2020-08-31 16:37:11 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2023-07-10 21:48:45)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project

hi, everyone!

Its a new week, which means that its time for a new game. This week, i'm playing through the first 3 levels .of tmnt 3 for the nes.

For many people, teenage mutant ninja turtles 2 the arcade is the best nes beat em up ever, but because tmnt3 came out so late for the Nintendo entertainment system, many are not aware of its existence. To me, this is the game that takes the cake and holds the most nostalgic value. It plays great, and sounds great, too!!

We didn't have a lot of money growing up, so i never had a copy of tmnt 2 when it was still hot. My cousin had it, though,, and I remember being totally jealous because I didnt have the game to play on my own time. All of that changed when high school came around, and one of my friends would decide to sell his nes with some games, and having some extra money on hand, I picked it up because our nes wasn't working anymore. One of the games that came with the nes was teenage mutant ninja turtles 3: the Manhattan project. I spent many days playing this with my baby vrother  who was around 5 or 6 at the time, and we had a totally tubular time! This game, along with turtles in time for the super nes were among my favorite brawlers growing up, because of their excellent sound design, radical rocking soundtrack, and fresh, satisfying gameplay.

In this game, the turtles are on holiday in Florida, watching April O'Neal on the newscast when suddenly it is high jacked by the shredder, who threatens to take Manhattan for himself, literally.. In this demo, the turtles will fight their way through the beach, surf their way through the Atlantic, and brawl their way accross the big bridge as they rush to help their city. You will hear enemies popping out of the sand, collapsing signs, opening manholes, and all kinds of other stupid obstacles obstruct my way as I bruteforce my way through the game. Before my baby bro  discovered that this game had a hidden cheat menu, I could only get to the halfway point of the third level solo before running out of lives and continues. So for this run, I set the difficulty to easy and give myself a few extra lives, though I have beaten it on normal before. Also, when you run out of lives, you are sent back to the start of the current level on your next continue, so i habe edited out where I ran out of lives near the end of the third level so you dont have to hear me play through it a second time. With that out of the way, grab a pizza, your beverage of choice, and check out my ausio demo of tmnt 3 below!

kawabanga!

If you have a copy of the game and want to try it yourseld with the cheats, the code for the western release is as follows:

At the title screen, press up up down down left right left right a v start. You will be taken to the cheat menu after pickimg your turtle, who from left to right are Leonardo, Raphael, Michaelangelo, and Donatello. In the cheat menu, the first option is scene select. Under that is difficulty, with normal and easy. Under that is lives, with default of 3, but you can increase it to 5 or 7. Under that is music, and under that is start game. Press a on it to begin playing. Use left and right to adjust the options or change the music, and a to play the music. The menus do wrap.

Let me know if you guys want to hear me finish the game from where I left off, and I'll make another recording. Otherwise, we'll switch genres to something less violent next week.

Enjoy!

2020-09-01 01:37:14

Good times!  I never had the NES version, but I had one on DOS I believe, sounds similar.
My fondest memories of TMNT are of the 1989 arcade beat-em-up though!  When I hear the intro, it still brings me back to the arcade.  Picked it up on the 360 when they re-released it, aged very well.

2020-09-01 03:21:00

Having grew up with tmnt2 on the NES, I didn't discover this game until later when I got into emulation. I really missed out, this is an amazing game for sure!

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2020-09-01 04:15:31

Indeed, these are classics. Didnt get to play the tmnt arcade until i went to a Nicle city during my college days. There i and a buddy spent a ton of nickles to beat the game lol.

2020-09-01 11:36:46

I know that this is a different game, but this reminded me of TMNT tournament fighters, the only good fighting game on the nes.

I waisted hours, literal hours on that tame, and Lio was my favorite, and raf was the close second.

2020-09-01 13:35:15

Their is another fighter on the nes called Joy mech fight. Japanese exclusive though, but its pretty good. Chojin sentai jetman has a pretty decent fighting mode.

Having said that, tournament fighters on the nes is definitely interesting, and has some very cool music. Konami had some excellent composerd working for them.

