2020-11-24 03:14:00 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-11-24 03:15:17)

Hello everyone,
    I know simular suggestions like this have cropped up quite frequently in the past, however I believe more than ever it is more necessary to accomodate betas and small alphas.
My suggestion, create another room for early alpha's and betas, so folks going into that room would generally be more open minded and armed with the lack of overly high expectation that comes with a New Release, either big or small.
    Who is this aimed at?
        The main driver to me at least for this new room is the recent uptick in sighted developers coming on the forums releasing concept demos to attempt to feel the audiogame scene. As it stands now  I don't think neither the New Releases room or Developer's room can facilitate and provide a warm platform for these new developers to post their test projects to gage community input.
            The New Release room has a certain expectation, and folks there  would generally be less welcoming of a new release, even though its labelled as a concept demo. We've seen several examples of this quite recently sadly.
            The issue with the Developer's room is generally I'm pretty sure the average forum user skips it as its generally aimed, well, at developers, and thus projects posted in there would be less likely to be seen by a larger crowd leaving the developers in the cold.
        In addition, smaller projects released by our homegrown talent can also be posted in there.
I hope the moderation team takes the above to consideration, as I do think the Developer's room and New Release rooms aren't generally suitable homes for new concept demos, and if we want to encourage new devs we should make proper provisions and arrangements for them to unvail their demos.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-11-24 03:31:14

Meh, it's fine the way it is.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-11-24 03:49:51

I wonder how true this is though that most users skip the developers room. I would argue many users just check the new topics using the new link and don't care either way.

2020-11-24 03:50:36

I sometimes use that, but most times browse through each room in turn. You do tend to see far less activity in the dev room though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-11-24 05:44:52

For me, I browse through all the topics, but I check all aside from articles, newsroom and the introduction rooms.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-11-24 06:40:49

most people probably do check the dev room, they just don't post because they are not a dev.

2020-12-06 18:35:52

I do agree with JayJay, I think a room for things like demos and betas will be really helpful, in lowering expectations, finding such games so you can support them and to put them more in the spotlight rather than be overshadowed by the full releases of other, larger games.

One of the lead developers of the Final Hour audio game, currently in beta.
https://finalhour.lowerelements.club

2020-12-06 20:03:40

I'm not a dev, but I check the new posts on the dev room like I do on the other rooms. I usually don't post since I'm not a dev so aren't qualified to speak on most of what goes on there.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.