2020-10-16 17:12:25

Hello,
Lucas 1853, that it is. Unfortunately a lot of the books have very in depth system option definition in them to the point that it's more like a guidebook for an online game rather than a story, and you have to remind yourself what was the actual story. What I posted though, although sometimes focuses on how the game system works, is for the most part story and character baste.
what is interesting for me in this genre is the progress of an everyday man into a powerhouse, and the intricate way of the character using and sometimes exploiting the limitations the game/world puts on the players.
and while I'm at it, read awaken online by travis bagwell. It was the first book I red in LITRPG genre, and it was a very good start for me.

2020-10-16 18:23:12

If you want litrpg that's not focused on the system, you want Dungeon Crawler Carl.  it's not very big on character development, but is as well-written as pick a mainstream novel.  Unfortunately the first book is now Kindle, not Royal Road.

If you want Litrpg that doesn't have a system at all, the daily grind is about a guy who discovers an infinite office inside his real one, with things like living staplers and decision trees that are actually trees.  Much better than it sounds, but the nerdiest thing I have ever read and decidedly an acquired taste.  you wouldn't expect it to involve domesticated computer monsters, living memetic entities, dragon mecas, and the ability to grow gods in a lab from the description, and yet it does.

Neither are finished, neither are exactly heavy on character development.  But both are well enough written that if litrpg were more mainstream they could probably get traditional publishers.  Problem with most litrpg is that it's terribly written, full of typos, etc.  It's very hard to find polished ones.

To list a few more of these: Delve, which has pacing issues but now he's planning to get an airship.  Wake of the Ravager, which has characterization issues but now he's running a kingdom and can use powers gained from sort-of-extradimensional monsters.

And for something incredibly angsty and long, there's always Worth the Candle, which unfortunately seems to have gone on hiatus or something recently but is, like, I guess the Song of Ice and Fire of litrpg or something, in the sense that it takes and subverts every trope of the genre up to and including the main character being heroic in the first place (he tries, but has still managed to kill probably something on the order of 50000 to 100000 people, reading between the lines, and is just generally a fucked up person. Very much the most adult litrpg out there that I've seen, but not in a cheap way).

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-10-16 20:17:41

thanks dark, I never heard of it before, but I have heard of octavia Buttler's writings. I have gotten intrested in the philosophy of Schopenhower, and I wanted to find some fantasy/sci-fi books that may be bare his influence.

---
"A good ruler gives the goblet to his servants. He never drinks from it himself. The servants need his glory. He does not cary the flame alone.
For a spark does not lit the flame, but the spirit holds it in place. Forgeting that leads one to destruction.
(Enhemodius before the Altar of the Broken)"

2020-10-16 22:18:16

I wander why didn't anyone recommend the malazan book of the fallen series? or, even better, the wheel of time? I am writing from the phone, so can't write so much with this fucked up keyboard, but I guess people who are into those things know what I'm talking about.

2020-10-16 22:31:37

@bgt lover, I did consider recommending the wheel of time, but there's already a long topic about that and about fantasy books so thought I'd hold off on the WoT discussion here too much.

I still need to try thee Stephen Ericson stuff, the webmaster of fantasybookreview.co.uk lists it as one of his favourite series, and since he's also a huge fan of other authors I like like William Horwood that is a good reason.

Actually, anyone looking for something extremely different, which does deel with religious and philosophical questions, as well as being a great, long and complex saga  William Horwood's duncton series, especially the first trilogy aka the duncton chronicles, and even more especially books 2 and 3.

The story involves a society of moles living around Britain. They're limited mostly to the ways moles naturally behave, they mate in spring, live in burrows, eat worms etc, however equally have their own society, religious beliefs, and indeed religious wars, characters with love and hate, loss, triumph and spirituality.

The series deals with both religious faith and religious mania, the natural world, insist, the nature of evil, redenption and damnation, romance, and of course a lot about nature.

it's sort of hard to some up easily, but lets just say along with lord of the Rings it's one of those books I go back to every few years.