2020-09-02 19:07:23

@31:
correct. I still hum the themes of that game whenever I am board or writing an exam, which annoys my writer a lot.

Also, how the hell I missed "tame" instead of "game"? It is kind of embarrassing for me.

2020-09-07 18:31:04 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2023-07-10 21:52:27)

Rhythm Tengoku

Hi, everyone! Its a new week, which means that its time for a new game. Today, I'll be druming my way through some of Rhythm Tengoku on the gameboy advance.

First of all, let me start by saying that I want to keep this thread focused on titles that I own in one form or another. That way, you guys get the authentic consumer experience and reaction from me. Today, however, I'm going to make a very big exception for rhythm tengoku, because it changed my life as a gamer back in 2012, and completely sold me on the series, causing me to buy every english release that came after, including 3 purchases of rhythm heaven megamix. To that end at least, this game serves its purpose, so if you like what you hear and are one of the few who are unfamiliar with the rhythm heaven series and have a wii or 3ds, please consider picking up one or more of these games, whether it be rhythm heaven gold on ds, rhythm heaven Deaver on wii, or rhythm heaven megamix for 3ds. With that out of the way, let's begin the show.

Rhythm heaven, known as rhythm tengoku in Japan, and rhythm paradise in europe, is a series of rhythm games published by Nintendo, and developed by the same people behind the Wario ware games. The games have you play through a set of songs built around minigames, complete with audio cues to guide you on yoir way, and you unlock plenty of extra interactive goodies as you progress. Thus, I'm going to be showcasing a sampling of some of those goodies in the first game as i work my way through a few drumbing exercises, then take my skills live. I will conclude the demo by playing through the Bondfire Dance, which is my absolute favorite song in this game..

rhythm tengoku drum demo

Although rhythm tengoku was only released in Japan, there is an unofficial english patch called rhythm heaven silver. If you use a text editor to open the patch, it is possivle to fully read the english text for each section of the game without having to resort to ocr.

I hope you enjoy this half hour demo. Dince the last few weeks have featured games by Japanese developers, i will do a piece on a western developed game next week. Thank you all for tuning in.

2020-09-07 19:22:12

yay I love love love this series! I'm proud to say I successfully converted VGStorm's own Aaron baker to this series. He wasn't sure at first but he stuck with it and quickly fell in love with it. Hence why the rhythm games in manamon 2 exist.

2020-09-08 02:29:48

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! Love these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2020-09-14 17:30:27 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2023-07-10 22:08:04)

A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks

Hi, everyone. Its a new week, which means that it's time for a new game! This week, I'm blasting my way through 3 levels of a space shooter for 2 bucks.

A space shooter for 2 bucks is, well, exactly as the name implies. The game comes to us from Canadian-based Frima Studios and features full English voice acting. It was released for the psp in the early 2010s, during a time when mobile games were just taking off, and more expensive ports of mobile games were appearing on the playstation network as minis, which were compatible with the ps3, psp, and in most cases, with the ps vita. Width many of those expensive ports on the market, it was a very welcome surprise to know for once exactly what you were getting yourself into, and that was most certainly the case with this release.

When this game came out, I think I was relatively new on the psp minis forum, and constantly on the hunt for new games to play, which lead me to spend money on a few games that sounded playable, but weren't. Thankfully, this was not one of those games, and I was very pleased with its simple controls, voice acting, music and sound. The game itself is a vertically scrolling shooter, which means that things will be scrolling towards you, and you can move left or right to dodge. I believe you have some vertical movement as well. Along the way, you can collect temporary powerups, special weapon and defense boosts from bossesz and upgrades for your ship via a shop. The game has a few difficulty modes you can choose from before beginning a new game one  of 3 save files. Once the game begins after the opening cutscene, the maiming modes of play are campaign and survival, with all money you earn from survival transferable to the campaign. The starting map is one that you can freely move your ship around, but the game will play a tone when hover a sector, and you can press cross to jump to it. Pressing cross again will begin the stage properly.

