2020-09-29 23:59:51 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2023-07-10 22:26:53)

The King Of Fighters 97

Hey, everyone! Its a new week, which means that its time for a new game! Today, I'm trying to fight my way through the king of fighters 97.

Its been a busy last few days, with hardly a second to rest between an uninterrupted recording session and editting, but i finally have a few minutes to myself, so i present you with my best attempt at King Of Fighters 97. First of all, I was a capcom kid growing up, and probably the only snk game I played during their prime in the 90s was samurai shodown on the snes. Thus, I didnt get to play any of the king of fighters games until someone gave me a copy of kof99 on the sega dreamcast, and man did the game's boss give me a headache! My experience with the series after that was relegated to the ex spin-offs that came out for the gameboy advance in the early 2000s and kof 2002 and 2003 on the xbox. It was not until much later when I got the king of fighters collection for the psp did I get to play any of the games before 99, and it was really something special to see how the games evolved with each new entry before snk fell and was revived by playmore. Another deckade later, and people ar still playing those old games from over 20 years ago online with each other.

This is a testament to the quality of the games, that it has withstood the test of time all these years later, with kof 97 and 98 being the best in the series that decade has to offer. Today, you can still purchase kof 97 on the pc and ps4, who's version is cross buy and cross play with the vita version. You can still find people to play against online, and the game uses rollback net code. At first I was hesitant to get this game because I already had it in the collection. However, i did not know that you could play in single matches until i watched someone do just that. When I finally bought the game and saw that it had more than one single player mode, online play, its own set of unlockables and a trophy list, i did not regret my purchase, and now kof 97 is one of the games i fire up frequently when i have a few minutes to kill. It doesn't have a training mode, but that doesn't bother me because you can train in all of the games within kof collection. If that one interests you as well, you can buy it on the ps4, and i heard that that version lets you switch between the neo geo and arranged soundtracks. In the demo below, ull give myself 3 credits to make it as far as i can in single matches within kof97, with iori as my character of choice. How far will I get?

Click here to find out!

I hope you guys enjoy this week's game. This week also marks a significant milestone  since we now have over 3 hours of audio mainstreaming demo content, so if you're new to the Kenshira plays thread, feel free to go and check out those prior recordings, which should be up. That's it for this week. Tune in again next week, when we'll be stepping away from the violence once more. Until next time!

2020-09-30 07:08:55

someone who's more interested in this kinda stuff than me better be archiving these just encase something happens to them, I've seen too many series lost.

2020-09-30 08:22:08

I thought about compiling them all into a folder along with the writeups for each game once I got a good number of these going and it takes up too much space, but yeah, by all means,, feel free to make backups in case I fall off the face of cyber space or something.

2020-09-30 12:28:36

Is the kof collection available both on the ps4 and psp?

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-09-30 14:09:37

Iori's laugh just never gets old.

2020-09-30 16:00:28

@54 yes, and the ps4 version is the ps2 classics version.

@55 i agree.

2020-10-05 11:16:12 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2023-07-10 22:30:55)

F1 Race, Side Pocket, Radar Mission

Hi, everyone! Its a new week, which means that it's time for a new game! Today, we are taking a look at a few of my gameboy favorites on this special triple feature funday!

Since the premise of each of these titles are simple and easy to pick up and play, i thought it would be fun to lump together 3 games of very different genres that i have yet to cover in this series. When recording demos for each of these games, I felt like it was very easy to capture the essence of the games in a short of time, so i decided to combine today's games into a single episode, with a paragraph or two writeup for each game. Thankfully, that still leaves me with plenty of material to cover in the future, and special features like these will be rare, if and when they happen again. With that said, i presents you with today's games, which are f1 race, side pocket, and radar mission, all for the original gameboy.

I didnt have a gameboy for much of my early years as a kid, only borrowed one off a friend a few times until i finally got one in my highschool years. After that, you can bet that I brought it with me everywhere and played it as often as i could, whether on bus rides to and from school  occasionally during breaks and classes, and especially at home. I didn't even get into the pokemon craze until late into my junior year because for a while I wanted to fit in with this girl who thought the characters were cute but the story left much to be desired, but then I tried it out for myself and realized that I was an idiot for letting others form my opinion for me because, you know? Battling, trading, and training to be the best there ever was turned out to be pretty fun after all. These games came far before that time, though, and they were pretty fun as well.

