2020-10-20 06:38:25

Bunki Center is happy to share with you, Vast Horizon. This is a science fiction game with a splash of fantasy in that we have a few ground-based boss kills for rewards.

We have familiar activities such as artifact hunting and salvaging with a twist of lemon, to name a couple.

Our story begins with humanity in its second decade of coming above ground to reestablish the race. How well this is done can go in several directions, depending on how the players engage and roleplay.

We have a basic sound pack to get the players started, and are hopeful that it will expand as the game does.

Our staff is small in numbers, with varying degrees of experience ranging from good coders to builders. We hope that you will enjoy this game, if you decide to give it a try.

https://bunkicenter.net/

Any link that you cannot yet access, should be available in short order. We are working to have everything set up and running as smooth as possible by noon central on October 22.

If you have questions prior to that, you may follow us on twitter at BunkiCenter, or ask on the forums.

2020-10-20 16:47:28

Hi.
Is account creation still closed until Thursday?

2020-10-20 17:15:28

yes, it is.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2020-10-20 18:26:38

I will try it. I hope the hosts are not power hungry and if space combat is offered that it is not super easy.

2020-10-20 21:29:05

Eh, like I said in the other topic, I'm skeptical, but I'll give it a fair shake.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-10-21 03:28:11

Moderation:

Until such time that this game's soundpack is altered to not contain stolen assets, we as the staff have elected to ban the discussion and sharing of it from the forum. Discussion of the game is still permitted (provided it isn't discovered to be utilizing illegitimate code or other resources), but the soundpack is off the table for the time being.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2020-10-21 09:15:35 (edited by Dakonna 2020-10-21 09:18:34)

Right then. Please do the same for the sc, Miri, alter aeon, promo, and cr soundpacks as well. That's right, even cr. Because there's so many high quality sounds in there that I've heard in other payed places, i can't believe that some of those sounds weren't stolen. The other packs, hopefully, require no explanation. Also, please notify Dark or another database editor so the links and all mentions to things like the alter soundpack are removed from the game's database entry. Thank you, and good night. Equality for all soundpacks. Equal treatment for all MuDs!

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-10-21 09:32:10

should I mention that alter soundpack uses a lot of videogame musics?

2020-10-21 10:02:20

@7-8:

I swear Jade's already mentioned that in a ton of places before, but agreed, I asked on the other topic while writing up my reply. This sets a precedent about stolen sounds now, good luck proving any of them were stolen though, for all we know the dev could very well have legit bought up libraries.

So I connected and....honestly I swear I've seen the connect screen text somewhere before, about oh this is an uncensored game, hthe staff (thanks for not calling them hosts btw) won't tolerate harrassment or bullying. Kinda  mixed message, and since I've not had my coffee yet I'm struggling to recall where I've seen that before.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-10-21 10:42:23

oh dear lets ban every single sound whether it be a walking sound or a sound of a gun firing on the basis that it's a clone. tut tut this is getting stupid.

2020-10-21 11:51:10

Okay so rereading the connect screen, I'll take back my I thought it was from somewhere post, I'm still gonna give it a shot, but....I wouldn't be shocked if the dev went fuck it, threw their hands up and just didn't have anything to do with this forum again really. Either way, I'm still trying this thing out tomorrow though, but I'm still deeply cynical. That being said, going in with an open mind.

Also on Linux natively

2020-10-21 14:30:45

Dgleks wrote:

Moderation:

Until such time that this game's soundpack is altered to not contain stolen assets, we as the staff have elected to ban the discussion and sharing of it from the forum. Discussion of the game is still permitted (provided it isn't discovered to be utilizing illegitimate code or other resources), but the soundpack is off the table for the time being.

please add a thumbs down button. big_smile

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2020-10-21 14:45:20

Going back over the site, and bearing in mind the whole omg clone space mud argument....I'm just goingto point out ground combat with goblins/dragons/etc is interesting, and out there, if that works well mechanically..then...alright. But how exactly do dragons/goblins/etc fit into the lore. Is it urban space fantasy now or something? I'm genuinely asking how goblins and dragons fit into a scifi one. Yeah I know about scifi that blends magic in, but...

Also on Linux natively

2020-10-21 15:45:57

CR sort of does this, you have a few different races, one of which being dragon. I'm thinking maybe they could say dragons and goblins are all discovered in space or something, although that wouldn't explain those names being used.
Personally I'm advacating for them leaving magic / any other fantacy elements out. It'll most likely just overshaddow the si-fi elements of the game, there by making it less fun. We really don't need another CR. Still, if they manage to do it right, it could be good.

2020-10-21 15:47:50

IIRC it's only ground combat/bos kills for goblins/dragons though

Also on Linux natively

2020-10-21 15:58:01

could still be on a planet besides earth, but yeah, I see what you're saying. I just hope that if they do insist on doing this, that they make it make sense and not be full of plot holes like CR.

2020-10-21 16:00:27

I don't like when themes cross boundaries. It tends to muddy the middle. Think of a venn diagram where you have two ovals that overlap. SciFi on one side, fantasy on the other. In the middle, you have the combination of both. Now, I think it can be done, but much work would have to go into the writing of lore and backstories to make it believable, and it would be better if the more fantastic races came from other planets and so happened to cross paths with the other races of the game.