In order for me to show you a completed stage in a timely manner, I did use a built in invincibility cheat, but it is possible to play this regularly with some grinding for upgrades, because your ship can take several hits before being destroyed, and there are checkpoints within the levels. You even get a warnning from either the commander or the ai when damage level is critical, and i believe that using your overdrive can repair some damage through upgrades. for this demo, I will be playing the game on my ps vita. Its still available on the psn at the same price, and a sequel was later released for ios. With that explanation out of the way, I present you with the demo of a space shooter for 2 bucks below, which is just a little over 40 minutes long.

A space shooter for 2 bucks audio demo

Spoiler tip:

If you wish to turn on invincibility, from within the vertical wrapping menu of the game, press up to wrap down to credits and choose it with cross. From here, press up up down dowm left right left right square start. Afterwards, press circle to exit credits to the main menu, where you can  go down to wrap back up to campaign. There are a couple more cheats if you're interested and want to look them up.

As an added bonus, Here is the trailer I saw off the psn all those years ago.

Hope you guys enjoy this week's game. Not suture what I'll do next week yet, perhaps I'll finally tackle a fighter, but which one? Stay tuned to find out! Until next time!

2020-09-14 19:32:07

Sounds interesting. I can't wait to see the content that you post here.

2020-09-14 20:12:00

Maybe a little of topic but you said that you are recording from a phone? I'm interested to know what phone do you have because I am looking for phones with a somewhat stereo spreading microphone

2020-09-14 20:26:35 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-09-14 20:29:39)

I yeah, i'm using a Samsung galaxy s9 plus. It has a stereo mic by default.

@37 glad to have your interest. Hope you enjoy whats here so far, and I will add more stuff next week. smile

2020-09-15 08:17:00

Hi.
Wow what a nice game. Do you know if the game is accessible for IOS?
Are you using the speakers in the Vita? It's quite good sound. If this game would work on the Ps4 then I would buy it asap.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-09-15 11:37:12

I actually used a set of external speakers for that recording so that the game has some base, but the vita is just as loud if not louder. If you want to hear what the vita speakers sound like, listen to the recording in post 1. Finally,, if you still have your ps3, you can still buy it and play it there..

Don't know if  the game is accessible on ios. Last I checked it was free, so you could try and see. Not sure how you would play it though.

2020-09-21 18:15:28 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2023-07-10 22:20:51)

Guilty Gear Judgement

Hi, everyone! Its a new week, which means its time for a new game! This week, I'm banging my head through some of Guilty Gear Judgement on the psp.

Since we were talking about how lacking fighting games were in audiogames last week, and how audio fighting games tend to be just vop it style reaction affairs, i thought it was finally time to semo how a mainstream fighter really plays. Eventually, I will demo a fighter with stereo combat sounds, but today is not that day. Still, this is a very playable game, with adjustable options such as difficulty, sounds, music, voices, buttons etc. The game has sounds and/or commentary for everything from blocks to recoveries to dashing to different finishers. Lets take a look at the game then, and what it has to offer.

Guilty Gear Judgement is a 2 game compilation that was released physically and digitally for the psp in the late 2000s. The game contains Guilty Gear Judgement, which is a lengthy 2d side-scrolling brawler with several modes of play, cooperative play, tons of unlockable characters, and a lengthy story for each character. The second game in the compilation is Guilty Gear XX reloaded, which is a 1 on 1, 2d fighter with over 20 unique characters, and several gameplay modes, with Guilty Gear Judgement acting as the story mode to replace the one missing in this version of XX. The Guilty Gear series of games is heavily inspired by heavy metal music, so both games have a smashing  soundtrack that rocks harder than any of the music  from capcom or snk games combined! If the music isn't your thing, you can turn it down, or disable it entirely, and the same is true of the voices and sound, with each having 150 levels of volume. For this demo, I tried to adjust it so that the music isn't intrusive and the action can be heard clearly.

Although Guilty Gear games have been around since the late 90s, I did not get exposed to the series until I got Guilty Gear Dust Striker for the Nintendo DS. Although that was by no means a horrible game, I wasn't too impressed with the 2 on 2, item heavy combat. However, when I picked up Judgement, I was absolutely in love with the gameplay, and was sorry I had not known about the main games sooner. Everyone knows about the fighters from developers like Capcom, SNK, Namco and Midway, but up until recently, the dev and publisher behind the guilty Gear franchise, and the games that came after it had remained relatively obscure. I only found out about them from hours of gaming research on my free time at the college library when I had no work left to tend to.

