2020-11-28 05:20:15

It is November of 2020 and the ogg files issue is still present. And on my new computer it is worse than my mac's bootcamp. I have already heard the roomer to delete web media extensions, that doesn't work. I have written about this topic before, but it is this annoying.
Only file explorer has these issues. But I don't think I could use anything else. Anyone figured anything out since last October when I last wrote about this?

2020-11-28 05:29:12

k-lite

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-11-28 05:30:29

If it's what I think you're talking about, the Web Media removal worked for me. Also yeah, I have K-Lite. Try installing that if it isn't already.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2020-11-28 09:16:55

This bug is horrible and totally unacceptable on Microsoft's end.
The KLight Mega Codec pack fixed it for me too, thankfully, but I had to put up with it for a long time before getting that tip.

2020-11-28 16:24:35

Yup, k-lite is a lifesaver in this case.

2020-11-28 18:34:53

I thought VLC played these, but maybe that is just on Linux. I haven't had to play this format recently.

2020-11-28 19:29:48 (edited by defender 2020-11-28 19:30:21)

VLC plays them, but in Windows, any file operations on .ogg files, particularly many of them at once (including just opening a folder containing them) will often massively slow down or entirely crash the explorer process.  Even external programs like audio editors often have issues browsing and especially opening them.

2020-11-28 20:02:43

oh! so is that what's going on?
I thought my computer was just being a moron!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2020-11-28 20:58:19

yeah, it's completely bullshit coming from a company as big as MS and having lasted this long with such a widely used filetype IMO.

2020-11-28 21:00:51 (edited by stargate 2020-11-28 21:03:52)

I have a friend who was experiencing this until he updated his version of K-Lite.
Are we sure that K-Lite isn't causing this issue in the first place, and updating it is the fix?

I ask because this doesn't seem to be a very common problem at all if you Google it.

2020-11-28 21:13:01 (edited by defender 2020-11-28 21:43:05)

I never installed those codecs before the problem, just had a stock version of windows 10 running on a Dell Latitude business laptop.  Your friend's issue may be different, or just a coincidence where what ever they added to the pack fixed their problem as well, but they didn't have that in before hand.

2020-11-28 21:15:53

@Defender
Yep, makes sense. . I thought I'd ask because I can't believe that this kind of bug would persist in Windows for this long, but here we are.

I agree with you in post 9.

2020-11-28 21:27:14

@7

Thanks. I think that is the dumbest Windows bug I have ever heard of.

2020-11-29 00:01:03

The odd thing is I've never encountered it that I'm aware of.

2020-11-29 00:20:45

Maybe it's like an update which got skipped, or an issue with certain manufacturers or something.

2020-12-04 20:00:38

OK, so I tryed this in any combinations I could, with or without winamp, with total commander or with explorer, or just with plain, vanilla open file dialog. Guess what? the issue doesn't happen.
to those affected, do you use jaws or something else than nvda? maybe narator? I can't replicate this, however much I try, I even tryed with a vm...and...no dice.

2020-12-04 21:38:58

Oh yeah, we're all just making it up for shits and giggles. Because we really have nothing better to do than to make up ridiculous stories about things not working.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-04 22:17:22

Jaws user of Windows 10 here. I have never heard of this problem, and have never experienced it, and I've played plenty of .ogg files over the years.
The absolute worst thing that happens is that it takes an extra second or two to load an .ogg file. That's it.
Windows Media Player doesn't play them by default, doesn't even seem to support them, or didn't last time I checked. I downloaded a codec pack that supports the playing of .ogg files, and I've never looked back.

So frankly I'm wondering if there are other variables at play here. I don't know that it's a Windows issue specifically.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-12-04 22:26:14

Well yeah, @18, if you didn’t download the codec pack it will freeze explorer. Because it fails at reading metadata of the ogg file or something relating to that. So the codec pack fix’s it

2020-12-05 00:14:39 (edited by Ethin 2020-12-05 00:15:05)

That doesn't make any sense though. I've never had this problem, if memory serves. Perhaps MS never fixed it because its a bug that's very difficult to reproduce, or only happens under very specific conditions and on very specific setups? I really don't know

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-12-05 02:04:07

Happened on my stock Dell OEM version of Win 10 after updates.  Maybe an update is getting skipped sometimes?

2020-12-05 06:28:36

Before I downloaded the codec pack, there were no freezes. It would just say that Windows Media Player did not support the file type. That's not a freeze. That's incompatibility. I would just hit "okay", and move on with my day. So no. In my case, I'm afraid not.

This is what I mean when I say it's got to be more than just a Windows 10 issue. Some of you are experiencing it, some of us are not.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-12-05 10:54:27

so here, for some reason right after I install  windows, it gets and sets groov music as the meadia player so I dont actually have windows meadia player, and groov music loads and plays ogg files perfictly

2020-12-13 06:41:47 (edited by Zarvox 2020-12-13 06:49:29)

So awhile back I brought back this topic and ended up deleting my post. Well here I have confirmed it is the same issue, so rewriting it. Sometimes when I browse ogg files in goldwave,, the program crashes. I don't even have to preview. I just load a folder of ogg files, and it will crash. For no reason! I thought at first it was keybase, but nope. I copied a folder over from keybase to my C drive just to make sure. Same thing happens. So did k-lite screw up the explorer dialogue in goldwave? Somehow, goldwave is the only program I have found that does this. And this is well, super annoying because the whole electronic game library, is in ogg format. Along with other sound folders, and music. In fact, most the files I work with are ogg. The size and number of items in the folder is completely irrelevant. It fails to load folders of 3 mono ogg files. SO that gives you an idea of how bad this is. I literally have to task kill the program.
It looks to me like the folders it has visited in the temporary cache, it doesn't freeze on, but of course, that means each time I go into a new folder after restarting my computer, it freezes. Obviously, this is not acceptable.

2020-12-13 06:50:56

I have the same problem on my Boot Camped MacBook Pro, but not on my Dell XPS 15. I'll have to test this when I reinstall Windows on here.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27