2020-06-15 13:52:58

Greetings!
I'm just wondering, what password manager do you use?
What free ones are good?
Finally, if I have to, I'll get an online password manager, but if I can, I'd prefer an offline one to keep control of my data.
I'm also looking for a password manager with browser integration.
Thanks!

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2020-06-15 14:00:58

Hmmm, here goes nothing. NordPass came with my NordVPN subscription. It's accessible with screen readers on Windows, iOS and Android, along with the browser integrations. It has a standard free mode and subscriptions with the limitations placed on the free version we've all come to expect though I suppose that isn't too bad if you don't plan to sync between multiple devices. Read up on it here.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-06-15 14:44:27

https://bitwarden.com/
Accessible and free.

2020-06-15 14:56:09

I've had an old bgt password manager in the past, but i am thinking of making a new one with wxpython and you've guessed it... python.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-06-15 15:49:19

The best one is the 1 which you already have in your pocket. Did you know that Google provides a password manager. It's available everywhere if you use the Chrome browser. Very accessible too. On phones may be you need 1 of the recent Android versions for that to work in apps.

2020-06-15 15:54:44

Yup but I'd prefer an offline password manager that doens't store my data in the cloud.

2020-06-15 16:48:06 (edited by jack 2020-06-15 16:49:01)

MyDearWatson wrote:

The best one is the 1 which you already have in your pocket. Did you know that Google provides a password manager. It's available everywhere if you use the Chrome browser. Very accessible too. On...

Yeah, those are safe alright. Safe in the hands of Alphabet's data buyers.
Google Passwords=bust
ICloud Keychain=bust
Brave's password manager=definite maybe depending on the site, but still doesn't replace a dedicated password manager.
I am using the one that Rocky Waters created, the one that was community-stress-tested. As risky as rolling your own crypto is, this seems to do the job well. Though a weakness is a lack of first-letter navigation (pygame limitations perhaps) and the inability to save your passwords file in an obscure folder with a different filename. Back on Windows XP I used that exact strategy with Anypassword, storing the passwords file in a folder you wouldn't bother to look, and renaming it. You also have no Windows Hello fingerprint support, or u2f for that matter.
For that reason, I'm thinking Bitwarden is next on the list, but not until I've purchased a u2f security key. That's the only way I'm trusting a cloud pwm, and Bitwarden's premium pan has support for exactly that.

2020-06-15 16:56:27

will bitwarden allow me to create a password vault offline and not in the cloud?

2020-06-15 16:56:55 (edited by Mayana 2020-06-15 16:57:46)

I love KeePass. Stores data locally instead of the server of some company with questionable intentions, in a database file with very strong encryption. It's portable, so you can take it with you on an USB Stick. There are clients for it for pretty much every OS. Haven't tested all of them obviously, but the Windows version is completely accessible (slightly more so once you enable screen reader support in the settings), and several of the Android apps on FDroid are accessible as well.
If you want a more privacy-friendly password manager, this is pretty much your best bet, imo.
https://keepass.info/

Bitwarden, which was suggested in post 3, would be my second choice. Sure, it can be a cloud-based password manager, but you can also self-host it if you feel like doing so. Since you want a completely offline manager though, KeePass still wins.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-06-15 17:06:35

Thanks for this info!
I've heard about and once tried keypass butI have a question.
Can I make this get passwords form my browser? and also can it tell me if my passwords are weak?
Thanks again for the info.

2020-06-15 17:08:11 (edited by Hijacker 2020-06-15 17:09:39)

Same here, KeePass is my choice. Totally accessible on Windows, using Strongbox on iOS, which is entirely accessible but not free, either you'll have to subscribe monthly/yearly or pay once forever.
There are also alternatives to Strongbox, like KeePassium or KeePass Touch, which are much cheaper, but don't offer as many features as Strongbox does.
I'm storing my password storage on my private server which is sitting next to me in my office right now, to be as secure as possible about where my data can be found and who can access it.
There is KeePass Tusk as a browser extension for Chrome, which is accessible and works fine.
Bitwarden would be my second choice as well, but KeePass works fine for now.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2020-06-15 18:05:14

@7:
I don't have any problem with that. I've tried other password managers including Keypass, but it's too much hassle for me to manage. We will see when Google messes with my privacy for using their service, which honestly, i don't see will ever happen. All my photos are backed up to Google Photos, My web activity is through Google's Chrome browser, and 20 plus Google apps are sitting in my phone with various permissions about camera, mike, etc etc. Hell my PC and laptop as well as my contacts are backed up to Google's servers. What can possibly go wrong.

2020-06-15 20:53:33

Honestly, excluding my passwords, I don't really care what else google collects, but passwords are on an advanced level so.