The game came out at such a perfect time for me, because i was just getting into Japanese rock bands like Asian Kung-fu Generation and I even had a 2 gb memory stick full of their stuff. Thus, the guilty gear soundtrack fitted perfectly with the music I was into at the time. The devs probably knew that people would want to enjoy the music outside of gameplay, so they included that a ility in the sound options for each game, and if you press square on a track, the game will automatically switch to the next track once that one was done. I loved that each track did not loop endlessly like other games, and that every track is its own song with a beginning and an end.

Eventually, I bought a digital copy of the game from psn so my brother and I could play cooperatively, and boy did that reduce the load times! Even going back to these games so many Years later, i still found them incredibly enjoyable, so much so that i kept playing long after the recording and editing process. Unfortunately, Guilty Gear Judgement has long since been removed from the psn, but i still recommend playing it however you can. The game is mostly voiced in japanese, but the story text in Guilty Gear Judgement does not auto scroll, so you can use a third party application to read it. Additionally, there are cheat codes to restore your lives, health and special to help you along your way through Judgement that you can look up. Finally, if you still wish to purchase a similar game in the series, you can still find other guilty gear games on the psn, including xx accent core plus for the psp, xx accent core plus r for the vita, and guilty gear sign and guilty gear revolater and its sequel for both ps3 and ps4, along with many other related content, even the original game from 1998. I may cover another game in the series in the future, we'll see..

In the audio demo below, I will fight my way through guilty gear xx reloaded as far as I can without dying with Sol Badguy, then I will do the same for guilty gear judgement. The demo is 40 minutes long.

Lets rock!

I hope you guys enjoy this week's game. Next week, we will visit a game that you can still find and play with others online. Stay tuned to this thread to find out what it is.

Until next time!

2020-09-21 18:25:38

@Kenshira: No idea if you know about that but there's the korean version of GG XX reloaded OST which in my opinion is just badass!
I am huge fan of GG series from it's first game and I've played a lot with my friends and other people even during few turnaments which was super cool.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2020-09-21 18:27:30 (edited by Lirin 2020-09-21 18:27:56)

If you want to record from your vita just plug in to your PC via line-in to have a straight signal if you have that opportunity.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2020-09-21 18:40:11

@lirin I actually didn't know about the Korean ost so will have to look into that.  thanks. I also don't have a good setup for pc at the moment, so just using my phone until I can resolve that. smile

2020-09-21 19:21:09

Could always find an external adapter for line in audio for your phone. I don't have anything specific in mind, but I'm sure there's something. I haven't played GG games of late, XRD didn't really grab me for whatever reason. I've never been super into the blazblue and GG style anime fighters from Acsys. but I'm alwys open to trying new ones when they come out in case that changes... Gilty Gear Strive looks to be interesting.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-09-21 19:35:22

Oh, oh dude. You are in for one of the best soundtracks around with the korean version of XX reloaded. It is a true masterpiece, and it's far superior to the original in every way.

2020-09-21 19:48:09

Just looked it up, and gotta say I definitely prefer the Korean music to the original US one. Wonder why the Korean version has a different sundtrack compared to the US or Japan?

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-09-21 20:22:38

Yeah, I'm curious to the story behind that also. I still like the original soundtrack, but wow this is radically different and awesome without sacrificing the flavor.

I didnt think line in audio solutions existed for phones, but ill have to look that up if they do. Also don't want to sacrifice stereo sound in the process.

2020-09-22 02:39:46

Hey guys, slightly off topic, but I figured that this was as good a thread as any to inform you all that the vita article I wrote has been updated with some links, and some more info on some current games and a newly added game. The link to the online manual im the article is broken for now, but i will fix it in the next update. If you've never read it before, you can find it here

Anyway, thanks for checking out this week's game. I look forward to sharing another next week.