2020-05-21 19:31:16 (edited by alisson 2020-05-21 19:33:23)

yep, I'm using fmod because fmod has support for plugins and with that hrtf. Irrklang and bass from far as I know they don't have hrtf. Besides from that, A Heros Call was used monogame plus fmod and oculus spatializer, and worked very well. Of course is a paid game, but they did a very great work.

Sorry for my english

2020-05-21 21:15:56

AHC was quite impressive and that's actually what got me interested in games in C#. AHC is probably the closest thing we're going to get any time soon that's even close to a sighty RPG.

2020-05-21 21:47:43

Being C# neither helped nor hurt AHC as far as I know.  Could have used any number of other things.  C# is only really popular in gaming because of unity; it's neither particularly well-suited nor particularly ill-suited for it as a language.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-05-22 00:28:25

That is absolutely true but seeing how well it handled the task made me gain interest.

2020-05-22 09:07:05

As alisson said, We know the limitations about fmod license, but comparing with other HRTF capable engines was the more friendli compare with others.

Two other options that I've considered was openal, and slab3d. The last have a very impressive results, but have problems with one shot sounds because was designed to be used as an sound scene dessigner with multiple looping streams working on it, or similar; but if you want to simulate various sounds while you are rendering a scene is very hard to handle this. And openal... well, sounds very good, but it only supports raw pcm streams and you have to use other layouts first to decode sound formats, and fmod can handle all of these things directly. For now fmod directly lack of HRTF, but you can implement it using the plugins of oculus, resonance audio, or steam audio.

But well. ABout c# I love the languaje, works fine, have a good performance ( I know that isn't the best so far) and for owr purposes is OK. If you preffer c++ or other stuff like rust, take your pill and well. Because that we have a lot of good languages that can handle all of these good things.

So! If some one knows a good openal Wrapper for c# Or another sound engine working over openal for c# I'm happi to ear you :3, because more options more fun.

A, I know that monogame can use openal for some platforms, but you can't modify directly the properties of the openal used with the engine; someone of audiogames got enable HRTF in monogame, modifing the source of the project and passing the corresponding config flags at the openal initialization time, but as I know, for now monogame don't give to you the option to enable it directly configuring your engine :3

sooo. that its. smile

pd: irrklang... O, irrklang I love that library; is so sad that it not been updated a lot of time ago; and I asked to the developer about HRTF, but... for now aparentli don't have interest on update the librari to support it.

About bass... Well, I don't know really much about bass; I know that it don't support HRTF for now, but well.

bye

2020-05-22 17:33:15

OpenAL is anywhere between a dead end and really great depending on a bunch of factors up to and including luck.  I think modern versions of OpenALSoft might be reliable.  There is a reason I'm writing Synthizer.

To get OpenAL to work you grab libsndfile and use that for decoding and create the buffers yourself.

Also, updating audio engines to do HRTF is hard.  The rest of what people do for audio engines requires very little math, but HRTF needs college-level calculus minimum to understand all of what's going on.

My Blog

2020-05-23 23:03:30

I know all the things and math problems that can have implement HRTF in a sound engine; because that aren't much engines (and the majority through plugins) that currently had implemented HRTF in their features.

I know that probably openal is one of the best implementations, including that it isn't attached to one and specific HRTF table, so you can configure and choose the better HRTF table for your purposes, your head size, etc. But, all the wrappers that exist for c# for openal, aren't totally updated; a bunch of these are outdated, don't implements the all corresponding flags for config the HRTF characteristics, you have to deal with the openal configuration of the end user... And well, if you want do all things for your self, probably you have to dig into c++ code, and... No thanks I don't wanna touch that side of dam pointers.

Because that, fmod with their official c# wrapper was the best option for this project. smile

So, what is that synthesizer project that you are talking about?

2020-05-24 00:29:35

@32
I'm writing an HRTF engine from scratch in C++ under the Unlicense, with a C API.  It's here.  It's not ready for wide usage yet, but should be in the near future, probably on the order of a month or two until some degree of stability and 3-4 months before it has reverb and all the other things you'd want.  There's an audiogames.net thread here for when I have progress (which should be soon, even though that's not been updated in a while).  Eventually it'll get a blog instead.

4-5 years ago, my first attempt at 3d audio was using OpenALSoft.  I had to fork it and hack it to have HRTF enabled reliably, and my current implementation sounds almost as good without having tried super hard.  It may have improved a lot since then, but I doubt it.

Changing the HRTF table doesn't matter.  There aren't enough datasets available, processing what datasets we do have requires hours of time and a good bit of know-how, and making a dataset for yourself requires hypothetical things from papers by Microsoft without any real-world implementation outside their research lab or access to an anechoic chamber for something like 8 hours.

I don't object to Fmod on a technical standpoint.  I object to Fmod on a licensing standpoint.  "You can release one piece of software every 12 months or you have to give us at least $5000" does not make me happy.

My Blog

2020-06-10 07:47:24

@camlord interesting, interesting; I've found that topic the other day. Will be interesting smile

About Fmod... yea, I know, but... is rare the case on that you want release a commercial software in less than 12 months; and 5000 usd for a commercial license... Well if you really don't have better options that fit with your needs... in terms of easy use and features.

They just are selling their program smile