2020-09-29 20:44:42

It is basically an ASCII Warsim/Dwarf Fortress-esque grand strategy type of a game, it can be played based on the description via Windows/Linux/Mac console/terminal, as it says in the description - "The game is entirely console based and can be run on GNU/Linux, Windows (Cygwin), and OS X. The game can also be run remotely and connected to from the browser with Shell In A Box (a SSH client and terminal emulator for your browser).", here is the official link to it with the entire description of the game - https://arcanefortune.com/ , the official reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/BaseBuildingGa … at_a_time/

The game is absolutely free and open source, if any of you guys want/if you find this game relatively accessible, I may contact the developer via reddit, if anyone finds this interesting, that is :smile:

2020-09-29 23:10:13

This looks really cool. I grabbed it and will begin exploring. The cursor movement system is a little weird, but I appreciate that info on each tile is displayed and updates as I move. I just hope it won't put off people who aren't used to rogue like games.

2020-09-29 23:15:47

Actually… I'm afraid this suffers from a similar problem as Cataclysm on Windows. That is, the console version doesn't use the actual Windows console, it uses an emulator, which doesn't appear to be accessible.

The Mac OS and Linux versions work better, but this is still disheartening.

2020-09-29 23:26:15

on windows this doesn't look usable again.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2020-09-29 23:51:29

I've asked if the author could possibly make a true Windows console version.

The Mac and Linux versions are fine, of course, but that's really hard for most people to use.

2020-09-30 00:47:34

i could if only i could set up a normaly working virtual linux, i always wanted to play CDDA for example. But for a few games it is not worth it to switch OS'S i think.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2020-09-30 01:17:51

Civ type game. In a terminal?

I'm in. I'm totally and utterly in, yes please. Works great here on Linux

@5: CDDA is...?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-09-30 01:29:18

JaceK,

Cataclysm, Dark Days Ahead. It's an open world zombie survival rogue like. I haven't really played it much this past year or so but then again I haven't had Linux on my machine either, I should remedy that.

2020-09-30 01:42:27

JaceK wrote:

Civ type game. In a terminal?

I'm in. I'm totally and utterly in, yes please. Works great here on Linux

@5: CDDA is...?

@JaceK , If you are on Linux and interested in Cataclysm, feel free to check this thread of mine which gives a proper and vivid description of Cataclysm :smile: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/3605 … iscussion/

2020-09-30 01:48:47 (edited by queenslight 2020-09-30 01:50:56)

This game works best if using Windows 32-Bit, not 64-bit.
Sadly, mine's 64-bit.

If you attempt playing, use the
arcane_fortune_windows_pdcurses.bat
file, not the first one.

NVDA will "kind of work?" if using ObjPad and set to "screen review" mode, but it's trial and error there.

Yep? Definitely get a linux VM/bare metal machine as an addition to your Windows way of lifestyle.

2020-09-30 02:05:20

Hey,

I haven't yet had a chance to check these directions myself, but the original author of the game offered some ideas.

So, I looked a bit further into getting Arcane Fortune playable under cmd.exe and I think this could work for you (at least it did on Windows 7 for me):
I opened cmd.exe
Right clicked the top of the window and chose "Properties".
I set the font size to 8x12 in the Font tab, then I set the window size and height in the "Layout" tab to 150 for the width and 76 for the height. The exact amount doesn't matter too much, but much less than those amounts can cause the game to crash. You can't change these preferences once the game is launched.
I "cd" into the directory where I have the game and then further "cd" into the "game" sub directory.
Then I run "arcane_fortune_windows_pdcurses.exe"
Then I select start a new game.
I then went to the menu, selected "Preferences" and then selected "Use only 8 colors". Via the keyboard you can simply press the following letters in sequence "m", "p", "u".
Are you able to access color information with your screen reader? The keys you can press in the game are indicated by coloring individual letters blue and you'd have to memorize a lot if you're planning to play only with the keyboard. Maybe there's a better way I can do that if it's an issue?
Another setting you might find useful is to set the underlay mode to "Water & mountains only". Via the keyboard you can simply press the sequence "m", "v", "o". Although I'm not sure if it'll matter or not for increasing accessibility.

2020-09-30 02:08:26

queenslight wrote:

This game works best if using Windows 32-Bit, not 64-bit.
Sadly, mine's 64-bit.

If you attempt playing, use the
arcane_fortune_windows_pdcurses.bat
file, not the first one.

NVDA will "kind of work?" if using ObjPad and set to "screen review" mode, but it's trial and error there.

Yep? Definitely get a linux VM/bare metal machine as an addition to your Windows way of lifestyle.