Oh, and as a bonus, the moles even write in braille, or at least "scribe", texts in a written language which is felt by touch :d.

Horwood also wrote a sequel series set generations later called the book of silence, which were good and worth reading, but not perhaps as transcendently amazing as books 2 and 3 of the first trilogy.

Indeed, Iv'e considered doing a blog reread of Duncton, chapter by chapter with commentary.

Oh and Wing of Iturnity, I wouldn't say they're close to Schopenhauer, but worth reading nonetheless.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-10-16 22:55:40

another one you guys might be interested in is also one of my favourites, somewhere in the fifth place, I'm talking about a brave new world by Aldous Huxley. yeah, it's not sf or dark fantesy, instead, it's...dk how to call this kind of books...an eutopia novel? anyway, what I like the most is both the way he layed out the action and built the characters, as well as the more deep and philosophical aspects of the work, like what does that eutopic world really mean at a deeper level? maybe what it appears to, just fiction? maybe, more likely, it can be interpreted as a symbol for the ignorance of most humans, the inability or unwillingness to step and see beyond the safety of their confort zone, waring ignorance like a cloke to hide them from the real world? you see, this book is interesting in more ways than one, that's why it comes just after laundry files in my list.
p.s. Once I finish this message, I'll probably break my screen from frustration, I hate this horid keyboard, I really aught to install gboard, this swiftkey is crap.

2020-10-16 23:07:24

Thing about Malazn is either you love it or you hate it but I have yet to find someone with an opinion in between.  Being as I haven't recommended it, you can probably guess what camp I'm in there.

Not sure how Jemisin's recent work hasn't come up: The Fifth Season and sequels are very good speculative fiction.  Whether it counts as sci-fi or fantasy is up to you: on the one hand it has magic, but on the other they're after the end of highly technical magic-using civilizations.

My Blog

2020-10-16 23:27:11

I'll tell you why the Fifth Season didn't come up. One reason, and one only. I forgot.
That was an amazing book though, and I'm going to read the second one soon. Add it to my list from my first post in this thread. It's an excellent blend of fantasy and soft sci-fi, with strong characters, a good plot, tight writing and some really excellent philosophical points. An adult book though; if you want to read something that will be all squeamish about sex and gender and the like, you won't find it here. Jemisin just plunks this sort of thing into her fiction with no fuss or fanfare, which is enormously refreshing even though I'm a cis-het white dude.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-17 00:18:23

@33
Huh, I actually entirely forgot they even had a gay character.  It's very much not central to the plot; by the end of the second one they have much bigger problems.

It's a shame the city we became was meh. Not sure how they can do something as good as those, then follow it up with something that I just gave up on near the beginning, but eh.

My Blog

2020-10-17 00:26:06

Tonkee, or whatever her name is, presents as female, but has biologically male sexual equipment. It's just sort of dropped in when Tonkee is washing herself or something. No fanfare, never an issue made of it. It's just something that happens. God, if only.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-17 01:21:20

@35
O right, trans, I think.  Yeah.  It's been a while since I've read them.  Unfortunately, among many other things, The City We Became definitely makes a thing of it.

My Blog

2020-10-17 17:20:30

@BGT Lover, yeah, read Huxley quite a few years ago, it was interesting to compare with Orwell's 1984, indeed I've seen those two along with handmaid's tale called the three great dystopias.

Huxley was an interesting idea philosophically, though slightly dated in some scientific and social ideas, EG the importance of sleep teaching.
Orwell's is more shocking and though he was probably wrong about the consequences of surveillance, look around society today and you'll find some really frightening examples of double think (there are some very scary ones around Donald Trump).

Obviously Atwood is different again, being more character focused, and focused on a dystopea which specifically exacerbates the more horrible social and religious extreme opression and control of women and reproduction, as well as a more general social totalitarianism.

All three are worth reading imho, though Huxley's is probably the most entertaining as a novel, while the other two are just plane grim.

@Camlorn, Ericson, as I said, I probably need to try. I have heard if people get through the first book, the rest of the series is okay, but the first book can be a bit slow and incomprehensible.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)