2020-08-16 17:37:39

@Stealcase_ Damn, dude! If you will add armors, weapons etc plus stamina this code dungeon could change in to something like code souls, or darsk dungeon haha
I love Dark souls series just because it sounds fantastic, it is hard and it is satisfying as hell!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2020-08-17 02:45:52

Very silly and basic question, but what is/how do we scan? If it's part of the new update then that would explain why I don't know about this yet as I'm still on the first version in this topic.

2020-08-17 05:00:19

Press E to scan.

2020-08-17 05:15:42

@Stealcase
Thanks for the in depth reply!
Here are a couple answers to your questions.
F. Yeah I meant cardinal direction announcements, sorry for not being clearer.
I. I'm using NVDA 2020.2, it's strange because the menu sounds played but the screen reader wouldn't read even when I switched windows and came back.  Fixing it with a restart is easy enough though so not a huge deal.

Appreciate the crediting by the way...

Unfortunately I do have to report that V1.1.6 is crashing for me still, even after deleting the apdata.  I did some testing in order to at least narrow it down I hope.
1. Control scheme doesn't effect it.
2. Using the new snap to direction feature doesn't seem to cause the problem (this was my initial thought since it started as of 1.1.5)
3. It can happen even when standing still and while a monster isn't attacking.
4. RAM usage doesn't seem to be the issue.

It does seem to be crashing maybe a little bit less in 1.1.6 but not by much.  At this point my working theory is that it might be related to the number of simultaneous  sound sources, yet those haven't been increased since 1.1.4 so that doesn't make allot of sense.
Another possibility is that events aren't ending properly for certain actions, maybe things are still running and causing some kind of buffer overflow? It could be that something accidentally got left open when you adjusted the code for the snap to direction or player health values, or it's trying to save constantly.
Some kind of rounding issue while turning may also be the culprit, maybe the snapped to direction and the true direction aren't matching and it's causing collision detection problems?

I wouldn't really know as I'm not a coder, those are just my theories after working with them.

2020-08-19 12:16:31

Great theories #29 defender, thanks for taking so much effort to try to solve it! Been looking into it the past 2 days, and as far as I understand it I think you might be right about the Sounds being a factor. There might be some unintended consequences of a change I made to the sword swing direction audio.

I have a theory, but I won't be able to test and fix it until after the 26th; I have some work I need to finish that is taking all my time now. So in about a week I'll be able to focus on this again.

#26 haha, that would be the dream Lirian. Definitely wanted a similar vibe to that. We actually have the systems in place for the player using Bows, knives and other weapons, but a bug stopped us from fully implementing it close to the finish line. Would like to try to fix it later.

Working on Monsters of the North, posting gamedev stuff on Mastodon
Code Dungeon Download Link
Youtube Trailer and Tutorial

2020-08-20 19:20:21

I have the game installed and have run into an issue. I am going through the tutorial and as soon as I get to the crystal, I get thrown out of the game. I don't know if it doesn't like me going past the crystal or not. Also, I have to change the Controls for the sword actions every time. I hit confirm after I do the Changes, but when I go back into the game, it doesn't save my Changes.

2020-08-21 19:21:13 (edited by Stealcase_ 2020-08-21 19:22:55)

#31 Really sorry to hear that Computergamer;
I think this is the same issue that Defender is having with the game crashing.

I'm going to Full-Time trying to fix this issue after the 26th of august; currently I'm finishing some work that I can't delay.
Please don't try the game until I've pushed the update.

I'm sorry your experience in the game has been such a hassle. sad

2020-08-22 03:18:39

@Steelcase
Hey don't worry about it man, it's a free game, your first accessible title and you have your own life as well.  Don't stress about it too much.
I still really enjoy it even with the crashes.

2020-08-23 01:52:13

@steelcase, thanks for that. and I totally understand if you have other things to do. Don't stress yourself. i have Another feedback, I Think the sound for which direction you are facing could be louder. I have a hard time to hear what the  voice is  saying. I have to hit the q key a lot to hear what it is saying. Could there be a option to change the volume of this voice? or Another option to make it speak louder? Thqat's just a thing i thought about when I was playing.

2020-08-24 17:23:29

I load the code dungeon.exe, hear some music, and when I hit arrow keys, it sounds like steps, but nothing else happens.

The Certified Altruistic Lexicon is nigh!

2020-08-25 02:59:05 (edited by defender 2020-08-25 02:59:43)

@Dungeon Diver
Try pressing "1" and make sure your using a screen reader when running it.

2020-08-28 18:49:57

Has there been any progress on the game's fixes? I haven't touched the game since steelcase said I should wait until they fixed the issues. I tried to play the game, but got thrown out. The game has crashed a few times for me. i also Think the audio que for the directions should be louder, i have trouble making out what it is saying.

2020-08-29 02:31:53

Hey Computergamer; Been working on it for most of today and going to finish this patch tomorrow, so in less than 24 hours I will announce here that I've pushed the update.