Seems like this is the wisest decision, might as well go a wee bit off-topic and ask @zkline and @SLJ regarding vmware workstation/fusion , others may be interested in the fact that I've heard very good things about it and it's accessibility both on Windows and Mac despite it being a virtual machine - I believe that this is the most accessible Linux virtual machine and works very well with Linux screen readers such as SpeakUp and Orca, is that correct?

2020-09-30 15:56:58

Having got into this more, I like it. It's very much Civ like. I just turn on auto zoning and planning, and do the big stuff, admittedly that's my strategy in Civ games too. I'm a bit lost with the tech tree however though...

Also on Linux natively

2020-10-01 12:44:11

IS it possible to play this with linux subsystem perhaps?

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2020-10-01 12:46:21

So, going a bit OT here....but which LinuX TTY is best for this, screenreader wise?

Also on Linux natively

2020-10-01 15:41:08

It's definitely possible to play this with WSL, I've just not bothered to do it yet. smile

JaceK, I always had the most success with a regular framebuffer in text mode with Speakup. I never liked how the GUI handled terminals, at least with screen readers.

2020-10-01 16:42:53

Hi,
I do hope there will be a regular/console windows version. I am on windows 7, 64 bit.

2020-10-01 17:20:20

@ZKlein:

How would I do that with espeakup?

Also on Linux natively

2020-10-01 17:48:49

i use windows 10 64 bit, but for me when i started the game it is so confused. Is it possible to developer make some changes in purpose to be more accessible

2020-10-03 20:50:39

Hi,

I'm the developer of Arcane Fortune and am interested in learning more about what would make this game accessible. I have (many) questions that maybe you all would be willing to help me with. I think having a better understanding of all this will help me improve the game's accessbility and also avoid introducing new features in the future that may not be accessible.

Firstly, though, to attempt to clarify some of what's been said in this thread, I want to say:
The game already supports the Windows console--see the directions below. Further, I haven't released a 32 bit version of this game. I have only supplied 64 bit binaries on all platforms (so I'm not sure why people are saying that only a 32 bit version is provided haha).

Here's how you can launch in the Windows console (that is, from cmd.exe) -- zkline already posted this earlier, but I'm reposting it with a few more steps to hopefully make it more clear:
1. Open cmd.exe
2. Right click the top of the window and choose "Properties".
3. I set the font size to 7x12 in the Font tab, then I set the window size and height in the "Layout" tab to 181 for the width and 76 for the height. The exact amount doesn't matter too much, but much less than those amounts can cause the game to crash. You can't change these preferences once the game is launched.
4. "cd" into the directory where you downloaded and unzipped the game.
5. "cd" into the "game" subdirectory.
6. Run "arcane_fortune_windows_pdcurses.exe"
7. Select start a new game
8. Configure the game to show only 8 colors--via the keyboard you can press the following letters in sequence "m", "p", "u". That sequence will open the menu which is on the top of the screen, then it opens the "Preferences" menu and then it selects the "Use only 8 colors" option.

I'll post my own questions in a post following this one, because they've grown to be a lot, hopefully not overwhelmingly so.

2020-10-03 20:54:41

My questions are in this post. Let me describe some assumptions I'm making from attempting to look into this a little on my own. I knew nearly nothing about non-visual accessibility until a few days ago and I still know very little. Please correct me if any are wrong (apparently on the internet, one of the fastest ways to learn is to post incorrect statements and have other people correct you hahaha):

-Many or all of you are using a braille display. It is shows one line at a time and the text cursor is presented to you as dots that oscillate up and down.
-You have a scroll wheel on the braille display. This lets you select the line above or below the line it's currently displaying? How do you scroll side to side? Is this exclusively how you select what it displays or are there different modes as to how it decides what to present on the braille display? Which mode would you use for my game?
-I read elsewhere that there is significance to where console games place the text mode cursor, particularly with menu selections. Is this correct? I suppose this is related to the point above about how the braille display decides what text to present.
-You use the keyboard exclusively (or almost exclusively) and do not use the mouse.

Here are more questions I have:

-Is it easy for you to set the braille reader to "jump" to a specific part of the screen? For example, some bits of information in the game is always presented at the same place (like at the far right of the screen or the (roughly) center of the bottom for what type of land your text cursor is on) and if you have the ability to quickly jump to it somehow, that'd make playing a whole lot easier.

-JaceK: if you don't mind sharing, what Linux screen reading software are you using to access the game (and are there any particular settings you needed when you played the game)? Maybe I can try to replicate the setup you've had most success with and go from there in figuring out what's wrong with the tech tree for you and other issues you might have, if you're interested, that is. (Also it sounds like you've played Civilization -- can I ask how? I would've guessed that game would be completely inaccessible!)

