2020-05-10 15:01:36

So forgive me, but I share the same sentiment as others: Why limit the testing to May 31st? Moreover, why release a public alpha if you already have the beta testers lined up for the engine? This is analogous to taking a candy away from a baby. Why not keep this private until your game hits the market?

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 15:04:47

o

seb2314
thanks i m download again new version and find thanks again

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 15:15:44

There are a few questions. Will it be possible to further make online games using this engine? Will it be possible to create my own classes, not stereotyped, like a magician, warrior, archer, but something with my own names? Maybe it was indicated in the video, but I do not know English, so I can not watch it

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 15:22:22

hi. when i launch it, it asks for a product key, how to get it

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 15:38:11

@28. I don't believe online games will be possible with this tool
@29
It's literally right there on the page before the download link

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 16:11:02

I have some questions.
1. Can I change class names?
2. How to edit class stats?

ice, fire, water, thunder.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 16:20:29

Good stuff! Downloading as we speak.
To anyone butthurt about the beta expiring in three weeks, this is precisely how most *most* public alpha/beta periods are done, especially for a commercial project. Also, Paul can correct me if I'm wrong, but when it's said that projects will be lost after the beta period, is that due to the fact that the full product will be written in another language entirely and older projects wouldn't be compatible in the first place?
Perhaps it would also pay to give some honest feedback if you're going to request a longer beta period when the thing literally just launched, maybe post a video of this killer game that you made so that if, hypothetically, popular demand influenced whether or not to extend the testing period, they'd have actual legitimate usage and feedback backing that up. Keep in mind that he did say public testing periods are not meant to be stretched out much either.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 16:36:01

I just downloaded it right now!

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 16:45:30

Hi everyone,
I’ll try to answer the questions which have come in below:
@Wlomaz, , not sure why its reading like that, seems to be fine in my version. maybe it’s a jaws or browser issue causing the weird formatting.
@ threeblindnoises, we took the decision to implement a smaller map size for the public version for various reasons.  One was just as a restriction to prevent people trying to use Sable past its expiry date. Sadly even with Sable out for less than half a day I’ve already seen people discussing ways to try and break through my security to extend  their use of the software, sadly its this kind of behaviour which makes us have to have some restrictions in place. The other is that bigger maps require slightly more good map management skills to keep saving and loading times optimised , we thought rather than putting out extensive documentation on this , a smaller map excluded this extra documentation requirement. I appreciate it is smaller than some would like, a 100 x 100 x 2 is still 20,000 tiles in total tile space, you can use that 20000 allocation how you want, so you could have a 50 x50  x 8 map size if you wanted. . The private testing team are working with a 400 x 400 x1 which is 160,000 total tile limit, I’d like to work on optimising saving and loading further before full  official release.
-@pool, sorry about the documentation issue earlier, if you or anyone else doesn’t have any documentation  please email me directly and I will be happy to email you back a copy
-@Amerikranian, thanks for the post, regarding testers, , we don’t have beta testers already lined up. A few weeks ago we took on a team of ten private testers, but these are alpha testers who have been busy tirelessly working away finding bugs, so a stable version could come out to the public today. The original plan was to only have a small private team of  alpha testers since Sable is still only in such early stages of development , but since we’ve had such fantastic support from the community towards the project, what with people also being on lock down due to the current corona situation, we wanted to do our part  by extending the alpha test version out  to the whole community as a thanks for all their continued support. Sable is a long way of being complete, but this way people get a chance to try Sable first hand, whilst we work away on the engine and our first game title. Hope that answers your questions and sorry about any confusion  about what stage of development this is at, but it is definitely only alpha, in fact it was only a couple of weeks ago it came out of pre-alpha
@ Vlad95, online play isn’t something we have planned, but we would like to extend the class system to include more customisation
@ Maxi-As Amerikranian pointed out you can find the product key on the sable download page. the link to that is here: https://ebonskystudios.com/sable-alpha-download/
@ Pates, thanks for the post, the class systems are currently hard coded in, so you can’t at present create your own. If you want to alter their stats you could do this at present through creating armour, weapons or passive abilities, even items if you wanted.
@Jack. Thanks for your comments and  understanding our reasoning for having the 3 week expiry.  To answer the question you brought up, one of the reason that projects won’t work in later versions of Sable , is that where Sable  is still in such early stages of development  there are likely to be new functionality an features, which may not be compatible with this version. as a developer  it would hugely slow down the development process if I had to continually work on implementing new code so that it didn’t affect peoples current projects, which is made even harder with me having no access to each individual project and bug testing to ensure I haven’t inadvertently broken something in their game, as if people had longer to work on maps/projects and then I put in new code which broke those projects I’m sure I’d have some pretty angry potential future customers smile I do really appreciate you standing up for our decision to have limited access, hopefully others can see this too, in that it is better to have had a chance to play with Sable for three weeks, than to have never gotten to play with sable at all.

Just as a final note, I want to say thanks for all the positive comments, I hope people are enjoying Sable, but I also want to put a huge shout out to the private testing team who really have been hard at work behind the scenes finding bugs so everyone could have the stable version of Sable we managed to put out today. , so thanks to each and every tester and for you all downloading sable today to!
Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCukIw1 … 9ps1vbnWMg
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 16:49:36

I have finished creating Palet Town from Pokemon red. This is amazing!

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2020-05-10 16:57:46

How can I put zones on a map.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:00:53

Hi,

@ Gameulation,, that is so  cool you have recreated Pallett town, I’m really pleased to hear you are having so much fun playing around with Sable, and again, I’m really impressed you have recreated Pallet town, and all in just a few hours, very impressive.