This is going to be the big Quality of Life fix;

All of the options are now Serialized; that means they're saved to a text file so if the game crashes they won't need to be reconfigured. That means control settings and volume options. Options have clearer descriptions.

I'm also adding a Bunch of volume sliders for every conceivable thing, so that they can be adjusted based on preference.
In general I'm also boosting some sounds that people have found to be too low, so they're higher by default.

Theres now a toggle for turning off mouse input; if you're not using a mouse, turn it off so it doesn't affect the character rotation.

I am still trying to track down the EXACT crash bug, but I've done a bunch of Optimizations that I might have done it; My game hasnt crashed the last 10 times i ran through the first floor.

Here's a list of things I'm working on tomorrow:

1. Sound cue when you are close enough to an enemy that you can hit them. This is a big one that I think will improve the game drastically.
2. Sound Cue for when you are in range of an enemy attack; This one is something I suspect will make a big difference as well.
3. Sound cue for entering a new room
4. Fixing the fact that the Cardinal Direction Announcement doesn't speak everytime you turn around.
5. Scan should work on pickups, gonna fix it.
6. ESCAPE to get out of deep menus! I want this, hope I have time.

Going to bed now, it's 2 AM here, have a good one!

2020-08-29 12:37:46

Wow Steelcase that sounds awesome!  Just don't kill your self doing it because we can surely wait for some of those things if we need to.
I would ask that the monster in range sounds be toggles  if possible though for players who don't want that advantage.
Thanks so much for keeping the updates coming!

2020-08-29 20:43:13

Thanks for the positivity, defender! I didn't manage to do everything, but I figured something is better than nothing;

Alright, Update is out! This is version 1.2.1

This is just a QUALITY OF LIFE update; It does NOT include new gameplay. If you've played through the content already, its gonna be a little longer until there's a content update.

Please Delete your old saveFiles before downloading this update: They are incompatible and will cause issues.
That means: Delete everything in the folder C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\LocalLow\Wiktor and Benjamin\Code Dungeon
This shouldn't be necessary for future patches, but this patch restructured the Saving System.

Main Order of business: The game SHOULD Crash less: I haven't been able to crash the game all day.

Escape now gets you out of Deep Menus, but will not resume the game. (Should make mistaken UI clicks less frustrating) (Requested by defender)
- Scan works on Pickup items. (defender)
- Sounds have a ton of options for adjustments. Go into Options > Audio Settings for a list of sliders that you can adjust.
-You can turn off Mouse Input
- All controls and options and audio settings are saved to Text Files, so if the game DOES crash, it's slightly less annoying. (Requested by defender #24)
-You can now rebind the arrow keys (Requested by Ghaith#23)
- Game no longer writes text logs for Collisions, attacks and taking damage; this caused a very slight performance hitch, and I don't need that data urgently anymore. Might turn on again at a later point if new features need to be tested.

I did not manage to implement the new features I mentioned: sound cue for in-range of enemy, entering new room, cardinal direction, etc. Splitting the Audio mixing and creating a system for updating all those volume settings separately ended up taking all day. I had a bug that was incredibly frustrating to track down that slowed things a lot.

I'm taking tomorrow off (Sunday) and continuing on Monday.

If the game crashes for anybody, please let me know and I will furrow my brow and call a friend to help track it down. I have no idea what it could be a this point if it still happens.

2020-08-30 11:31:33

Hello. I want to say that not all settings in the game are saved. only sound settings are saved. why did you remove the sounds of creatures? without these sounds the game became boring. I also want to add that after a long game, something happens to the sound. extraneous noise appears. the game is good, but incomplete. I will wait for new updates. thanks.

2020-08-30 14:09:34

Hey #41 black_dog; I haven't removed any sounds from the game, I just wasn't able to add a new set of sounds that I was planning to add to make it easier to tell when the player should swing their sword. If the monsters don't make sound, that's a bug and not intentional.

I've been testing the game a bunch of times today to make sure that enemies make sounds, and on every play through for me they do; did you remember to delete your old save file folder? This might cause issues.

I've tried to play the build version of the game on my Desktop computer and downloaded it on my laptop through itch.io, and I can't make the monsters be quiet.

I did discover a couple of bugs though; By default, UI sounds and Hallway Swooshes volume is set to 0 now. Don't have a clue how that happens; They should be set to 1 at the start of the game the exact same way every other sound is given max volume.

Thanks for your report about the sound getting weird after a long game; I'm gonna leave the game running tomorrow to see what happens with it. Then I'll get to work on improving the game.

Thanks for playing, I'm sorry it doesn't feel like a "complete experience". Glad to hear that you still want to check it out when it updates.

2020-08-30 23:23:37

I had the same issue with the sound being weird after long game. I could change the settings for the sounds, but my Control settings wer enot saved. I had to reconfigure the sword attack buttons every time. I am glad you changed the audio volume for the cardinal  directions, i can hear them much clearer now. I got the issue withh the sound while i was playing through the tutorial since I wanted to familiarize myself witht eh game. I was about to finish the tutorial when I got completely stuck. I got to the Point when fighting enemies to open the door, I managed to beat the enemy and open the door, but when I Went through the door, I couln't go anywhere. There wer no open passage for me to go. ANd when I exited the tutorial to go to the main menu, I clicked on new game, but nothing happened.