-Is NVDA the preferred Windows screen reader? Should I attempt to get the game working with that one on Windows or focus on something else?

-Do you know of any gameplay videos of people playing games like this? (Maybe one like Stone Soup which someone already mentioned to me as being accessible on Windows).

Also, if anyone has any specific suggestions about what could make the game more accessible, I'm all ears.

I should note: for a text based game, the Arcane Fortune currently uses a ton of color to represent information -- but a lot of that I can fix in the future and a substantial amount of it is already written in text somewhere on the screen (mostly near the bottom portion).

Best,
Darin

(By the way, I downloaded NVDA and briefly attempted to use it -- I was so lost even trying to use the Windows console even before I started my game haha. Hats off to you all. I don't know how you manage to browse, much less play games, but it's massively impressive!)

2020-10-03 22:56:21

Darin,

Good to see you here. smile

I'm BlindGuyNW on Reddit, in case you wondered. Anyway, I'm happy to answer some of these questions.

A Braille display isn't essential for playing this, or any other rogue-like/text-based game, it just makes the process easier. A bit of background wouldn't go amiss here, I hope this helps answer your questions as well.

When I use a Windows console window to play a rogue like game, the thing which makes it useable at all is that the terminal cursor always focuses on the location of the player character/@ sign. In turn, the screen reader review cursor, which is an entirely separate thing, starts there. It's therefore mostly straight-forward to move the review cursor around and get a sense of what's nearby because I always have a solid reference point.

This holds true for the console (Speakup) screen reader on LINux, and Jaws for Windows. NVDA has a slight issue which I will explain if I can. It's an internal problem and I've never really found a satisfactory solution.

NVDA's review cursor behaves badly in Windows console windows because it doesn't understand columns. That is, if you had the following map display…

----
|.@..|
|....|
----

NVDA's review cursor would let you start at the @ sign but if you moved downwards, you'd end up looking at the vertical bar on the far left, not the period immediately below.

Jaws and Speakup don't have this problem.

I apologize if this takes us a bit far from the point, but it's been a continuous source of frustration for me for years, and hard to explain.

2020-10-03 23:04:03

To your other questions… smile

It's possible to review the entire screen one line or word at a time, but less straight-forward to review specific sections on demand. JAWS is more powerful in that respect but also quite a bit more complicated, and expensive. Speakup and NVDA are free and open source.

One thing which is easier with any Windows screen reader is command-line style interaction, such as with MUDS or the 1OOM Project. I don't know how suitable your game is to that kind of thing, but it might help minimize the frustrations that come from dealing with the different screen navigation issues.

Incidentally, the reason that Dwarf Fortress, among other games, isn't very easy for me to play is that they refuse to put the text cursor in a sensible place, even in ncurses mode. It therefore becomes hard to figure out what's around me, where I can build, etc.

I hope this helps clarify things at least a little for you. smile

2020-10-03 23:37:17

Thanks zkline -- this is very helpful. I think I see what you mean with the NVDA issue you described.

I don't think command-style interactions would be too feasible with my game, but maybe I could do the following with the text cursor to make it easier:

-Have the game move the text cursor to the active menu item, if any.
-If you don't have the menu open, the text cursor will be on the map (as it is now), but I could add a keyboard shortcut to have the game move the text cursor to either the right side of the screen (where things like your money and the game year are printed in text) or the bottom of the screen (where the map tile you're on is described in text, such as the land type or building or unit descriptions). Then I could add a keyboard shortcut to tab through the relevant lines of text on those parts of the screen.

Aside from fixing the color issues, maybe that alone would be worthwhile to do?

Are there any good ways to represent graphs such as gold vs time? It's not entirely necessary to see the plots but it can be useful.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the best way to show the map. Each tile can be land or water. If it's land, it also has an arability value indicating how habitable it is. I could represent arability by showing it as number between 0 and 9 and have the water be something like the % symbol. But I am worried if this would be too overwhelming -- the most important thing is knowing if it's land or water. Perhaps it's easier to have a space be land and the % symbol be water so it stands out more? (The arability values, are always printed in text at the bottom so one could look that up if needed) I don't know if I'm describing this clearly or not...

2020-10-04 00:27:08

Hi,
I also use NVDA. I would honestly prefer a mode with no ascii at all. When I think of a text-based game, I think of text as words and numbers. Ascii just confuses me as a screen reader user. On iOS, the accessibility of A Dark Room got past this quite interestingly. It'd say something like, "outpost, 2 south, 1 west", if you then went south once it'd say "outpost 2 south, 1 west". Another way is to use coordinates, both for the player and objects around them.