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCukIw1 … 9ps1vbnWMg

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-10 17:05:31

Hi,

@ an Idiot (that feels really rude to start my message off like that, maybe I should say at post  36 instead hahaha). What are you after zones for? If its for enemies, you could simply use the enemy banding tool and make specific enemies only appear on specific terrain types. Like you might set Wolves to only appear  in forest terrain  for example, or a water Nymph to only appear on water terrain etc.

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCukIw1 … 9ps1vbnWMg

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:05:33

Hello,
I have some ideas.
1. Custom class names, start stats etc.
2. Custom option names in game.
3. Custom exp required for the next level.
4. Map styles. 2d side scrolling, 3 d.
5. Jumping.
6. Selecting walk speed.
7. Running.
8. Wall radar, if wall is behind me, i will heard low sound, if the wall is on my left i will hear left channel sound etc.
9. Possibility to playing games with out sable engine app, like compilation in bgt.
I have other ideas.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:06:31

AA, one more idea. Custom keys!

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:18:53 (edited by jack 2020-05-10 18:35:58)

pates wrote:

9. Possibility to playing games with out sable engine app, like compilation in bgt.

That's a bit redundant, as the commercial final release will no doubt have that ability. Well, ok. Your game may be bundled with a dll, or be inside an executable with an express copy of the engine powering your game behind the scenes, but that's no different from your Unity/Unreal/Gamer-Maker-Studio engines that power most mainstream titles. IN fact each BGT game is a copy of hte BGT virtual machine plus the game data hanging at the end (one of the reasons why external drm systems don't play nice with the default data/memory location management settings.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:19:36

More ideas!
1. Updater system, if game creator will put setup on custom server, sable will have a updater system.
2. 2 battle styles. Turnbased, realtime.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:20:44

Yes, that's on my mind!

jack wrote:
pates wrote:

That's a bit redundant, as the commercial final rlease will no doubt have that ability. Well, ok. Your game may be bundled with a dll, or be inside an executable with an express copy of the engine powering your game behind the scenes, but that's no different from your Unity/Unreal/Gamer-Maker-Studio engines that power most mainstream titles. IN fact each BGT game is a copy of hte BGT virtual machine plus the game data hanging at the end (one of the reasons why external drm systems don't play nice with the default data/memory location management settings.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:23:56

@lem: That's fair, even more especially when considering the fact that the time that would have to be spent grandfathering older projects into any newer framework would obviously much rather be spent improving and polishing the full product.
Speaking of, I believe I have found a bug in the current build during screen-reader calibration. Tried this with several different synthesizer and configurations, and two different NVDA builds, the first one being an alpha version of the 2020.1 branch and the second being 2019.2.1. The version number of the first NVDA is noted in the recording of the results of the calibration, with the barrel getting smashed several seconds after the speech finishes. Will test with JAWS 2020 later.
https://sndup.net/9kw5/a

Thumbs up +1

2020-05-10 17:24:55

Hay Paul, I already figured out how to use the building creater to set down a building, but remove it's door and make it lead to another map so the building's inside is bigger than it's outside.
One question though.
If I don't want a place to have an ambience, do I just press escape when Sable asks for that, or do I have to make a file called silence?
Today's mother's day, so I probably won't have much to post until tomorrow.
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:27:02

Try escape key, this should work.
Another idea, ammo system, weather, diving, boats and other wehicles.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:33:20

Hi I'm looking for the panning sounds.  I want to check out what sounds are their.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:36:06

Hi.
How do I edit map length or with after it is created?. Is that posseble? And how to delete a map?

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2020-05-10 17:40:18

Hi Lem, As you have the private team of 10, can they not receive their own updates, and we continueto use this alpha until the final game engine is released? i know it is a proof of concept, all of this, but what is the harm in people keeping this apha version around, knowing you are, with a privately selected team of testers, writing the final engine which may, let's say for arguments sake say be between 1-2 years away for public usage? that way we can really take time to craft our games, and then finish them off with the final build, assuming of course, it is all not re-written outside of BGT? Whilst I, and others understand that the private test team are helping to shape the final game, i feel that limiting everyone elseto 3 weeks is counter-productive.

Thumbs up

2020-05-10 17:53:48 (edited by Vazbol 2020-05-10 18:00:35)

I'll need to review the videos again to answer this question if it was before, but I'm curious.

Is it possible to set alternative vital statistic values to perform certain functions?

i.e:  A meter that grows from dealing/taking damage to activate certain abilities, or something that's getting more popular, a meter to initiate a vulnerability/stagger state on a target when certain attacks are used and it's maxed out?

Or something that does both? can I implement a resource system for my characters that they can choose to charge up rather than performing an action, and allow characters to expend it to improve the end result of an ability? As well, allow them to overexpend more points than they have, going into the negative and setting them to skip their turns doing the charge action to get back to 0?

Also another thought, is speed considered a stat to determine turn order of characters/enemies/ Would it also be possible to make or design abilities or attacks to influence the turn order in any way, like throwing out a snare that results in the target going last, and measuring their speed with other snared/entangled targets?

yes, some of these ideas come from more modern turn base RPG's that haven been released recently. The Turn orders abilities/stagger is something spotted in octopath Traveler, and the expenditure/over-expenditure stuff comes from what was noticed in the demo of Bravely Default 2. Two games release on modern console, still invoke a more retro feel ont he approach, and are generally turn-based rpg's with menus, abilities/attacks and the ever-present defend command tongue

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

Thumbs up