2020-06-16 18:14:23

Hello all,
I'd like to introduce a simple project I made out of plain boredom. This was previously a project I had made for myself to kill my own time, but I decided if anyone else wanted it then I'd post it here.
The game is called Challenge of the Horse, and here is an excerpt from the readme.
Challenge of the Horse, or COTH, is a 2D endless sidescroller in which you are riding a horse. Your goal is to jump over the objects that await you as you gallop through the playing field. But not only must you jump objects, you must stay on the ground if objects are above you.
The horse will speed up every 15 seconds, and objects will begin to become harder to jump and dodge. So you must time your jumps and dodges accordingly and avoid crashing. otherwise, the game is over.
You can get the game from here:
http://tunmi13.dev/projects/coth.zip
NOTE: This game is not meant to be a constantly-updated project, in fact the game itself is mostly done, just ironing out the bugs that people find, but other than that this project is mostly finished.
Hope you enjoy this little thing.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2020-06-16 18:44:25

awsome! this is however going to wait since i have a stream in about 16 minuts

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2020-06-16 18:58:35

Cool.  It's simple sure, but more little arcade games are always nice.
Honestly those are the kind that I always find my self coming back too, even when I'm not in the mood for most audio games.

2020-06-16 19:35:47

Thats so cool! keap it up!!

2020-06-16 20:37:11

It's simple, but polished. Good work Tunmi! The only thing I could suggest, it's a little jarring hearing the horse sound just stop when you jump, is their a way to make this transition a little more realistic sounding?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-06-17 01:28:49

I just got a high score of 30 in Challenge of the Horse using my male Chestnut-colored horse named Shadow! You can get it from: http://tunmi13.dev/projects/coth.zip
Lol it's a pretty good game, and from speed 290? or 300? to 230 it sounds still natural and not like you've increased the pitch, ALthough it is rather weird when the sound of an object disappears as soon as I pass it or jump through it, although this isn't a pretty bad thing and I like it. big_smile

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2020-06-17 08:50:55

I'd appriciate if you could change your hosting server, you already know the reason. I'm missing out on a lot of games of yours.

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2020-06-17 11:42:41

I just got a high score of 123 in Challenge of the Horse using my female black-colored horse named Lucille! You can get it from: http://tunmi13.dev/projects/coth.zip
This is fun.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2020-06-17 13:07:48

I just got a high score of 138 in Challenge of the Horse using my male chestnut-colored horse named silver!

2020-06-17 15:04:49

I just got a high score of 177 in Challenge of the Horse using my male white-colored horse named Makibao! You can get it from: http://tunmi13.dev/projects/coth.zip

Hurt me with the truth, but never comfort me with lies

2020-06-17 15:06:46

I just got a high score of 216 in Challenge of the Horse using my male black-colored horse named Beer drinker! You can get it from: http://tunmi13.dev/projects/coth.zip

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-06-17 15:59:18

LOL your horse chugs beer? Interesting.
Well, here's mine. Yes, even devs play their games.
I just got a high score of 351 in Challenge of the Horse using my female chestnut-colored horse named Becky!

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2020-06-17 16:43:34 (edited by manamon_player 2020-06-17 16:43:56)

I just got a high score of 27 in Challenge of the Horse using my male blue-colored horse! You can get it from: http://tunmi13.dev/projects/coth.zip

2020-06-17 17:05:26

Jees! You guys, have a lot of time on your hands.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-06-17 19:03:26

mwoo haahaahahahah!
Last recorded position, 3273 , 0
jumps from first game, 53
31 jumps in last game
73 dodges ever since first game!
51 dodges in last game. and
and, I just got a high score of 246 in Challenge of the Horse using my male Chestnut-colored horse named Shadow!
excellent

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2020-06-18 02:47:13 (edited by wightfall 2020-06-18 02:49:37)

ok here is my stats.
I just got a high score of 264 in Challenge of the Horse using my female white-colored horse named blue nin! You can get it from: http://tunmi13.dev/projects/coth.zip
i think i can do more wait until tonight because it has a noice.

the bestest reward for people who are working so hard they should receive their experience of their own life.
everyone can collect in everyday.
:d

2020-06-18 09:21:59

Ausumn.
online scoreboard would be cool thing tho

Yours kindly

2020-06-18 20:40:18

I just got a high score of 234 in Challenge of the Horse using my male Chesnut-colored horse named Ty! You can get it from: http://tunmi13.dev/projects/coth.zip  Hey, nice little game ya got here. A couple suggestions and or bugs. I don't like how objects sort of just, disappear when you walk by them. It doesn't feel very realistic to me. In edition, I think that the gender selection should be a menu, not an input box. And once you get to speed 100 and it stops getting harder, the horse should not snort, as it's not getting harder, just 15 seconds elapsed. And one more thing. Add T to check how long you've been playing for and maybe remove C to tell you coordinets. I don't see it as being very necessary. I also think that points should work a bit differently. Maybe the closer you are to an object when you jump, of course with the exception of the air object thingies, you should get more points. For example, if i jump 1 tile away from the object, I would get more points then if I jumped, say, 3 squares away from it. It would also be nice to jump with up arrow, making the game easier to play with one hand. Something I also think would be cool but maybe not practical for a game like this is the ability to whip the horse to make it go faster or slower. Like, s for slower, f for faster, but the horse won't always listen, and maybe you get a penalty, such as losing points. Good game overall though.

2020-06-18 21:17:58

#18, just my opinions,
1, the objects disappearing is perfectly fine with me, because it'll let you hear the next object if it's particularly close. And it just sorta feels right. Shrug. mayb an option
2, I mean. why would jumping further or closer away from the object matter?  at high speeds, it'd probably make most people leave(impacient ones) and make it unnecessarily harder. I mean I don't really care how close or far I jump, as long as I make it it's good

and the s key is used to check score. big_smile

2020-06-18 21:29:48

@19, jumping closer from the object proves your skill and vailler

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-06-18 22:07:37

#20, passing the obstical proves your skill and valor. and dairing. because how do you know if you're gonna pass or not if you take random jumps near it? shrugies.

2020-06-19 01:13:58

agree with the score adjustment with obstacles, but if that doesn't end up working it's fine either way. Would love for you to be able to manually speed up or slow down the horse  though. Would just add a bit more controle I think. Also prefer to jump with up arrow, although that's not the biggest deal. Really great game as usual. Thanks for sharing.

2020-06-19 01:24:35

also, sorry for the dubble post, but how about making it so you have to duck the obstacles that are in the air? Might make it more fun once you pick up speed.

2020-06-19 15:19:18

If I remember correctly, horses don't really duck, they sorta, IDK, bend? If that makes any sense.
@Ty: There is a reason I made it that way. Objects sometimes spawn directly after one another. I did it this way for two reasons.
1. On the internal side of things, it cleans up the extra sounds that aren't needed anymore, and leaves SoundPool free for more objects ahead.
2. On the external/player side of things, it allows people to prepare themselves for the next object. Plus, it shows that you have actually passed the object. Because if an object is 10 tiles away and someone has dodged the previous object, if it doesn't disappear right away, it will not allow the player to recover fast enough to know that they have passed the previous object.
So to wrap it up, disappearing objects has two benefits.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2020-06-20 02:02:25

I just got a high score of 1428 in Challenge of the Horse using my female black-colored horse named kentucky kid! You can get it from: http://tunmi13.dev/projects/coth.zip