2020-08-31 12:04:29 (edited by defender 2020-08-31 12:05:24)

@steelcase
So here are my thoughts on 1.2.1

First, great job on the direction voice, majorly reducing the effect of the HRTF on it while still allowing directional positioning was the best outcome I had hoped for.
I also really like the individual volume sliders, I had kinda hoped for something like that but thought it would be too much to ask.

I am still seeing that the mouse sensitivity and control scheme aren't saving though, and this is after deleting everything in the appdata.
I also noticed that with the control settings, even if you change the dialogue scrolling keys, you still can't actually use any of the arrows for other actions even if you set them that way.  They still try to scroll text.
Oh and, if possible, it would be good if the saved sound options (or at least the ones controling music and menu selection volume) would load before the game did.  I know this may add an extra second to the load time, but you could always have the game read out "loading" if the screen reader option is enabled, so that people know it's working.  This way you won't get way louder sounds for the first couple of seconds after the game starts.

By the way, I can confirm that the attack speed increase items now show up on the radar which is great, along with the louder and more central item pickup sounds which do their job perfectly.

I do have to unfortunately report that the game still consistently crashes for me at varying points after the second chomper though, and still with seemingly no pattern.  I know this must be incredibly frustrating for you but I promise you I'm more than willing to wait until it's fixed.  We don't get good new games with interesting mechanics often around here, so I'm confident that others are as well.  Don't worry about people losing interest too much.

Thanks for your continued work!

2020-08-31 13:01:06

Thanks again for the detailed feedback defender and Computergamer, really appreciate it.

Man it makes me sad to hear that the game still crashes. And that the controls arent saved? Damn, I am sorry. I'm going to spend some time working on stability and fixing the things you've mentioned. I want to work on features and content, but if the game randomly crashes and settings don't save then it's all moot. I'll get some help from some friends trying to debug this.
Thanks for letting me know that at least it's consistent after the second chomper; It will definitely help me when I run the debug profiler, so I can search in that area (even if I can't reproduce the crash itself).

I won't say it's fixed until I'm certain what caused it.

Right now I have a couple suspicions;

1. Code stripping; when Unity builds a Game it strips code that is unused from the project. Sometimes this automatic process makes mistakes and removes code that shouldn't be removed.

2. Game tries to load too many sound sources at once; This one seems unlikely to me, since the game only ever has 12 mb of sound loaded in Ram at any given time, but sound is the most high-performance taxing thing in the game right now. I'm going to see exactly what happens around the second chomper when it comes to the number of sound sources and if there is a performance or memory spike.

3. Some sort of memory leak caused by the animation system. This one seems possible; I've managed to freeze the game by pausing and resuming during an attack. If the game hitches at some point due to an attack, It's possible the consequences of that hitch cause a crash further down the line.

I'll post in this thread when I've fixed it, but I won't be responding or keeping this thread alive until I know the game is Stable. My current estimate is in a week's time.

2020-08-31 18:25:54 (edited by defender 2020-08-31 18:26:50)

@Steelcase
Please don't be too hard on your self.  I respect how much you care about your project, but hearing you apologize so much for bugs in a free game makes me feel like you might be beating your self up for it, and I wouldn't want that to effect your day.
I know it sucks, but you've got all the time in the world to work on it.  Like I said we'll still be here when you figure it out and I for one really appreciate that you're continuing to work on this problem while also improving other things.  The pace isn't that important, and the lessons you've learned about accessibility along the way aren't going anywhere no matter how well the game works.

2020-08-31 18:38:29

yeah, relax, take your time man. don't forced yourself too much.

2020-08-31 22:22:28

Hello,
Any plans for gamepad support in this? I'd love to play with a gamepad and have analogue support for movement speed etc.

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2020-09-01 07:08:41

I just wanted to stop by this thread and say that I am loving this game. It is definitely a breath of fresh air in terms of audio games these days. The market was getting horribly saturated with at best average games, but this one is keeping me very entertained and provides a good challenge. I just made it to the third floor a little while ago and am loving the challenges. Although, I will say, figuring out the pattern for those damn hogs is so difficult. I swear i only ever kill them by luck. Anyway, keep up the hard work, and i will definitely be happy to wait around to see what this game becomes over time.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2020-09-01 23:10:23

Just got a chance to try this out and it really is pretty neat. Haven't spent a huge amount of time with it, but you're onto something with this.

One bit of feedback: Any chance for an audio glossary, "learn sounds" menu, etc.? The tutorial is nice, but when I read a game message telling me that open spaces sound different, it can be a bit difficult to tell those specific sounds from others. So being able to experience them in isolation would be helpful.

Thanks for all your work, and I agree with folks who tell you that you shouldn't apologize for your bugs. You *could* be making an inaccessible game, but you're busting your ass to make it playable by us. So thanks for that, and give yourself a break.