Without a well-crafted backstory, it's just attempting to mix together two elements that don't really fit with one another.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-10-21 16:01:37

That's what I was saying up there, yeah. How does it fit into the lore though, are they saying oh the alien race in our game setting is really dragons and goblins and dragon riding goblins? I'm just not sure 1. how it'll work. 2. If it'll make sense thematically, I just....don't get how your character gets out of a space ship, kills enemy soldiers and suddenly is face to face with a dragon. That's the point I'd go nope, the setting's kinda gone over there.

Also on Linux natively

2020-10-21 16:09:35 (edited by omer 2020-10-21 16:09:48)

hello
Tracy_20 can you check your pm

2020-10-21 16:14:13

Moderation:
This game will by no means be the only one that is singled out. We're working on a comprehensive response. Be sure that other egregious offenders will also be highlighted and will no longer be supported once we've done what needs doing on this end. I suspect it won't be too long. Please be patient. This game may have been the first, but it will not be the last.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-21 16:19:09 (edited by JaceK 2020-10-21 16:23:24)

@Jade: Start digging for cover when that happens though, I'm predicting  a giant clusterfuck of a reaction. I just feel like it came out of nowhere. If you guys reached out privately to the dev then fair enough, but that should have been stated somewhere. If not it just looks like hey, suddenly this rule is now in efect with no warning or anyrhing though.

Edit: Oh yeah, can that be put somewhere else as well? I feel like this topic is going to go nuclear now however...can you cros post that into the one I started in site/forum fedback to leave this one fre of shit flinging from angry people? I'd rather not derail this one any further.

@Ironcross: It's super hard to do but can be done, if you're uber careful but it's much better suited to a whole other type of game or medium IMO, though..if it can be pulled off with magic/scifi being blended in, then...okay, but if not and it is a jarring mess, then it'll just be an easy to pick apart point

Also on Linux natively

2020-10-21 16:47:26

We'll probably do some sort of official announcement so that it can't be missed. Please don't worry. We know it's going to be turbulent, but that is as much a reflection on a willingness to tolerate piracy as it is on us for actually cracking down on rules.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-21 18:34:34

Hello!

To add to what Jayde has already said here, I feel that some clarification is in order as to why we took such harsh action against this soundpack:

Typically, when a game's sounds are purported to be using illegitimate assets, we look at context when making a decision as to whether or not the discussion and sharing of it should be banned from the forum. We are not lawyers, officers or your parents, and we can't (and won't) stifle your ability to discuss a game simply because it's found to utilize sounds found elsewhere.
The issue arrives when a game contains sounds that were very obviously lifted from somewhere else. In this particular case, I conferred with the creators of the Cosmic Rage soundpack, who confirmed that multiple sounds that were uniquely-crafted for Cosmic Rage had been lifted and used in the creation of the soundpack for Vast Horizon. Some sounds were renamed and used for other purposes; others were shamelessly copied and pasted. Absolutely no credit was given to the Cosmic Rage soundpack creators, who have made it clear that they are not okay with this arrangement. That's not cool, no matter how you look at it.
Look, we're not here to step all over your fun or take away the entertainment that people enjoy. In the  case that multiple games happen to use sounds from the same sound library, we're not going to hound them down to say "Hey, change this or else." We're not interested in validating whether or not everyone is using legitimate copies of sound libraries, and we frankly don't have the time to do so.
But when a game lifts unique and identifiable assets from elsewhere (Crazy Party and the Alter Aeon MUSH-Z soundpack are good examples of this), it becomes a problem. Aside from being illegal in most cases, it's also damaging to our fellow developers who take time designing custom and unique sounds for their games. As someone who has dabbled both in game development and sound design, I can personally tell you that it is extremely discouraging to me when I consider potentially releasing a game, to have to worry about the possibility that someone may decrypt my assets and gleefully copy/paste them into their own project. And while I can't speak for anyone else here, I'd be willing to bet that I'm far from the only person who is put off of releasing games here because of this reason.

TL;DR: We're not here to eliminate anything and everything that bears a resemblance to other games. If you're simply utilizing sounds from sound libraries or genericized assets (think footsteps, bips/beeps, or ambiences), then you're good. If you're taking custom-made sounds from other projects without the developers' consent and throwing them into your own game release, then we have a problem. Really though, it's much more rewarding to utilize unique and original sounds in your projects. I am certain there are many people on the forum who are happy to help out with sound design (some for free), and your playerbase will thank you for the originality later.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2020-10-21 19:21:31

Yeah TBF, if you craft original sounds, you're not gonna wanna see it spread around willy nilly.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-10-21 20:41:01 (edited by Stealthy 2020-10-21 20:42:38)

People may not agree with me and that's ok, but here's what I see about this topic.
New developer signs up.
The moderators step in, invent a new rule which they haven't let the public know about and slam it on this dev.
Also I'm not writing this just to wine but seriously, you mods are starting to throw rules about.
There was no post made about this.
Also, I think rules need to be voted apon, not just pushed in our faces.
I'm really not happy with how this forum is going.
Also, a while back it was said that games with pirated sounds were allowed provided that they were free.
Also, the mods said that they are trying to put their best foot forward, but inventing a new rule with out a vote, or any warning and then imposing it on this one dev, just no.
I am not in favour of piracy however, this was clearly done in favouritism.
No warning, no post, no other dev's moderated about this rule.

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153