Some time during my second year of high school year, I heard that one of my mates was looking to get rid of one of his games, and I was interested and had money. However, he refused to sell it to me. A few days later it was my 16th birthday, and I had a whole bunch of my friends at the house with me. Early on that day, my mate walks up to me and hands me a gameboy cartridge. It was f1 race, the same game that he refused to sell me before, and my favorite gamevoy racer to date. I spent many hours after that day going over each track and crashing into each turn as i worked to memorize the layout of each course and claw my way up the grand prix.

Out of the games in this episode, this one is the most playable for several reasons. First, you cannot get turned around and there are no alternate paths so that races are pretty linear. Second, you can hear when you're scraping up against the edge of the track. Finally, if you mash left and right while driving, you will hear your tires squeal in the appropriate direction to turn whenever a turn appears. With that in mind  all thats left to do is memorize each track and race it as best as you can until you come in first, and the game has different end of lap music depending on where you place. There are 3 modes of play here, and the game keeps a save record of your progress in each. In the first part of the demo, i will do a time trial race with other cars on the first track. If i can beat the high score, I can enter my initials. Afterwards, i will tackle the same track in the grand prix and try to claim first place. When I owned my first copy of the game, (yes I got this more than once because the first copy got lost), I was able to make it up to the 7th course in the grand prix mode. To give you an idea of what the first track looks like, someone made an offhand remark back then about how it resembles a snes controller. As you start, you are on the longer back portion before being confrunted with 2 long rights, followed immediately by a short left. After that is a brief stretch of track heading in the opposite direction to the way that the race started before another short left, followed immediately by 2 long rights, which ends on the same long stretch of track you started on to finish the lap. At any time while driving, you can press and hold up to activate your speedboost, which you will hear me doing several times throughout the races, as well as bump into other vehicles and crashing. Over all its a fun game, and very satisfying when you manage to learn and finish a new and increasingly difficult course after some trial and error. Definitely give this a try if you can.

During those days, we kids were always buying games off of each other with whatever money we could earn or save, so we didnt have to deal with a salesman behind the counter, and we could always count on each other for fair and affordable deals. It was in one of these transactions that I managed to snag a copy of side pocket, a simple billiards game by today's standards, but it was a simpler time in general, so that was ok. I definitely spent time sinking balls in this, since hearing them clink against each other and thumping against the sides was so satisfying, as was actually scoring a pocket. Add to that an optional  funk and jazz soundtrack in the background, and you have a pleasant auditory package to make up for the barebones presentation. In the second part of the demo, I try to make it through the game's equivalent of a tournament. Its impossible to tell what balls are which numbers, but I didn't care back then, as long as I got lucky and didn't sink the wrong thing. Of the 3 games here, this is the least playable, but its still fun, and I do recommend giving it a try.

I didn't get to play this final game until i got it years later as a prize for the 3ds from Nintendo loyalty program. If you've ever wondered why Nintendo games seem to be just a tad bit more expensive compared to the competition, this is where some of that extra money goes, so be sure to register your games with them and collect your points after you buy, which you cam use to redeem things later. I was doing plenty of just that around the start of the last deckade, registering all of the games that I and the family had been getting for the ds, GameCube and wii until i got to gold status and was rewarded with some extra games and feelies for my effort. Radar mission was one of those games, and i was mildly surprised at how playable it was. I know I said last week that we were gonna step away from the violence, but this one just came sailing in like nobody's business and I just had to try and sink that ship. So radar mission is a naval combat game with 2 modes of play. The first mode is why i got the game, because it is played just as in battle ship, where you and the ai take turns trying to sink each other's fleet on an ever expanding grid as you progress. The second mode lets you pilot a submarine in first person as you try to take out the enemy. Its not very doable, so for the final portion of the demo, I will stick to the first mode and do my best to win the battle. I really like the moody music as it sets the perfect tone of suspense for the situation and changes depending on who has the advantage and during special events like landing on lucky squares that reward you with extra shots next turn. Your radar even beeps when you strike waters near an enemy, and if your or the enemy's carrier is still in tact after a set number of turns, it will deploy a single unit vessel when it is next your or the enemy's turn. Out of the games in today's presentation, its right there in the middle in terms of playability simply because of that first mode, but i think that it is the most interesting and dynamic sounding game in the collection. I suspect that its still available on the 3ds e-shop along with side pocket if interested, so I definitely recommend giving this a try. None of the menus wrap, and neither does the grid if you hold a direction. Lastly, you can have the game place your ships for you, and you cannot fire on a spot that has already been hit. However the battle turns out, I hope you enjoy the final act to today's demo which after a lengthy writeup you can find below.

