2020-09-01 20:10:07

Lol, I bought the thing only to have it stop working literally less than 6 months later. Actually bought it twice, because the first time I lost my key, and Q wouldn't give it to me. I'm still salty about that.

2020-09-01 20:21:27

Same! I was going to try it but no authorisation page appear. And worst of all it didn't migrate to python 3. Double shaim I think? And 3 years with out an update. Tripple shame I think? And no one is taking over development. Quatrupple shame I think?

73 Wj3u

2020-09-01 20:35:18

Not that I should be considered a role model to anyone, but seriously... Take a leaf from my cheerful book: Stop using Twitter. Amazing how much more stuff you can get done in a day when you're not mindlessly scrolling through tweets haha.

And yeah, to all the people who spent $15 and it stopped working... It's $15. It's probably the price of a takeaway pizza or something? and it was probably so long ago that you've wasted more than that on iPhone cases, or food that you didn't eat... or beer you vomited up.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I found Q's software very useful when I used it. Sorry, but if you can't find (or even code) a better solution, I feel like you shouldn't be bitching at the one developer who tackled accessible Twitter clients, accessible PDF reading, and accessible Pandora.

I get it, the software might not be current anymore, I mean we have PDF reading in Chrome and it's lovely. But at the time, it was great stuff.

I reckon it's easy now with the comfort of choices to look back and say "Q's a dick, and I regret buying his software", but did you have that much of a choice at the time? Presumably not, or you'd not have shelled out in the first place. It's not like his software didn't come with an evaluation period in which you were meant to well... evaluate the product.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-09-01 20:47:26

Well, if you have such an attitude, , you're a dick, no matter if you make a program which lets you fly across the moon, that's not the point. We aren't saying that he doesn't know how to program, rather that he doesn't know how to deal with people and especially with his customers.

2020-09-02 08:12:17

Hi Camlorn,
https://q-continuum.net/chicken_nugget/buy

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-09-02 16:05:42

@28
Pianobar has existed for a long time, I think as long as Hope, and is accessible.  Qread somehow avoided bugs, and I still use it for that reason.  Chicken Nugget was unstable for many of us from very early in the project.  Not unstable enough to be unusable, not at first, but it went downhill pretty quickly.

But if you want something shady that he actually did do--and which is pretty widely known--NVDA Remote was funded under the understanding that it'd be open source, only for him to keep the server closed source and claim that somehow he was meeting his obligations to the funding campaign, which a number of us were involved with getting off the ground.  That wasn't the last straw from those of us who used to consider him a friend, and broadly speaking most of the really negative stuff with Q happened in private and I'm not willing to bring it up for that reason, but I think that's bad enough to justify our negative view of him alone.

Also, try reporting a bug.  50-50 as to whether or not he gets pissed at you for it, and if you know him well enough that you have access to his source code, 100% chance that he demand you fix it, and 100% chance that he get even madder when you ask how much you're going to get paid to do that.  And god help you if it's negative feedback that's not a bug, that raises the arrogant anger chances to basically 100% even if it's in public and the person offering it has no involvement with him.

So I mean...yeah.  Don't get mad because Chicken Nugget isn't maintained.  I don't think that's reasonable or fair.  But there are lots and lots of reasons to avoid anything to do with him.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-09-02 18:50:16

Well said @31, I respect you for how balanced your words are, but that's an off topic.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com