2020-06-16 00:48:12

I have used kee pass for a while, but switched to Bitwarden due to not finding any suitable IOS app for it. By suitable here we mean of course an app that can do autofill and use touch ID to authenticate, both of which Bitwarden does perfectly. As for questionable intentions, the thing is open source, so it can be examined all you want. Best yet, you can just host your instance and not worry about who gets access to the information at all. Now of course not everyone is able to do that, but it's an option.

2020-06-16 02:20:44

i would also recommend rocky's password manager. it's free, easy to use and designed from the ground up with blind people in mind. you can get it from www.rockywaters.co.uk.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2020-06-16 03:09:37

I'd like to see u2f or windows hello (there is a Python api for windows hello might I add). I feel like I'll have to roll my own lockdown with Armadilo drm for now. Having a flash drive authorization is not ideal, but at least it avoids any strongarm by someone just attempting to run the damn thing and brute force the master password, or keystroke log which is unlikely.

2020-06-16 21:55:31

@14, just FYI, Strongbox supports both of the features you were searching for before switching to Bitwarden. It also supports checking your database for insecurities (like passwords used more than once, too weak passwords specified by the credentials you select, or even already leaked passwords with the help of have I been pwned, which I like pretty much and started to change all of my passwords all after another step by step).

2020-06-16 22:20:04

Yeah, but Bitwarden supports all of that natively, and when I switched, which was last year, it wasn't really possible to buy apps on the appstore from Serbia, so I had to look for a free option.

2020-06-18 05:43:15

I didn't know about Strongbox, I'll have to look into that. KeePass Touch has suited me pretty well on my phone, but Strongbox seems to have some nice features.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-06-18 06:04:46

I use bitwarden. I've got a Yubikey to authenticate to my bitwarden vault. And yes, while you can host it, you can't set the desktop app to your hosted instance to my knowledge. The premium version is $10.00 per year -- that's a price that's hard to beat. And its fully open-source, too. I've done my best to switch all my accounts to use random passwords -- and I've pretty much succeeded.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-06-18 08:04:50 (edited by jack 2020-06-18 08:06:56)

@ethin: Which ubikey did you get? There's the newer usbC ubikey5 for $60, and then an older one for $20 or so. The $20 one would be tempting were it not for the fact Lastpass doesn't support it, which leads me to believe it's got an older, weaker encryption protocol. Also, good to know re: the desktop app. I wonder if that's something you could change in the config, i.e. what server to connect to. Then again, the source is always available, so it's nothing short of recompiling a redirected custom build that has the proper server details.
@supremekiller: It's a jury-rigged solution. I wrapped the compiled executable in Software Passport/Armadilo drm protection with no default/trial certificate. There's a persistent check for the flash drive as part of the hardware fingerprint, using native usb drive serial number detection. Being as it's python, I had to have it leave the data-after-execution alone, so while it isn't exactly layet upon layer of protection, it does the job. If a keystroke logger caught my master password, I wouldn't always have my flash drive plugged in, so I could move the pwm to another machine and see what's wrong on the primary, kill the problem, and quick change my master pass. No background processes are launching the thing without the flash drive inserted. And there aren't many passive strongarming utilities to break a program out of an Armadilo shell, being as most programs are for obvious reasons not autonimous, seeing as their original purpose would be to crack a program, not to passively strip a non-commercial password manager out of its shell. IT isn't perfect though, since the device is just a flash drive, not a ubikey. So I don't get the benefit of having to touch the key physically before it activates.

2020-06-18 12:35:54

Are yubi keys worth it? I've seen them but have nevre tried them.

2020-06-18 14:10:04

Hello. I personally use bitwarden. I was using the one built into chrome but given Google's recent track record with the incognito tracking with chrome I completely switched away from chrome and went to brave. The only thing is the bitwarden app can use a bit of work on the IOS app. Some parts of it you have to drag your finger on the screen to get where you need to go but that is only viewing passwords when you click on them and the password generation part of the app. I will be contacting them and see if they have been made known of this. But don't let that  stop you from using on IOS. I have been using it for 2 weeks or so and find it very usable and it works perfectly on a browser or the windows app. Can't speak to the mac app. If you guys want to read an article about the chrome tracking thing, here you go.
https://thenextweb.com/apps/2020/06/04/ … e-lawsuit/
Also another note on bitwarden. You can have it integrate into the iPhone keyboard and you can autofill passwords for apps and websites no problem. I have been looking for something like this for years and finally found. I hope this helps you all out.

2020-06-18 14:13:23

hmm, I personally don't relaly trust any password manager that stores my password on some random server.

2020-06-18 17:21:41

Bitwarden is open source. It can be professionally audited. So yes, your password is stored on a sever. Under multiple layers of encryption. And it's self-deployable. I still don't trust server-hosted password managers without a ubikey though, since that's one impassable obstacle for hackers. Even if they were to penetrate the server the data would be pretty useless to them long enough for users to be warned, and hopefully trusted to change their passwords (a long endeavor, but it will always, always take less time to change your password on your accounts than it will take to recover from identity theft/account takeovers..