Today's triple feature funday special

Thanks for checking out this week's episode of Kenshira Plays. I hope that you like it. Tune in next week as we'll demo a story heavy playable game with English dialog. Until next time!

2020-10-06 23:07:34

do you have anything for pc

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2020-10-07 00:14:49

The games from posts 1 and 51 are available to be purchased for pc. I will cover more stuff you can buy on pc in the future.

2020-10-07 07:43:56

Hi.
I hope you can recommend more games for the Xbox.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-10-07 08:50:06

@Kenshira, your series is great! I was planning to sleep early for high school today, but man i got addicted! While i saddly won't be able to play everything you got to show (believe me i'm more and more tempted to buy a ps4) i'll get kof97 and... the game in post 1 with the weird-ish name.
one  little question, is there any way I can play rhythm eaven on pc?

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself."

2020-10-07 09:38:43 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-10-07 09:44:37)

@60 I don't have any of the xbox consoles beyond the 360 and what i have isnt hooked up right now, but if i can find something thats available there, i will let you all know.

@61 Glad you are enjoying the series. Please look forward to more. I also sent you a pm.

2020-10-07 12:54:36

hi do i need a menio gide for cofe97 on pc? and where can i get the controls gide are they in the reedme

2020-10-07 14:10:02

Have not played it on pc before so not sure, but setting up controls is actually very easy. The menus don't talk so you may need ocr but its not complicated.

2020-10-13 01:41:00 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2023-07-10 22:35:28)

Code Of Princess

Hi, everyone! Its a new week, which means that its time for a new game! Today, the damsel strikes  back and hits hard in code of princess for the 3ds!

This is a game that my vrother introduced to me. I had no prior knowledge of it until he bought it. Once I played it, though, I was absolutely hooked! The witty voice acting and memorable music really drew me in, along with the familiar and easy to understand gameplay. This was another one of those games we had to have on the several 3ds's that we've owned over the years. Today, I'll be playing through a few stages as the princess on my 2ds xl.

For those who are unfamiliar with the game, code of princess is a 2d beat em up with rpg elements for the 3ds. The game is also available for pc, and an updated version was recently released on the switch, however, only the 3ds version  has English voice acting. Still, the text does not auto scroll so you have time to use ocr or screen recognition tool to read the text if 3ds isn't an option. As for the gameplay, it uses fighting game style controls, with the face buttons for attacks and special, shoulder buttons to block, and up and down to jump and crouch. You can also gold block and press up or down to switch plains, perform combos, and use button combinations to perform special moves. In between fights, you can up your stats as you level and upgrade your gear. You'll notice me plow through some of these stages because I'm already leveled up quite a bit, but on your first playthrough, the game should present a fair challenge. Besides the story, it also has many additional challenges, a vs mode, and multi-player co-op and head to head battle, and there are a ton of characters to unlock and level as you plqy. As promised, there is quite a bit of story to go through here, so if interested, let me know if you want to hear more of the game in the future. For now, you can find the 40 minute recording below.

code of princess audio demo

That does it for this week. I really like that this game took the whole rescue the princess from the castle trope and turned it on its head. The game also doesn't take itself too seriously and frequently breaks the 4th wall, so it's definitely good for a laugh or two without needing to go into ridiculous territory. I hope you guys enjoy this week's game. Tune in next week for another episode of Kenshira Plays. Until next time!

2020-10-13 07:58:12

Hi.
Thanks a lot for this awesome game. I might get an older console to play some of those.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2020-10-13 09:39:48

Nice. A friend wanted some new ds games to play. This will be perfect.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-10-13 13:56:07

I don't really know where to post this, but @Kenshira have you played Metal Slug XX on psp? From what I've heard it should be on Vita as well so you may want to add it to your vita guide. It seemed playable for me. I haven't completed it yet.

