2020-06-23 10:43:43

What? What's wrong with normal Windows 10? Okay, so I can think of a few obvious reasons, but how do you even make Windows 10 more  tailored to the blind and visually impaired? Seems fine to me basically.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-06-23 11:01:49

Agreed with DJEPIC. What's wrong with windows? excluding the annoying updates?

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-06-23 11:03:22

I had no problem with the normal Win 10 honestly. From installing, configuring, troubleshooting, etc are fine. I think Windows 10 is far, far better than its previous predecessor.  You can do  most of the things yourself, no need to bother any sighted people anymore. Can you install Windows 7, 8, 8.1, yourself? Certainly yes, but with the help of the Win PE. And what about Win 10? Can you install it from scratch yourself? Absolutely! So, at least Microsoft maid a lot of progress in these last few years.

2020-06-23 12:08:37

I got interested too.
Does anyone have an iso file?
I may drop this on a vm/unused laptop and see how it works.

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2020-06-23 12:54:48

you don't get an ico file it is just a .msi installer that installs the thing on to your windows.

2020-06-23 13:33:37 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-06-23 13:35:16)

@urior, Oh, well then. How do you even know this? Do you also happen to have the file itself?
Oh, by the way, previous posts refer to ISO files, which are disk images. I honestly don't know what ICO is, but I won't doubt it's some other extension out there.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-06-23 14:38:29

Lol, Did I say Windows 10 is bad!
No, it isn't. I don't understand why people hate it, I try every new stable build that comes out, every new update, and it works for me.
However, something which exists, even if it's good, can be improved. Take Cortana, immensely useless, can't even play a spotify song for me on the latest build. So, if someone decides to improve or change it, why not.
People, stop behaving like the thing you love is the last thing you've got, because it clearly isn't. If someone is making improvements, then give them a chance.
Additionally, has anyone noticed that once you start Cortana on the latest update, it doesn't close even after pressing alt + f4. I have to close her from task manager.

2020-06-23 14:57:59 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-06-23 14:59:32)

@MyDearWatson, That's not what I'm trying to say. I mean that I haven't faced any significant accessibility flaws or things that in my opinion would warrant improvement. An example of this is your Cortana issue, I also don't get that either.
I'm also saying that, given the extremely limited knowledge we seem to have about this, and given how much it modifies your install, I'm a tad wary about what this may have to offer.

2020-06-23 15:12:44

@33 windows 10 is slow, the startmenu is not the definition of accessibility and classic shell is abandoned so could stop working every update, the search boxes that now get embedded into the explorer instead of just a search field is a mess and so much more. If there was a packet to fix this i would definitely install this, maybe i get to it and can then try it in a vm.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2020-06-23 15:56:01

@Simter, I couldn't disagree stronger. The default start menu is admittedly sluggish on lower-end PCs, but it's perfectly accessible. Either way, whether Classic Shell still works later, it still works now. And technically, it hasn't been abandoned. Look up Openshell, that should put you out of this mindset. The Cortana embedded search boxes are, again, slightly sluggish on lower-end PCs, but work fine on mine. Plus, use an alternative file manager.
I don't see what Jen brings that improves upon the specific aspects you mentioned that you wouldn't just be able to download yourself, unless you could tell me more about it.

2020-06-23 16:18:07

And if you're running on 4gb of ram, seriously. Upgrade. 8gb is the new minimum in 2020 in order to get by these days, 16gb means you're set. Experience running win10 on 4gb of ram is nothing but sluggish and there is no snese even trying anymore. Then while the new start menu would be less than ideal, at least it wouldn't bog down the system. Maybe you have a second-hand retailer near you that can sell higher spec machines for significantly less than retail price.

2020-06-23 16:32:01

I'm running Win 10 with 4 GB of ram, but not complaining about lag which is obviously the fault of that very PC. It is actually pretty decent, except a few mentioned things like start menu sometimes being a little laggy, though usually just closing it and opening again fixes that issue. The thing you must however do on such a configuration is disable Windows defender completely, otherwise it will seem way more laggy than it needs to be. Also, if it ever gets too slow, it is probably just installing some update and you should only give it some time to finish.

2020-06-23 18:07:33

Okay, guys.
this seems interesting .  where can you get this?

2020-06-23 18:37:31

@37 you really don't want to disable windows defender and like others 8GB is the minum for running at a good speed

2020-06-23 18:39:36

I really do. Being that it's my PC, I kind of know what I want to and not want to do on it. By the time I deal with it's 100 false positives, I will already be done configuring my Windows installation.

2020-06-23 19:10:33

Yeah, you can live with 4 gigs of ram just fine, if you know what you are doing.
My old Lenovo can take windows 10 just fine and it has the first gen i5 and 8 gb of ram.
Also, I know win Jen literaly modiffies your windows installation, so even the complete boot sequence looks different.
I will trying ringing the number again, I should be able to get talku up again.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-06-23 19:50:09 (edited by MyDearWatson 2020-06-23 19:51:00)

Stop criticizing something as for now, you don't even know what it has to offer.
If people are willing to take risks, and taking risks is the way of life, then what's the problem. Let them try to explore tools to improve their stuff. They aren't going to sue you or anything, if anything we will get more knowledge about whether it's good or bad.

2020-06-23 19:55:37

I'm very wary of this. I don't like something that touches critical system files and components without knowing exactly what it does first. If I want to modify my system, I'll use NTlite -- that's what I've done before and I can do it again, and NTlite is a tool that I can trust.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-06-23 20:01:23

oh @angel: hey hey, hld on a sec, if this modifies the boot sequence it can happen it will fucking override my mbr and destroy my dual boot with linux.

2020-06-23 20:06:27

@MyDearWatson, I just seem to keep on having to say this, and who knows when I won't have to. For the last time, I'm genuinely not criticizing this piece of software. Just as I'm not endorsing it. Look, I just don't know about it. Just like I'm not going to invite every Tom Dick and Harry into my house because they may have money, I'm not installing every piece of software I find for potential benefits. Can you at least understand that?
I'm sure you're aware, the Internet's a biiig, biig place. Who knows what you'll find? At this point, am I not even allow to exercise caution on my PCs lifespan because this next-gen unknown software may help me?

2020-06-23 21:08:34

I don't think it will modify your boot loader or anything like that, I just know that it looks different when it boots, that is all.
So it actually modifies system files, but I am willing to take the risc, I have a vm, also an old laptop and I am a very, very curious person.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-06-24 05:16:16

The question's about other Windows version, and instead of answers, a discussion about the ram and repeated posts contains opinions about orginal Windows10.
I really like blind forums, offtopic eweryday and everywhere is guaranteed.
And finally, Win10 isn't good to me, i like only Win7.
If you don't know the answer, I don't understand why you are replying in this topic. It's nonsense.
I also don't understand posts like e.g. "I also want it!". When someone share the link everyone will be able to download it, so why do you sending these messages?

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/

2020-06-24 07:46:47 (edited by MyDearWatson 2020-06-24 07:48:43)

@45: Yes, I am not saying that you should install it in the way that it will be a risk to your machine or anything. But trying it out on a spare machine or vertual machine is a very secure option.
Even that is totally your choice and I simply don't care if you or anyone else tries it. All I care is that we shouldn't ostracize something just because it looks suspicious.
Innocent until proven guilty.

2020-06-24 08:08:08

@47. What's the problem with windows 10 for you?

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-06-24 09:29:52 (edited by dash 2020-06-24 09:30:49)

This thread isn't good to discuss about it.

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/