2021-04-22 11:50:13

Ah, thanx and best of luck.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-04-22 22:26:23

@450
Awesome, thank you. Very much looking forward to 0.9. I've been glancing over the header files, and there's some interesting new functions coming up.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-22 23:40:40

Yeah.  It's going to be a long time between releases but that's because 0.9 is going to drop a bunch of things.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-04-24 13:50:20

@453
Ooh, good job! If you don't mind me asking are we talking wait 6 weeks? Or 6 months? I don't mind either way, it'll just dictate how much Synthizer-facing work I'll do in the near term.

Thanks for all your hard work.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-24 18:07:26

6 months, haha no.  More like 6 weeks but probably less than that, especially since the mac mini turned up 2 weeks early.

My Blog

2021-04-24 23:34:29

Ok. Mac is done.  You can't really use it yet because it's entangled with 0.9 and I can't backport, but once 0.9 lands you'll have it.

My Blog

2021-04-25 09:39:45

Thanx a lot for making this audio library cross platform. The more platforms, the better. I think you've hit about all the possible computer platforms for now haha

best regards

2021-04-25 13:11:18

@456
Claire says thank you. smile

@457
Don't forget that Camlorn has sunk some of his own money (and lots of his time) into this. If you appreciate what he's doing, you can always sponser him.

I'm not trying to bully anyone into this BTW, it's more that I had to look pretty hard to figure out how to do it.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-25 15:39:54

@458
Yeah.  Part of the 0.9 release is pushing the sponsorship thing harder.  There's good points and bad points at which to push that as the author and "Hi I haven't done anything at all public-facing in a month or two" is not it.

@457
I mean I think it probably also works on FreeBSD, so there.  Haven't tried it and not going to, but Miniaudio supports it and the changes for mac turned out to be less than 10 lines, all places where I was violating the C++ standard and none specific to mac.  The most expensive less than 10 lines I've ever coded for a personal project being as I bought a computer for it.  But still.

My Blog

2021-04-25 18:09:43

@459
Personally, I don't care how much downtime you have. I'm still using Synthizer in my projects, and it's still better than the alternatives, so IMHO it's more than worth the $1 / month I'm paying for it. Beats the hell out of Netflix anyhow! smile

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-25 18:41:13

Yeah.  miniaudio of all things might slowly become a competitor, but it's public domain so I can and totally will just grab and copy/paste his code if it comes to it, lol.

I'm not actually doing downtime, but there's nothing left in terms of issues that I don't know how to handle, save maybe surround sound which might require buying more hardware.  But 0.9 is supposed to be the last release with an API breakage before 1.0, so instead of releasing early and often I'm going nuts doing that.  But the upshot is that short of watching GitHub's commit logs and stuff it looks like nothing is going on.

My Blog

2021-04-25 20:02:57

@457 i will surely be sponsering synthizer. I just don't know when, but i know i will, it's my goal. I don't i've ever heard such a good open source audio library ever, and it's still expanding.

best regards

2021-05-24 01:19:37

Ok, sadly not the 0.9 announcement.  Instead it's the "yes 0.9 will have libsndfile support" announcement, so everyone waiting for ogg can stop waiting, provided that you're willing to distribute that dll and enable it.  We aren't going to get better than this until dr_vorbis is stable, so the answer to anyone who asks for an alternative to distributing libsndfile is "sorry, but no".

My Blog

2021-06-04 04:40:19 (edited by Stormy 2021-06-04 04:40:57)

There are certain panning behaviors that I'd like to try and minimize. At the moment, for example, if you stand to the right of a source by one coordinate, the source is panning hard left in my experience. This leads to a situation where you can walk past a sound source, but when you are directly on its axis the panning is distractingly extreme. Are there any tips on parameters I can adjust to make this less intense? Should I try a nonlinear strategy? I can provide a recording if the explanation isn't very clear.

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2021-06-04 06:26:48

That sounds like you don't have HRTF enabled and you also aren't using the library in a realistic fashion.  I'm going to guess that you're trying to get Source3D to work for something that's not a first person viewpoint.  You probably want to switch to PannedSource and drive it yourself with panning_scalar if that's the case.

Otherwise no, therere's nothing you can do, and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing you can do in other libraries either.  This is a simulation of the real world, and if you move the sound through the center of the listener's head it's going to break down for that reason.

My Blog

2021-06-04 17:35:29

Hm, sounds like some kind of "how to use HRTF panning properly and realistically" tutorial is needed, I noticed a few people already who think that they can just use it like a usual panner. Let's see if I can find some time to do it or maybe even someone else wants to do it.

2021-06-04 19:12:12

I mean yeah, but that starts at "how to use trigonometry and vectors properly" which is the problem.  At the end of the day Source3D is only useful for first-person games.  And either you know how to do that right already or you don't.  getting the people who don't to the point of being able to do so is probably a lot of work.

My Blog

2021-06-04 19:59:45

The game I'm working on where I see this is not first person, but I have used Synthizer in a first person game and noticed the warping as well. (to a much lesser and nonimportant degree) That was likely the result of moving by much smaller increments than the game I'm working on now. I figured that handling panning on my own would likely be the solution but wanted to make sure. If I'm not mistaken, it's been mentioned in the topic already that side scrolling/other types of games requiring specific panning would be left to their own devices. (I'm not using HRTF by the way)

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2021-06-04 20:04:07

Yeah, so firstly if you're not using HRTF in first person you're missing out by a lot.  It matters less for non-first-person stuff.

Secondly, I bet your first person game modeled players as a point and still let the sound go through the head.  If not maybe there's more of a problem than I think.  There's improvements that I want to make for things close to the head, though.

And yeah, things that aren't first person are on their own.  I can't make a one size fits all model for sidescrollers or whatever else.  Maybe in the future if everyone converges on one specific thing, but not now.  Encoding something we might all hate in SYnthizer isn't something I would want to do.

My Blog

2021-06-24 18:19:37

Looking forward to the 0.9.0 release smile

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2021-06-24 19:03:40

Yes, I know, I know.  I've been silent for a while.  but as I said on Twitter it's code complete.  I'm rewriting the manual now.  Should only be a week or two depending on how this weekend goes--if I'm not busy and the record heatwave isn't boiling my apartment then maybe I'll get that done.

My Blog

2021-07-02 21:35:00

Hello @camlorn, Sorry if this question was asked before and I missed it, But will 0.9 come with the support of loading from bytes?

2021-07-02 22:26:00

it will come with support for loading and streaming from anything you might want to load or stream from, at least to the extent possible if you're not going to write your own audio library with custom internals.  The story around being able to mathematically generate samples or whatever and throw them in post-decoding is still weak but no one here has ever asked me for that except maybe one person.

Got a 3.5 day weekend and most of the new manual is done so hopefully it will also be relatively quick.

My Blog

2021-07-02 22:45:31

Specifically:

For buffers from bytes: https://github.com/synthizer/synthizer/ … _memory.py

For custom streams: https://github.com/synthizer/synthizer/ … _stream.py

I can't link the WIP manual because CI doesn't host it anywhere save as a zip and those links may not stay stable anyway, but that's what it will look like.

My Blog

2021-07-03 01:11:30

yeah, about the mathematically generating samples thing, I remember me asking it at some point, synthesizing sine waves and playing it through synthizer on demand or something. Btw, now that memory bytes are supported, does it mean I can stream content directly recorded from the mic and apply probably other effects and stuff to it, then play it like a normal source?
If so, synthizer doesn't necessarely need to implement recording itself, I can do that with something like bass, then pipe the bytes through to synthizer for playback or something.