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-10-13 14:35:00

@68
Good call. Will add that in next update. Have not played it myself though, but i read that it has an infinite continue system, so things should be largely the same.

2020-10-15 03:36:59

Code of Princess was great.  At the time, someone told me it was similar to Guardian Heroes, and that was all I needed to hear.

2020-10-15 03:57:22

Still have not gotten to play guardian heroes yet, but from what I've read, I would probably love it, especially if its anything like this one.

2020-10-15 04:14:40

for what I can remember , stage 2 of metal slug x will give you a little bit of trouble since it has platforming, but the rest is just fine.

2020-10-19 10:34:04 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2023-07-10 22:38:29)

Dungeon Punks

Hi, everyone! Its a new week, which means that its time for a new game! Today, I'm pummeling my way through baddies in Dungeon punks!

Ok, so gonna be honest here. I usually have an idea on what I wanna cover next by the time I hit that submit button, but I just wasn't really sure last week, since I was juggling around possibilities and wanted to keep things varied accross genres and consoles, plus I wasn't as confident then as I am now about this game, but rest assured that I definitely know what I want to cover next week at the time of this writing. Thankfully, after having spent a decent amount of time with this game, I am ready to present it to you all, so let's get on with the show!

This is a very recent purchase for me: think I picked it up the weekend before last, compelled by the eventual closure of the ps vita and ps3 store on web and mobile. Have to admit that I was hesitant, but after discovering it randomly while searching the mobile store for new games to buy, and finding all reviews pointing towards the game being playable, I'm glad I picked this up in the end.

Dungeon punks is a 2.5d beat em up with rpg mechanics, similar in style to dragon's crown, where you take a team of heroes through various locations, beating up baddies, leveling, looting, and learning new abilities along the way. What sets this game apart is the ability to have 3 heroes on screen at a time,, and the eventual ability to freely tag out and switch heroes at any time as you recruit more characters. Although the game is sidescrolling, you can move along the y to a degree, and room exits can be on all 4 sides of the screen once all enemies are cleared. Sometimes, you will have to clear away obstructions to proceed  like you will hear me try to do at the start of the demo, but I really think this game is manageable with just a bit of patience. The game is available for the Xbox 1, ps4 and ps vita, with the last two being cross-buy.

A couple things worth noting while playing: although it is not so in the vita version which i will be playing in this demo, the home versions do have stereo sound. You can also adjust the music and sound in the pause menu, as well as toggle other options like friendly fire and switch between d-pad and thumb stick for movement. I recommend having at least a bit of music if you're going to turn it down, because it often switches when you enter new areas, so its helpful for knowing where you are. All of the vertical menus do not wrap and neither does the stage select, which has the areas arranged in a row from left to right, and stage options for each area arranged vertically as you are on that menu. There is no voice acting, so ocr will go a long way here in imhancing your enjoyment of the game. Each character does have a shout when they are switched into combat or you take control of them, and their weapons do have their own impact sounds. You can pick up items with a press of the attack button while standing over the object. Finally, there is no jump button, so you dont have to worry about platforms and edges, but you can dash by double tapping left or right, as well as perform a dash attack. In between stages, you can walk around and talk to people on the ship. Don't worry about getting lost here as the area is rather small, and all the people seem to hang out around the top.

In this demo, I will try to make it as far as I can without dying. Check out the demo for dungeon punks below.

Dungeon punks audio demo

This game operates in such a way that you can only bring your loot and experience with you once a stage is cleared, or when you reach an escape location which allows you to return to your ship, and so the latter is where today's demo ends. Thats about all I have to say on the game for now. I've never seen this game discussed here before, so feel free to make a discussion topuc for it and ask questions avout it if you have any, or put em here and I will try to answer. Just bear in mind that I'm fairly new to this myself so definitely still have things to learn still.

That does it for this week's episode of Kenshira plays. Tune in next week, when we'll be tackling something in the spirit of the season. Until next tine!

2020-10-19 16:16:52

Awesome. I might grab this for my XBox. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Best regards SLJ.

2020-10-19 17:08:27

hi, KenshiraTheTrinity, can you bring more pc games to this topik, thx