-07 04:21:20

Hi.
In the level 1.3, do the soldiers just endlessly spawn at you, or are you able to kill them all eventually?
Cheers.

2020-12-07 04:50:50

idk

2020-12-07 05:06:57

Hello,
First of all I want to apologize to those who have been sending emails, it appears our smtp server is having issues.
To those wondering if 1.3 does eventually end, yes, it does. You just have to survive long enough. Of course, that's way easier than it sounds...
So @assault freak, @Aaron, @BlindNinja and the cheese wheel.
One of the first things we're going to focus on after the campaign ends is stripping the combat systems down to simple punches, then rebuilding it with at least 3 possible combos.
Just trying to think of a system that would work and make sense in a game like this where your often swarmed on all sides, and you don't often have time to reload your weapon.
I really like what all star batnet did where you had A and b. I figured out that if you were running and held A then really quickly added an opposing arrow, you would jump back a few squares. I got really good at being able to charge enemies that way, though unpredictability of it was what really made it something worth trying.
Not saying that will or won't be our combo system, but that's what Lauren and I initially thought of when improving combos and the melee mechanics in general.
Since you 4 seem to have the most experience in mainstream games, I would really love to sit down with you some time in the future whenever the campaign ends to brainstorm some mechanics that would make sense and be fun and addicting in a game like this. I can already tell you (meaning everyone) that I've seen some players get immense enjoyment out of kicking enemies sending them flying halfway across the screen.
Really passionate about developing this game to it's fullest potential, within reason. At most, I think the combos will be limited to 2 buttons. Adding the arrow keys would do things, although I don't want to get into a system where you have a hole cluster of buttons to memorize. smile
That being said, all of you are more than welcome to continue leaving feedback here. Although we are putting development efforts on pause until the campaign ends, suggestions will be noted down for when the campaign ends and we can get to work.
Best,
The phantom Creations team.

---
Email through the forum is welcome. Twitter: @phCrafting website: www.phantomcrafting.com
---

2020-12-07 05:12:02 (edited by titan_of_war 2020-12-07 05:16:51)

Again, are you gonna add any mor melay weapons like knifes or sords? because there could be abunch of cool combo's availible with though's things.
and explosive stuf like mabey a bomb that wen it explodes abunch of shrapnel or something can come out depending on the environment around it? etc.

― Frederic Chopin.

2020-12-07 06:23:54 (edited by defender 2020-12-07 06:25:02)

@Fantom
Just curious what might be added if you significantly exceed your kickstarter goal, as I notice you don't have any stretch goals.
So aside from just adding those, could you talk about (in a non binding sort of way) what my money might go towards if I back this already backed project?
Even if you say nothing, I'll probably throw a bit in anyway because IMO you deserve to be paid for your time and to at the very least break even on the sound purchases, but it would help me feel more comfortable about putting more in if I knew it was going to improve the game.

2020-12-07 06:37:42

@PhantomCreations I'll join the discussion if there will be a chance! I was growing up playing TONS of brawlers from Capcom plus other fighing games etc. Oh, so great days and even it was around 20 years ago I still remember the fun  and I'm going back to these days just running these games emulated. smile
I'll keep my eye on this for sure as the project looks promising! :-)

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2020-12-07 06:56:07

@PhantomCreations, just dropped you an email as I thought it'd be better to take this off the forum. But definitely willing to sit down and talk about thi, for sure.

2020-12-07 07:34:37

hi. i completed the demo and i have a suggestion. do you have a  plan about adding explosive weapons or flame throwers? also, adding healing drinks or somethings can be awesom.

hi. i am a dark matter miner. yeah, i am setting mines that when something steps on it, it will explode and release huge amount of dark matters. oh sorry... i am a slave miner, i am mining dark matters...

2020-12-07 12:48:13

Definitely have items that can heal you, in a mainstream beat em up you'd just pick them up and get health back, for the most part. So no inventory as such.
If you pick up a knife, the attack button will of course use that. You either: keep that weapon until it breaks, or you're knocked down, or die, whichever happens first. There are other items like barrels which are one use, I don't know if knives can also be thrown or not. When I had a knife, tapping the attack button kept on using it until I was knocked down, so that's the use I definitely know about.

2020-12-07 13:21:15

@defender,
So when we ran out of funding there were a couple options we could have taken.
Option 1. Make the game paid, introduce authentication tokens and servers and databases, doing a bunch of key verification checks and so on. Point being, the more that I specifically thought of to make key registration secure enough, the less convenient it would have been for players to register copies of the game.
Quite honestly, I had way, way better things to do than keep track of anti-piracy measures.
So we went with option 2, which was to set up a campaign where people could choose to support the game if they wanted to. This way, the game was still available to everyone to play and complete. Plus there's the fact that some countries (surprisingly) still don't access to paypal.
As for stretch goals, none have really come to mind. Full voiced cut scenes aren't on the priority list since it doesn't exactly feel like it'd fit in very well in a game like this.
Apart from music and sound effects, (which are pretty expensive in their own right) we were planning on taking the finished story to an editor such that it could be improved and corrected as needed. There's also voice acting for one, maybe up to 3 additional characters you will occasionally get the chance to play as.
One such example would be Alex, after her and her teammates are discovered and she and the team must fight off the soldiers. Still going over the details of that, though we're pretty clear on a vision for that specific scene.
Take care,
The Phantom Creations team.

---
Email through the forum is welcome. Twitter: @phCrafting website: www.phantomcrafting.com
---