2020-06-26 00:28:01

Hi.
So I was able to get my hands on iOS 14 a couple days ago, and I decided to come here and share my thoughts with you guys as well as some things I've noticed.
First, I will share what I think of it.
Beta one of iOS Fourteen is probably the most stable beta one of any product I've ever tested.
I like the library which although may appear confusing at first is easy to understand once you explore it.
I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like there's a little bit more space between app icons on the home screen. This is a visual thing, so if anyone else with decent vision disagrees, please let me know. I however would go as far to say that we should be allowed to put five or maybe even six apps on one row, similar to the jailbreak tweaks on older iOS versions.
I do not like the widgets on the home screen. The only one I tried was the battery one, and although it reads the numbers, I can't get Voiceover to tell me what battery it's looking at.
I feel like the new Siri interface will take me a lot of time to get used to. I'm still used to Siri taking up the full screen when activated, and I always find myself looking at the center of the screen for my background to be blurred out, then I remember it doesn't do that and I have to look to the bottom of the screen.
On my iPhone X, the call window still takes up the full screen which is not supposed to be the case.
I also like how the lock screen now has the decline and answer buttons vs just having the slider.
Finally, I do like how incoming calls on the home screen or within an app don't take up the entire screen. It is not as confusing as I'd initially expected, and I was easily able to find it and answer my incoming calls.
Now, some things I've noticed.
First, I've found that whenever I either unlock the phone or turn on Voiceover, it always seems to think it's in a search field, even if one isn't present.
Also, I am unable to find the Voiceover detection option on my phone.
If anyone else has noticed some things or knows how to fix some of the bugs I described, please let me know

If you wish to contact me privately, you can do so in the following ways.
Telegram, Rich_Beardsley. Discord, RichBeardsley. Facebook, Rich W. Beardsley
Twitter, RichBeardsley. Email, [email protected]. Both iMessages and emails are welcome.
Battle tag, Rich#12744. You can also add me through my email address.

2020-06-26 03:08:38

I can say that iOS is finally getting a design change that needed to happen for a long time as far as the call stuff goes

2020-06-26 08:48:11

I think the active call window is actually still supposed to take up the entire screen. You can always just move out of it with the home button or gesture and do other things. The idea was to redesign the incoming call notifications and Siri.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2020-06-26 09:51:19

does anyone know if you are now able to use third party tts voices across your phone without having to buy them again? I've heard this was a rumor and something that may be added.
Also, I didn't know the beta was available for download yet, or is it just priveate?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2020-06-26 12:15:41

It's a developer beta.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2020-06-26 17:23:10

@1
I believe you might  be breaking the Nondisclosure agreement. I thought you had to sign one of those to use the private betas.

2020-06-26 19:10:13

You have to agree to the terms of service, which no one on the planet ever reads unless they are desperate to go to sleep.

2020-06-26 19:19:55

I'll only say that the beta terms of service aren't even that long to read. However, Youtubers all over the place demo the beta and how it works, so clearly Apple isn't too strict about enforcing this.

2020-06-26 20:18:45

You can even get the beta profile on some places like various ios beta websites that host them, and apple doesn't give a shit

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2020-06-26 22:17:21

a question
Installing beta IOS version voids warranty?

2020-06-26 22:48:01

Of course not. They are Apple provided.

2020-06-26 23:19:02

I think the neatest thing about iOS 14 for voice over users is the OCR and image recognition stuff.  Creating image descriptions is extremely quick and I'd say the descriptions are at least as good as Seeing AIs.
The problem with OCRing the screen to make apps accessible is that at the moment, it is doing that and text accuracy is pretty decent but a good chunk of the screen turns into 1 giant element, so it's impossible to tap items you want to use.  Presumably this will change before the release is out though.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2020-06-26 23:40:40

I do know however that if you try to get support for your products you can pretty much guarantee that they won't do it. All they will tell you is, "This isn't official software. There's not much we can do".

Twitter, RichBeardsley. Email, [email protected]. Both iMessages and emails are welcome.

2020-06-27 01:51:54

where do I get the beta?

2020-06-27 02:48:22

@13 that is true as I had to get a test done on the iPad I had at the time and they told me I would have to downgrade back to iOS 12 to be able to do the test again

2020-06-27 06:49:32

For those who "absolutely" want the developer beta, learn how to get it from IMore:

https://www.imore.com/how-download-ios- … loper-beta

Otherwise, wait for the first public beta to be released some time n July, found at

http://beta.apple.com/

2020-06-27 13:34:59

Ok, so even iMore is letting these things slip by?

2020-06-27 14:35:59

@12: Shoot I'd just be happy with the screen being OCR'd. I mean, for PPSSPP, that'd be amazing! But, does the OCR get updated as the screen changes? Hmm, maybe if you "watch" that element with VoiceOver?

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-06-27 19:32:56

What about iphone 7? Will it be able to run ios 14, or is ios 13 as far as it will go?

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-06-27 20:18:41

It will.

2020-06-27 21:14:10

I don't think they dropped any devices this year.

2020-06-27 21:27:27

All devices that could get iOS 13 can get iOS Fourteen. This means that iPhone 6S and newer are good

2020-06-28 11:30:38

What about the tts thing?

Best regards: Marco

2020-06-28 12:18:56

Nothing on it yet.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me