2010-03-11 22:37:32

Soon, I'll delete all members that have a total post count of 0 messages. If you happen to be a zero-poster and do not want to be deleted, please respond to this message, and you'll be saved. big_smile

Sorry for this, guys, but it's necessary to keep this forum spam free.

Regular users probably won't notice anything though.

2010-03-12 01:05:54

Well the clean up is completely understandable. Heck if things got really serious you could go so far as removing people who haven't been online here in 6 months and have fewer than say 5 posts, but it is probably indeed best to see how the removal of zero post accounts goes first. There are probably lots of sub-5 post accounts from spammers who posted once or twice before being banned.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-03-22 13:47:46

I'd myself be a litle concerned about deleting low post counts, sinse there are developers like liam urven and Che martin who only show up and post here when they've got new games to discuss, and thus have a fairly low post count, but who we'd deffinately want to keep around.

hopefully though removing those zero post accounts will be helpful.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-03-22 15:27:48

Hi Dark,
Thanks for your concerns. I don't delete low count users, I only delete the users with zero messages that joined over the past weeks. Currently, about 1500 bots join our forum every week. I decided to close the registration for some time, to try to stop them. Brrr....

2010-03-22 16:17:34

1500, yikes. I had a feeling there would be some but that's way more than I'd have ever imagined on our little corner of the internet.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2010-03-22 21:22:56

Ouch indeed, that's a regular autobot army, ---- well their bots, and their automatic ;D.

I do wonder if some form of verrification would help. the monster breeder game at http://monbre.com/?ref=Vincent tells you to write the words I am not a bot into the box in joined up writing when you create an account, ---- or maybe you could direct people on the registration page to go somewhere else to find a verrification code, --- -such as having the register link on the forum as normal, but then a message telling people that the code is on the database entry for a given game, such as fartman or whackamole (a noteable one people would remember).

Obviously image verrification would be desasterous, ---- but if we're getting that! many spambots creating accounts, ---- well obviously something needs to be done.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-03-24 09:49:15

Another one I've seen is "What is the opposite of cold?" There are indeed options in that regard.

cx2
-----

2010-03-24 10:24:47

Yep, any sort of code or question not written on the page will do really.